PDA

View Full Version : more power............

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 20:56
right im new to turbo cars,picked up my 1st turbo car (c70 t5) on saturday and i love it,thing is i wouldnt mind more power not a **** load more as need the car reliable and im not made of money

my info on turbos is.........zilch so im gonna need some help

can i turn up the boost a little bit without having to do anything else or will it mess up the fueling?

if it needs remapping where do i go to get it done?-im in the midlands

im planning a uprated panel filter,cat back exhaust-maybe a de-cat if it doesnt effect the running,its got uprated boost pipes already and a dump valve

does this seem ok for a bit more power?

if i do all these will it need remapping or an uprated fuel pump?

Jamest5r
Monday 4th July 2011, 20:58
In the Midlands HLM in Bromsgrove £150 for a map for your car.

Edit...this could go down hill quickly, i suggest you do a search for re-maps and read the many pages about various tuners and make up your own mind :).

T5frankie
Monday 4th July 2011, 20:59
can get a manual boost controller for £20

LiamT4
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:03
An mbc should be fine if you just want a bit more as the ecu has a boost cut at about 15psi, so shouldn't cause any problems.

Although i'm not sure what engine management is on your c70 (4.4 or me7), me7's can throw a wobbly with some mods.

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:04
An mbc should be fine if you just want a bit more as the ecu has a boost cut at about 15psi, so shouldn't cause any problems.

Although i'm not sure what engine management is on your c70 (4.4 or me7), me7's can throw a wobbly with some mods.

how do i find out which one? will i need a uprated fuel pump or is the stock one ok?

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:05
In the Midlands HLM in Bromsgrove £150 for a map for your car.

Edit...this could go down hill quickly, i suggest you do a search for re-maps and read the many pages about various tuners and make up your own mind :).

why could this go down hill quickly? are they no good?

p fandango
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:06
ME7 has got no throttle cable or dizzy cap, also has a blue badge on the grill assuming its the original grill

LiamT4
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:08

Some like them, some don't. People have different opnions on which maps is best etc.

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:12
Some like them, some don't. People have different opnions on which maps is best etc.

well mine has definatly got a throttle cable,its on the right end side of the block just above that vac tree thingy

smithy
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:21
hlm are fine mate give them a call they should be able to help.

Jamest5r
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:22

Quite the opposite mate in my opinion ive had several maps done there :) it's just some people get on there high horse's and cause argument's about various tuners for various reason's some justified some not but i don't get involved in that crap that's why i said do you research and talk to some people about what they have had done, all depends how far you want to take your tuning, but i warn you now once you smoke the crack pipe of tuning a t5 it never stop's :)

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:29
Quite the opposite mate in my opinion ive had several maps done there :) it's just some people get on there high horse's and cause argument's about various tuners for various reason's some justified some not but i don't get involved in that crap that's why i said do you research and talk to some people about what they have had done, all depends how far you want to take your tuning, but i warn you now once you smoke the crack pipe of tuning a t5 it never stop's :)

yeah my mate told me not to buy a turbo...........his exact words were

"a turbo will kill you and your wallet........it will never be fast enough..........you will want more and more and more........beware shrek-BEWARE"

think he was right :) i will give them a call but is it best to do it when ive got the exhaust and filter done so they can map it for those mods? uprated fuel pump???

smithy
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:29

tuning any volvo it never stops now wheres that pipe

t5 stealth
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:30
it's just some people get on there high horse's and cause argument's about various tuners for various reason's some justified some not but i don't get involved in that crap

nicely put :)

T5frankie
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:31

"a turbo will kill you and your wallet........it will never be fast enough..........you will want more and more and more........beware shrek-BEWARE"

think he was right :) i will give them a call but is it best to do it when ive got the exhaust and filter done so they can map it for those mods? uprated fuel pump???

the 150 quid map is an off the shelf map not a custom remap

smithy
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:32

fuel pump on volvos are good mate for upto 350 bhp no probs ,and the map only needs adjusting if you put a 3in downpipe and racecat mate

Jamest5r
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:34

Your not going for custom mapping it will just be a generic map that has been done for your car with similar up grades, it is worth getting it put on the rolling road while you are there to see how it runs before and after.

You don't need an up-rated fuel pump the volvo one will do you fine for the moment save your money.

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:37
Your not going for custom mapping it will just be a generic map that has been done for your car with similar up grades, it is worth getting it put on the rolling road while you are there to see how it runs before and after.

