PDA

View Full Version : Suspension questions.

LiamT4
Saturday 9th July 2011, 22:24
Just like to know what shocks and spring people are using on their 850/S/V70 R/T5R's, what drop they are getting.

I was thinking that the cheapest option for me would be to get bilstein b6 shocks front and rear, then some kilen (40mm drop) springs.

It says though that the bilsteins are for people who want firmer suspension but not lowered. Are they ok to use with lowering springs?

And i'v never heard of kilen springs, any good or sh*te?

leo77
Saturday 9th July 2011, 22:43
I am using eibach springs with bilstein b4 shocks on my v70 and it's made the car handle so much better but you don't feel every bump in the road. And it's dropped it about 35 to 40mm. I can't get my trolley jack under the side of the car now.

LiamT4
Saturday 9th July 2011, 22:58
I am using eibach springs with bilstein b4 shocks on my v70 and it's made the car handle so much better but you don't feel every bump in the road. And it's dropped it about 35 to 40mm. I can't get my trolley jack under the side of the car now.

Eibachs are pretty expensive though, aren't they?
As the R's are about 12mm lower than the t5, when standard, i'm guessing they would drop it about 25mm, which is about what i'm looking for.

mightywolf
Monday 11th July 2011, 15:49
I've got the kilen springs on mine. Don't seem too bad, but then again you can't complain for what they cost. They improved the handling on mine a lot. Got em from PartsforVolvos.
And even though they have a 40mm drop I can't really notice much difference on my R.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 11th July 2011, 16:29
I replaced my front shocks with B6s and found them to be a nice smooth shock (for the price I paid for them anyway, about £60 each!) but mine isn't lowered.

deathrider311271
Monday 11th July 2011, 17:02
kilen are the standard V70 spring anyway and they seem to last well, so i would assume the lowered items are good quality too

LiamT4
Monday 11th July 2011, 20:29
I've got the kilen springs on mine. Don't seem too bad, but then again you can't complain for what they cost. They improved the handling on mine a lot. Got em from PartsforVolvos.
And even though they have a 40mm drop I can't really notice much difference on my R.

Really? Thats dissapointing on 40mm springs.

kilen are the standard V70 spring anyway and they seem to last well, so i would assume the lowered items are good quality too

Cheers, very usefull.

Anyone else running the b6s with lowering springs?

AndysR
Monday 11th July 2011, 22:02
The thing you need to be careful of when using the quoted lowering drop from a spring manufacturer is whether it's a drop from T5 height or R height, chances are it's T5 height which is why alot of them don't look any lower when fitted to R's. That said a set of roll bars and a decent set of shocks will see a vast improvement in handling over what you currently have or is it the actual lowered look your after?

t5 pete
Monday 11th July 2011, 22:05
850 t5 ive got koni fsd's with eibach springs which i think drop it by 35mm which is enough for my likeing as it doesnt look like the car is floored but looks very sporty if you get what i mean.

LiamT4
Monday 11th July 2011, 22:06
The thing you need to be careful of when using the quoted lowering drop from a spring manufacturer is whether it's a drop from T5 height or R height, chances are it's T5 height which is why alot of them don't look any lower when fitted to R's. That said a set of roll bars and a decent set of shocks will see a vast improvement in handling over what you currently have or is it the actual lowered look your after?

Both. Need it lowering because it looks like its on stilts so want to get the shocks and springs done first, then get the arb later on.

AndysR
Monday 11th July 2011, 22:07
850 t5 ive got koni fsd's with eibach springs which i think drop it by 35mm which is enough for my likeing as it doesnt look like the car is floored but looks very sporty if you get what i mean.

Good job, functional just like any suspension mod should be...

leo77
Monday 11th July 2011, 22:08
And another thing worth thinking of is the original springs are getting on 14yrs old so may of sagged a bit and weakened over the years.

AndysR
Monday 11th July 2011, 22:11
And another thing worth thinking of is the original springs are getting on 14yrs old so may of sagged a bit and weakened over the years.

Indeed, I found that with mine, the front suspension on mine was shot by the time I changed it and the ride height on the front was no different even though the springs are a 40 mm drop, the rear has dropped a bit and the car now sits level which its never done since I bought it until now.

Alan M
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 07:32
I'm running yellow Koni SSK adjustables with Koni black springs. The ride quality is good but I still use the Nivomats at the back for work purposes but they will be getting changed out over the next month for the adjustables. The lowered stance with Yellow Koni's is good.

mightywolf
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 17:05
I'll try put a couple of recent pics up of my R with its lowered springs on so you can see what you think. I'll dig out the pics aswell of the old springs next to the new ones.

mightywolf
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 17:16
ok found em.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/mightywolf2312/s70r%202/07062011172.jpg

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/mightywolf2312/s70r%202/07062011171.jpg

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/mightywolf2312/s70r%202/07062011169.jpg

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/mightywolf2312/s70r%202/07062011168.jpg

these are recent pics. only a couple of weeks ago. you can tell the difference with the front spring the most.

LiamT4
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 20:01
I'm running yellow Koni SSK adjustables with Koni black springs. The ride quality is good but I still use the Nivomats at the back for work purposes but they will be getting changed out over the next month for the adjustables. The lowered stance with Yellow Koni's is good.

Is that the shocks or the springs.

I'v seen the yellow koni dampers on partsforvolvo and they come with lowering springs, all for £550, but it doesn't say what springs they are and also says for all models (except self levelling suspension, awd and R)

I'm assuming it includes the R as it says "will drop the car between 30-35mm", which wouldn't be the case on the R. Becasue i thought that apart from the size of the springs the t5 and the R had the same suspension?

mightywolf
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 20:54
I'm positive the T5 and the R struts are the same fitment.

LiamT4
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 20:57
I'm positive the T5 and the R struts are the same fitment.

Thats what i thought.

mightywolf
Thursday 14th July 2011, 07:59
Yes they are the same for certain. I've got a V70 T5 in bits in my drive. I've had a look and they would go straight on the R. They look identical (apart from the T5 ones are old and knackered) :)