PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed - Washer Bottle Woes

yamma1
Thursday 4th August 2005, 19:31
My windsceen wash/wipe can only be activated by pressing the stalk which should activate the rear wash/wipe - in doing so the water only goes to the screen and not the back window. I've pulled the washer bottle and only appear to have one pump with a two pin connection located at the top of the bottle which would appear to be for the rear window only. At the bottom of the bottle there is a blank which I assume should be for the windscreen/headlights pump?? My problem is that I don't appear to have a "spare plug" to power the missing pump (are there two pin connection also?) and the only pipe I can find which may feed water to the rear window is a pipe which disappears into the bulkhead which is flexible plastic with about 3 inches of rubber at the end. Could this be the rear window water feed?? I don't want to connect and pump water through in case it is possibly connected to something electrical out of sight.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 5th August 2005, 10:32
Rear screen pump is underneath the reservoir. If it is not coming out you might have an airlock in the pipe. Jack the car up
Gently remove the pipe from the bottom pump (oo-err) - you can test at this point if it is working. Blow down the pipe to eject any water. Reconnect and run the water through using the pump. The washer jets for the headlights is a take off from the main screen pump.

That extra pipe leading nowhere is a breather for the main screen pump. There is a screen filter (small round clear plastic column, with one in bound and 2 outbound feeds). This can get clogged and slow the flow - as I found on my 850R. Remove it (noting the order of the connections) and take it to a sink and wash and bash out the black ££££ that accumulates.

I hope this helps

yamma1
Friday 5th August 2005, 12:20
Dave - the problem I have is that somebody has done a "bodgitandcreepaway" when doing the re-assembly. The bottom pump is missing and the top pump with 2 pin plug is connected to the windscreen jets but can only be activated using the push switch at the end of the wiper stalk which should be for the rear screen (rather than pulling back the stalk which activates the front wipers but no water!!) I need to purchase an additional pump and then try to get it wired to the stalk as I can't find a further 2 pin plug which could possibly power the missing pump (do both pumps use round two pin connectors??). The mystery pipe I hope is the feed to the rear screen as it disappers into the bulkhead and I would guess that a breather pipe would just vent somewhere under the bonnet?? Its a nark at the moment as when I need to wash the screen I also get the rear wiper screeching across a dry window and it's driving me loopy - also there may be MOT implications if I can't get a water supply to the rear window?

cheers

Chris

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 6th August 2005, 00:39
You can only fail the MOT if the front washer jets dont work.

As I remember yes both have round pin connectors.

I cant really tell without looking at it to be honest.