You don't need an up-rated fuel pump the volvo one will do you fine for the moment save your money.

ok cool just wanna make sure it runs safe dont wanna blow it up

what sort of extra power would i get from a map from them?

is it worth de-catting or not?

LiamT4
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:38
Heres a thought, would my ecu work in his c70? Both 4.4.
Just your not far from me, so you could try it see if you like it.

T5frankie
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:39
ok cool just wanna make sure it runs safe dont wanna blow it up

what sort of extra power would i get from a map from them?

is it worth de-catting or not?

decatting worked wonders on mine, do it if you have a long mot cos it will need going back on at mot time a remap should give you an extra 40-50bhp at 4000rpm and more importantly alot more torque

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:42
decatting worked wonders on mine, do it if you have a long mot cos it will need going back on at mot time a remap should give you an extra 40-50bhp at 4000rpm and more importantly alot more torque

well its mot is up next june so plenty left and there is a custom exhaust place down the road from me so might go get a decat pipe fitted for a start,i take it it will make the 5 pot a tad louder

T5frankie
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:44
well its mot is up next june so plenty left and there is a custom exhaust place down the road from me so might go get a decat pipe fitted for a start,i take it it will make the 5 pot a tad louder

yes mate mine is very loud now since i decatted it sounds awesome though

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:48
yes mate mine is very loud now since i decatted it sounds awesome though

cool i will get it done,which cat is it or is there only one?

i wanna hear the turbo a bit more too any ideas as you cant really hear it spooling up all i can hear is the 5 pot burble

is a panel filter more advisable than a induction kit?

LiamT4
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:49

i wanna hear the turbo a bit more too any ideas as you cant really hear it spooling up all i can hear is the 5 pot burble

If you want noise then a cone filter would be best.
Only one cat to get rid of.

claymore
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:49
Waw, your keeping us all very busy on here tonight.......lol

claymore
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:50
If you want noise then a cone filter would be best.

and a poly engine top mount

T5frankie
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:50

get it remapped get a big exhaust and decat it, fit an mbc turn it up to? mine was at 22psi lol and fit a big cone filter for the turbo noise, with all this at once your car will sound awesome (same as mine) lots of popping and banging

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:56
Waw, your keeping us all very busy on here tonight.......lol

someones got to :)

nah i really appreciate it folks im new to all this so any info is greatly recieved

smithy
Monday 4th July 2011, 22:08
someones got to :)

nah i really appreciate it folks im new to all this so any info is greatly recieved

we are here to help mate and if you want to meetup and go down the strip to see how fast your car goes or just to meet folks come to shakespeare raceway on the 24th july

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 22:09
we are here to help mate and if you want to meetup and go down the strip to see how fast your car goes or just to meet folks come to shakespeare raceway on the 24th july

i just might do that matey :)

t5_monkey
Monday 4th July 2011, 22:59
Asking which map is best is like... opening a pandoras box! It's kinda like religion they're all similar but people love to argue over the small differences.

Everyone's remained remarkably civilized thus far :)

http://healthca.health.officelive.com/images/pandoras-box.jpg

Remember the engine gives you power but the suspension gives you PLEASURE :D

Ed.
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 11:28
An off the shelf stage 1 remap will be sufficient for most people. Rica/HLM, MTE seem the most popular. They have slightly different characteristics, rica is aggressive, mte is more progressive. Usual gain with a stage 1 map is around 30bhp.

Custom chrome racing in nuneaton are good for exhausts. A polybush engine top mount is a must for more 5 pot noise.

Ed

big shrek
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 16:14
An off the shelf stage 1 remap will be sufficient for most people. Rica/HLM, MTE seem the most popular. They have slightly different characteristics, rica is aggressive, mte is more progressive. Usual gain with a stage 1 map is around 30bhp.

Custom chrome racing in nuneaton are good for exhausts. A polybush engine top mount is a must for more 5 pot noise.

Ed

yeah im taking it custom chrome for a decat they are only 5 miles from me,not being funny but how would a polybush engine mount make the car sound any better?

Ed.
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 16:23
It lets the engine noise and vibration into the cabin. At around £25 for the polybush, its the cheapest way to get more noise. It makes a big difference.

I'm quite local to you and have had work done at ccr too.

