PDA

View Full Version : Ex police

t4 chump
Monday 11th July 2011, 23:21
Anyone every bought an ex police t5? Are they as much of a wreck as i think or a bargin

The Flying Moose
Monday 11th July 2011, 23:30
I think its really on a case by case basis. I know when I used to drive them I didnt hang around. Most have had a life of cruising and occassional flat out runs. Remember though there is a high chance its had a few bangs in its life time.

As for servicing and maintainance, always maintained at a high standard as they cant afford to break down.

With any car a thorough inspection is needed. If its come straight from the Police then you shouldnt find any major problems.

t4 chump
Monday 11th July 2011, 23:32
I think its really on a case by case basis. I know when I used to drive them I didnt hang around. Most have had a life of cruising and occassional flat out runs. Remember though there is a high chance its had a few bangs in its life time.

As for servicing and maintainance, always maintained at a high standard as they cant afford to break down.

With any car a thorough inspection is needed. If its come straight from the Police then you shouldnt find any major problems.

Were u in the traffic police?

Al115
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 00:22
Yes I bought one and owned it for 3 years. Basically - they are cheap for a reason! They are generally tired and will need a lot of maintenance. Fine if you like that sort of thing, not if you don't!

lance
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 09:43
There where cheaper new due to very basic trim some are ok but I couldnt live with one personally.

philt6
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 10:38
I'm on my second one now.(Both from the same dealer)
Had it for 4 years no problems
1st MOT cost me 500 pound wear and tear items so can't complain,tyres exhaust.
Other MOT's bulbs that was it.
Driver's seat is starting to wear on the side.
Got in touch with the police force that had and they posted out a printout of all work done to it.
Fast and comfortable.
Plus it's in white so all the chav/boy racers s@2T themselves when you pull up behind them with the Hi Viz jacket on.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 12:15
Were u in the traffic police?

No just regular beat mate. However during probationary period you spend some time with the traffic department.

We did have a few as regular beat cars too in Lincs. Overkill but we used to get the tired traffic hand me downs.

t4 chump
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 15:06
Got in touch with the police force that had and they posted out a printout of all work done to it.
Fast and comfortable.
Plus it's in white so all the chav/boy racers s@2T themselves when you pull up behind them with the Hi Viz jacket on.

They slow down at nite when im behind to those xenons work wonders lol

t4 chump
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 15:07
No just regular beat mate. However during probationary period you spend some time with the traffic department.

We did have a few as regular beat cars too in Lincs. Overkill but we used to get the tired traffic hand me downs.

No taking about stolen goods around you then lol

sonic-1
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 19:17
personaly i wouldnt risk a patrol traffic car , the ones used for training have hard life to but dont get used in tactical stops !!!! they do get regular servicing but they do get thrashed far more than most cars on the road , the brakes get a very hard time as with the suspension , police drivers do get it wrong and if its just a heavy kerbing most will keep quiet as the form filling is a pain and it takes the car off the road , any damage will get picked up over next couple of shifts by someone else on the visual at start of shift then its not your prob (normaly odd tyer wear )

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 19:27
No taking about stolen goods around you then lol

All in the past now my friend. I havnt been with the Police for just over three years.

t4 chump
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 21:44
All in the past now my friend. I havnt been with the Police for just over three years.

Phew wanna buy a rolax watch lol

Al115
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 22:34

Yeah SO about that ps3 you just sold me... :)

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 00:15
Yeah SO about that ps3 you just sold me... :)

Did you know 90% of all stollen goods end up in Hull?

Well thats where that came from ;)

Only kidding.

WOODY T5
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 00:18
Did you know 90% of all stollen goods end up in Hull?

Well thats where that came from ;)

Only kidding.so whats why your in hull alot u could of let me in on it?

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 00:30
so whats why your in hull alot u could of let me in on it?

Haha, you been on the apples again Dean?

Masterofmadness
Monday 18th July 2011, 18:32
I've got a ex police t5 and love it. I bought it for a very reasonable price which meant when the auto box started to misbehave it didn't take much mulling over to decide to get it sorted. It's currently having the auto box rebuilt and I can't wait to get it back! I've spoken to the force that had it and they've told me everything that's been replaced and all I can say is..... Wow no expense spared, they do everything!
I'm also lucky and mines silver! Admitidly the dealer that did the decommission is no bodywork perfectionist but it's passable for now! I looked at quite a few and alot of them had 160-180k min on the clock and mines only got 130k on it and going on the fact I use it at the weekends only and the gearbox is gonna be sorted very soon I should have it for a while

johny the monkey
Monday 18th July 2011, 19:23
Fast and comfortable.

you say that you spoke to the police force that had it, how did you find out which force had it. I have a 97 v70 t5 that is white and has basic trim, but I am unsure that it was a police car or not. Its very tidy if it was, or very well loved. Is there anyway i can find out if it was a forces car, and if so where can i do this.

