PDA

View Full Version : 850 t5r pcv

volvo
Saturday 9th July 2011, 10:29
Hi everyone....

New on here...so be gentle!

:saint:

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to resolve a potential PCV problem? When i pull out the oil dipstick, i get smoke coming out and also when i lift off the oil filler cap, theres no suck there.

Is there just a PCV valve i can buy and have replaced or is there more to it? What kind of things would/could be clogged up?

Help will be much appreciated

Cheers

The Flying Moose
Saturday 9th July 2011, 12:26
The PCV systems on these cars are a pain in the bottom to say the least. It really should be a service component at the 100k service.

Basically if your PCV system is dead then you will need to replace it. You can try to clean them out but better just to change them all together.

The whole kit includes a PCV box, and if I remember correctly two hoses. If you contact Rufe on here he will do you the whole kit at a competitive price.

Rufe can be contacted here: http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15559

As for the replacement of the system the best guide I have found is on Mathewsvolvosite and its this one here:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28487&f=1

Hope that helps ;)

volvo
Sunday 10th July 2011, 22:57
Thanks alot for your help....will have to get it confirmed and sorted if thats the case. I pulled out the dipstick and i did see smoke coming out...some say its normal....others say its a fault!

Cheers

The Flying Moose
Sunday 10th July 2011, 23:42
If it is smoking from the dipstick then 95% of the time it is a blocked PCV system.

volvo
Monday 11th July 2011, 20:53
Just ordered the PCV kit from Rufe! Will get that fitted alng with the cambelt. Are you supposed to change the water pump at the same time as the cambelt on a t5r, do you know?

Cheers

Tomcat
Monday 11th July 2011, 21:04
Depends how anal you want to be, if it's been noisey then replace it otherwise don't bother.

The Flying Moose
Monday 11th July 2011, 21:10
Just ordered the PCV kit from Rufe! Will get that fitted alng with the cambelt. Are you supposed to change the water pump at the same time as the cambelt on a t5r, do you know?

Cheers

I think given that the interval is every 80,000 miles or ten years I would change it just fir peace of mind.

Setzer
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 01:29
Im just after getting my timing belt and tensioners etc done and really to be honest your better off changing the water pump for all the price of it, I got one for I think £21 plus vat so at that price its really a no brainer considering the damage that can be caused if your old water pump does decide to pack in.

volvo
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 15:48
Right...ok, decided water pump is going to get done too. Guess it does make sense to get it chnaged.

What grade oil would you guys recommend on a t5r with 155K miles on it?

Niles
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 18:22
Right...ok, decided water pump is going to get done too. Guess it does make sense to get it chnaged.

What grade oil would you guys recommend on a t5r with 155K miles on it?

semi synthetic 10-40w is just the job mate.

volvo
Tuesday 12th July 2011, 18:26
Thanks Niles!

Have i just purchased a lamda sensor off you that got delieverd today? Seen your post on here and have just purchased one off ebay couple of days ago! Thought it might be you.

volvo
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 22:54
PCV kit done, ordered from Rufe
Cambelt & Water Pump done
Engine Service Done

Car is still puffing blue smoke at random intervals, mainly when coming of a hard drive....any ideas guys? One other thing, when the PCV kit was replaced, the PTC valve or the air intake valve wasnt taken out and cleaned, could it be that? Maybe need to take it out and cleab with card cleaner maybe??

Cheers

volvo
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 22:55
Oh....and when i pull the dipstick out while its running, it doesnt puff out smoke anywhere near what it was like before the PCV was replaced!!

orse
Saturday 23rd July 2011, 23:26
I believe the ptc is just an element that heats up and burns the excess that comes through the pcv system.Wouldn,t harm to clean it up. As for the random puffs would be to concerned untill the puffs are bit more regular if it was me.Where abouts in wiltshire are you?

volvo
Sunday 24th July 2011, 19:03
I am in Swindon.

I have just cleaned up the PTC and also the idle control valve........

The revs still 'hang' between gear changes and now when the car is stationary, its revving at 1200 until i flick the accelerator pedal and drops down to a smooth 900. This is prob because all the cleaning in the idle valve?? But its now different as i often have to 'flick' the accelerator to get it to idle normally, you reckon that may be the accelerator cabel itself....maybe thats whats causing the revs to hand between gears too?? Maybe im wishing is a cheap fix like a cable.....haha!

Niles
Monday 25th July 2011, 11:10
throttle body may need a good clean to ensure its seating when at idle & also that its closing efficiently.

orse
Monday 25th July 2011, 21:53
you could disconnect the throttle cable from under the plastic cover under the bonnet.Blip the throttle using the actual throttle linkage.If it returns to idle nice then happy days you got a sticky cable,you know what to change.If it still revs high i,d still be tempted to change the idle valve as cleaning them dont always work

The Flying Moose
Monday 25th July 2011, 21:57
PCV kit done, ordered from Rufe
Cambelt & Water Pump done
Engine Service Done

Car is still puffing blue smoke at random intervals, mainly when coming of a hard drive....any ideas guys? One other thing, when the PCV kit was replaced, the PTC valve or the air intake valve wasnt taken out and cleaned, could it be that? Maybe need to take it out and cleab with card cleaner maybe??

Cheers

When you say mainly coming off a hard drive do you mean when you back off the throttle and then accelerate again?

If so could be early symptoms of the turbo oil seals begining to go.

yorkiet52
Monday 25th July 2011, 22:02
If it's not the the above, it might be sucking in air somewhere, i had a fiesta 1.25 that used to hang in the rev range, and it was inlet manifold gasket and a split pipe on inlet manifold. Did it do this before the pcv system was replaced ?

volvo
Monday 25th July 2011, 22:20
Hi Yorkie Mate

Yes it did this before the PCV was done. I think its got an air leak somewhere but hopefully it should all get sorted this Wednesday!!

I have not had the car long so will i will need to be patient with it for now....

Cheers for the input, i agree with you...i reckon its an air leak too

volvo
Monday 25th July 2011, 22:23
Hi Moose

yes i think if you really want to see the blue smoke...you need to come off a hard drive e.g....driving down the motorway and stop at services (let turbo slow down etc etc) have a 5 min break, start car and theres your smoke, good 5-10 seconds of it and your clear to go!!

Sometimes, it just does it on tickover outside the house....no need for hard driving required.....

Will hopefully get it looked at on Wednesday and hope to find an air leak or 2...and hey presto!! Well, heres hoping it aint the turbo, valve stem seals!!

Cheers

The Flying Moose
Monday 25th July 2011, 22:31
Hi Moose

yes i think if you really want to see the blue smoke...you need to come off a hard drive e.g....driving down the motorway and stop at services (let turbo slow down etc etc) have a 5 min break, start car and theres your smoke, good 5-10 seconds of it and your clear to go!!

Sometimes, it just does it on tickover outside the house....no need for hard driving required.....

Will hopefully get it looked at on Wednesday and hope to find an air leak or 2...and hey presto!! Well, heres hoping it aint the turbo, valve stem seals!!

Cheers

Well im affraid given the additional info you have just provided it could well be either but if its from tickover too and whilst the engine is warm after starting it does sound very much more likely to be the turbo oil seals. Which in some cases is better as the turbo is a much easier job and far cheaper and easier than the stem seals.

The reason I sway towards the turbo is becuase the Valve stem seals would consistently smoke but smoke from warm and when pulling away. They should not smoke from cold and it they do then the smoke when warm would be constant and unbearable. This is because from cold the seals are more redundant than when warm due to the heat expansion in the engine.