Ed

big shrek
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 16:26
It lets the engine noise and vibration into the cabin. At around £25 for the polybush, its the cheapest way to get more noise. It makes a big difference.

I'm quite local to you and have had work done at ccr too.

Ed

where abouts are you then matey?

p fandango
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 16:29
i work in Nuneaton alot of the time, about 5minutes away from CCR

Jamest5r
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 16:37
i work in Nuneaton alot of the time, about 5minutes away from CCR

And you get it for about 30 quid cheaper :)

p fandango
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 16:38
And you get it for about 30 quid cheaper :)
i've never had any exhaust work done by them tbh, Powerflow do all of mine

big shrek
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 19:28
can somebody point me i the right direction for a decent mbc?

what is the standard psi of boost on my t5 and what is the maximum safe limit to raise it to?

car will have a decat,dump valve and performance panel filter

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 19:34
can somebody point me i the right direction for a decent mbc?

what is the standard psi of boost on my t5 and what is the maximum safe limit to raise it to?

car will have a decat,dump valve and performance panel filter

standard boost is around 10 psi with an mbc you can turn it up to 14 psi then you will need a remap to remove the boost cut then you can turn the mbc up to whatever you feel safe to mine was at 22psi, this is the mbc i have.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORGE-UNOS-UNIVERSAL-BOOST-ADJUSTER-BALL-SPRING-TYPE-/130479298563?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e612c1803#ht_547wt_911

big shrek
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 19:39
standard boost is around 10 psi with an mbc you can turn it up to 14 psi then you will need a remap to remove the boost cut then you can turn the mbc up to whatever you feel safe to mine was at 22psi, this is the mbc i have.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORGE-UNOS-UNIVERSAL-BOOST-ADJUSTER-BALL-SPRING-TYPE-/130479298563?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e612c1803#ht_547wt_911

cheers mate probably run mine at 12-13 psi to be extra safe

wasnt looking at spending that much more like 20-30 quid really

KARL
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 19:53

There is a Mumby MBC (I Think its Mumby) on ebay for 20 quid money !

Its the brass one !

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 19:54

i think most people run at 16 psi after they get the remap with the mbc

big shrek
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 19:57
cheers guys,as you can tell im a novice to this so dont wanna stress my engine too much,i dont drive it hard all the time and the car only gets used 4-5 times a week

what about running it on v-power fuel?

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 20:00
cheers guys,as you can tell im a novice to this so dont wanna stress my engine too much,i dont drive it hard all the time and the car only gets used 4-5 times a week

will only make a difference on a remapped car, which you will need to use super unleaded

big shrek
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 20:01
got a blanking plate for the standard dump valve coming from member dps1973 by the way so my dump valve issues should soon be sorted,just gotta get some1 to fit it as my hands are like shovels and they aint getting no way near it

claymore
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 20:06

My engine is on 220,000 miles and is remaped, turbo and supercharged and nitroused, so I don't think you've got much to worry about.

big shrek
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 20:21
My engine is on 220,000 miles and is remaped, turbo and supercharged and nitroused, so I don't think you've got much to worry about.

i take it they are pretty bomb proof then? any common problems to look out for? oil pump failures,head gaskets etc

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 20:25
A t5 engine is one of the very very best engines, my car is on 207000 and still goes like a rocket, volvos have the best engines and the best bodywork, how many other cars can you be worry free on a car with 175000 miles on?

claymore
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 20:28
i take it they are pretty bomb proof then? any common problems to look out for? oil pump failures,head gaskets etc

Only real problem is bending conrods, but not at the sort of tune your talking about.

big shrek
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 20:33
A t5 engine is one of the very very best engines, my car is on 207000 and still goes like a rocket, volvos have the best engines and the best bodywork, how many other cars can you be worry free on a car with 175000 miles on?

well i can name 2...

my old cav gsi2000 was on 189k when i got it and when i sold it.........217k on original engine..........then my mates prelude vtec showing 196k on it and still going strong :)

just wanna look after it thats all matey,gave it some new oil today and filter

big shrek
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 20:41
how hard to fit a boost controller? do i need a gauge as well?

claymore
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 20:52
Yes, you will need a gauge, as for fitting, it's just a case of swapping some pipes around.

big shrek
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 20:54
Yes, you will need a gauge, as for fitting, it's just a case of swapping some pipes around.

seen this but he doesnt state if its a gated one or not

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MANUAL-TURBO-BOOST-CONTROLLER-KIT-GAUGE-UNIVERSAL-/350426281111?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item519708b497

big shrek
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 20:56
also lads is the gearbox pretty strong?

