PDA

View Full Version : Squealing brakes

Tomcat
Monday 11th July 2011, 08:57
Car seems to have developed noisy brakes, so much so it's been sounding like a damn bus stopping. Pulled the brakes apart the other day and slopped loads of copper slip on the back of the pads and it's helped but they're still squeeky. As much as I'd love to just ripout the discs and pads and replace them with new I can't afford it at the minute. Any suggestions?, discs don't look to worn and pads look fairly new.

Vikingxl
Monday 11th July 2011, 09:06
Easy fix dont use the brakes

Al115
Monday 11th July 2011, 09:06
Did you fit the anti-squeal shims on the rears?... just a thought.

Tomcat
Monday 11th July 2011, 09:09
Was quite surprised to find that there's anti squeel shims on all of them....(come to think of it I think maybe one of the rear is missing them).

Porcine_Aviator
Monday 11th July 2011, 09:12
Have you checked that a local cat isn't stuck in there some where? :)

I know I'm probably stating the obvious but is there any chance that the pads are low?
Did you check the shims and are the pads and disks clean?

Now the odd one, have you checked the rear brakes, if they are dirty then it puts extra load on the front which could cause them to complain.

(when I started this reply TC had only just asked the question, then my browser crashed and by the time I got back you lot had said what I was going to say :))

Tomcat
Monday 11th July 2011, 09:21
All the discs look clean and in pretty good condition, it wasn't squeeling like this previously so bit surprised that it's developed so quickly.

t5 pete
Monday 11th July 2011, 09:52
The main problem is glazing give everything a dam good clean with brake and clutch cleaner also it will not hurt to give the pads and discs a rub over with some Henry paper.
Since I've fitted grooved discs to myne I never get a noise out of them do when there ready to be changed think about buying a set

p fandango
Monday 11th July 2011, 10:26
when there ready to be changed think about buying a set
just don't touch EBC

Tomcat
Monday 11th July 2011, 12:44
The main problem is glazing give everything a dam good clean with brake and clutch cleaner also it will not hurt to give the pads and discs a rub over with some Henry paper.
Since I've fitted grooved discs to myne I never get a noise out of them do when there ready to be changed think about buying a set

I normaly do give the discs a little 'rub down' with some abrasive paper, don't know why I didn't do it the other day while everything was apart, have to see if I can find time later on.

The Flying Banana
Monday 11th July 2011, 13:10
it might also be that the pad has worn down to a point where there is a bit of harder compound in the pad and needs to be worn past this to stop the squeeling ( pads arent always the quality they used to be )

p fandango
Monday 11th July 2011, 13:20
i remember my Jeep having a really bad squeal, had a look & the pads had fell out lol

Porcine_Aviator
Monday 11th July 2011, 15:27
i remember my Jeep having a really bad squeal, had a look & the pads had fell out lol

It's being so cheerful that keeps him going :)

Tomcat
Monday 11th July 2011, 15:35
The pads look fairly new (loads of material left yet), so I'm going to stick some anti squeel compound on the back of the pads and give the discs a scuff up, failing that it's a can of petrol and a box of matches.

GreenMachine
Monday 11th July 2011, 22:20
not one I like much but sometime works - spread a bit of "copperslip" onto the back of the pads - sometimes works - just reread your post - youve done that!

p fandango
Monday 11th July 2011, 22:22
not one I like much but sometime works - spread a bit of "copperslip" onto the back of the pads - sometimes works
i know someone who copper grease'd the front of the pad lol

t5 pete
Monday 11th July 2011, 22:36

i hope thats not a confession pedro lol

p fandango
Monday 11th July 2011, 22:40
i hope thats not a confession pedro lol
grease, oil, car cleaning stuff i don't touch any of them lol. It was actually a lad on work experience at a Peugeot main dealer, luckily(ish) the mechanic who was supposed to be watching/teaching him took it for a test drive before they gave it back to the customer & found the problem lol

Volvostorm
Monday 11th July 2011, 22:46

I've seen people fit pads with the metal backing against the disc! They squealed well!

Jaseb77
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 11:19
The pads look fairly new (loads of material left yet), so I'm going to stick some anti squeel compound on the back of the pads and give the discs a scuff up, failing that it's a can of petrol and a box of matches.

I have found that cheaper oem pads, had a tendancy to be squeaky.
I fit Mintex, or Volvo pads and they were always "eek" free.

mightywolf
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 12:27
I usually fit Pagid on mine but they have a tendancy to squeal a lot after a while.

Tomcat
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 13:38
Cant delide if it's pads or discs, they don't make any noise at all for the first few miles, think it's actualy gotten worse, I could put up with the minor squealing it had before but now theres a really loud one coming from somewhere.

merc85
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 14:11
sOUNDS LIKE GLAZED pads, as suggested clean/rough em up, also make sure where they sit in the caliper is clean and smooth Not tight. also worth greasing caliper slider's also.