M-R-P
Wednesday 20th July 2011, 23:46
you say that you spoke to the police force that had it, how did you find out which force had it. I have a 97 v70 t5 that is white and has basic trim, but I am unsure that it was a police car or not. Its very tidy if it was, or very well loved. Is there anyway i can find out if it was a forces car, and if so where can i do this.

look in the front grille for two brackets (black for stealth) that would have held blue strobes. Also look for evidence of holes in the roof (especially if your roof is slightly off colour), two about 1" apart 6" in from the driver's side middle pillar. and one at the back in the middle, about 3" in from the tailgate seal.
Finally has it got it's original stereo? If the answer is no to any of the above, at worst, it may have been a driver training car, probably just well loved tho. if you find signs of plod use, with some careful googling, you can find some history. In 3 hours I found that mine was registered to Leicester traffic division and even found a photo. good luck.

Masterofmadness
Thursday 21st July 2011, 17:25
look in the front grille for two brackets (black for stealth) that would have held blue strobes. Also look for evidence of holes in the roof (especially if your roof is slightly off colour), two about 1" apart 6" in from the driver's side middle pillar. and one at the back in the middle, about 3" in from the tailgate seal.
Finally has it got it's original stereo? If the answer is no to any of the above, at worst, it may have been a driver training car, probably just well loved tho. if you find signs of plod use, with some careful googling, you can find some history. In 3 hours I found that mine was registered to Leicester traffic division and even found a photo. good luck.

Reference to google, I put my reg in google and it appears there are hardcore plod car spotters who upload their photos to various sites. When I bought mine I was told it was a north Wales car, a google search threw up a picture taken not far from Cardiff which clearly wasn't north wales! One email to south Wales police hq and they confirmed it was one of their cars.

volvot5lisa
Thursday 21st July 2011, 20:27
hi. i had 3 of these 1st 2 were straight from the police and were faultless even with nearly 200k on the clock, tuned them both with no problems. 3rd 1 had a previous owner after the police with 150k on the clock and was a complete bag of s@@t ! would have no doubts about buying another as long as it was direct from the police, the servicing is 2nd to none. hope this helps.

jbconno
Thursday 21st July 2011, 21:56

Easy. If its a P1 V70 the cops have a calibrated speedo sticker in the middle of the speedo. It will be a rectangular sticker with "calibrated IRS Nottingham" and a unique serial number.

johny the monkey
Thursday 21st July 2011, 21:59
cheers for that, but no signs on bodywork at all, will look for light brackets but never seen anything before. Car came with volvo radio, all be it a cassette player but had code written on a piece of paper. will delve

jbconno
Thursday 21st July 2011, 22:37
cheers for that, but no signs on bodywork at all, will look for light brackets but never seen anything before. Car came with volvo radio, all be it a cassette player but had code written on a piece of paper. will delve

Have you got a calibration sticker in the centre of the speedo ?

philt6
Wednesday 27th July 2011, 11:14

Apologies for delay in replying.
It was on the V5 Document and the dealer confirmed it sent them an E-mail asking for some details and they posted out a rather large package with the history inside it.
Plus in the glovebox was the instruction booklet for the radio they use and a Tide time table for the area.

jbconno
Wednesday 27th July 2011, 12:02
Which force was it from ?

Al115
Wednesday 27th July 2011, 12:50
So yours didn't have the spent rounds under the carpets like mine did? :D

M-R-P
Wednesday 27th July 2011, 13:08
So yours didn't have the spent rounds under the carpets like mine did? :D

Sister-in-law got a 2.0 focus from armed response, had live rounds under the back seat!

Al115
Wednesday 27th July 2011, 14:21
Sister-in-law got a 2.0 focus from armed response, had live rounds under the back seat!

Amazing that they didn't have to account for them at the end of each shift...

ps> a 2.0 Focus as an ARV... seriously...? :D

philt6
Wednesday 27th July 2011, 14:39
Which force was it from ?

Dfyd Powys

M-R-P
Wednesday 27th July 2011, 15:59
Amazing that they didn't have to account for them at the end of each shift...

ps> a 2.0 Focus as an ARV... seriously...? :D

That was the assumption, armed plod. Don't think the armour and mesh screens were fitted to this model...LOL ;)

All the in-laws got ex plod -
Sister in law - 2.0 focus fully loaded - leather etc.
Brother in law - 1.4 astra - gte pack, stage 1 map, adjustable struts, overcoils
Brother in law - 1.9 honda accord fully loaded
Father in law - lexus rx300 se + full comfort pack, cameras, Corinthian leather, all imaginable toys and gizmos
And of course, my T-5
Ex plod... money no object servicing. it's good to see my council tax going towards something worthwhile. :)