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 20:57
yeah gearboxes are strong for well over 300bhp

smithy
Thursday 7th July 2011, 14:07
redblocks will do half a mile + no probs lol

the young mechanic
Thursday 7th July 2011, 17:03

that is only because you like to go abit overboard with your mods

cherry1809
Thursday 7th July 2011, 18:40
yeah gearboxes are strong for well over 300bhp

Isn't RT'S Car on a stock box?
I hear he's wound the boost up too... :D

Jamest5r
Thursday 7th July 2011, 19:05
Isn't RT'S Car on a stock box?
I hear he's wound the boost up too... :D

Yep, that's why he's broken 3rd gear 3 times :)

cherry1809
Thursday 7th July 2011, 19:18
Yeah 3rd's my favorite gear too :D

big shrek
Friday 8th July 2011, 15:18
when i fit my mbc im gonna run it at 13/14 psi will i need to do anything else? been told summat needs doing with the actuator but not sure

also when i have a decat done will it throw up any eml lights or running problems?

T5frankie
Friday 8th July 2011, 16:04
when i fit my mbc im gonna run it at 13/14 psi will i need to do anything else? been told summat needs doing with the actuator but not sure

also when i have a decat done will it throw up any eml lights or running problems?

the actuator should be fine unless it's a little loose, removing the cat will bring on the lambda light, same as mine just have to live with it mate, it'll run fine

big shrek
Friday 8th July 2011, 17:11
the actuator should be fine unless it's a little loose, removing the cat will bring on the lambda light, same as mine just have to live with it mate, it'll run fine

nice one mate,guess im just a bit scared of ££££ing the car up ive heard that many stories of people messing with turbo cars and its altered the fuelling and done major engine damage

all i wanna do is

decat
panel/cone filter
mbc running 12/13psi
bailey dump valve

hopefully it should be safe with these mods

T5frankie
Friday 8th July 2011, 18:27
nice one mate,guess im just a bit scared of ££££ing the car up ive heard that many stories of people messing with turbo cars and its altered the fuelling and done major engine damage

all i wanna do is

decat
panel/cone filter
mbc running 12/13psi
bailey dump valve

hopefully it should be safe with these mods

remove the rear suitcase silencer on the exhaust for more noise, those mods won't stress the engine whatsoever
here is a few off my mods

HLM310 re-map
19t hybrid
Green injectors
Orange Silicone hoses
Rip kit
Group A cosworth induction kit,
Powerflow exhaust system with De-cat pipe
Forge dump valve
Forge unos boost controller
Drilled and grooved brake discs all round
Uprated powerflex bushes (top mount)
HID upgrade
Strut brace

big shrek
Friday 8th July 2011, 21:15
what the hell is a rip kit?

T5frankie
Friday 8th July 2011, 21:18

Reverse Intercooler Pipework, it re routes the hoses in and around the turbo/intercooler to make them more efficient and for the turbo to spool up faster

p fandango
Friday 8th July 2011, 21:19
reverse intercooler pipework, early 1994 had the intercooler plumbed in different with alot straighter & shorter pipework. Because of issues of the throttle body freezing (in Sweden) the system was changed

big shrek
Friday 8th July 2011, 21:26
Reverse Intercooler Pipework, it re routes the hoses in and around the turbo/intercooler to make them more efficient and for the turbo to spool up faster

oh right ok,tell me more about this 19t hybrid.....expensive mod or not?

T5frankie
Friday 8th July 2011, 21:41
oh right ok,tell me more about this 19t hybrid.....expensive mod or not?

no it's just a 19t turbo housing bolted onto a 16t exhaust housing so you can use your original downpipe instead of the angled downpipe a normal 19t would need.

p fandango
Friday 8th July 2011, 21:44
no it's just a 19t turbo housing bolted onto a 16t exhaust housing so you can use your original downpipe instead of the angled downpipe a normal 19t would need.
don't you wish you had the full 3inches tho Frankie, 2.5 is just not enough lol

big shrek
Friday 8th July 2011, 21:45

what sort of power gains have you had from your remap? im guessing the 310 stands for 310 bhp

T5frankie
Friday 8th July 2011, 21:49
what sort of power gains have you had from your remap? im guessing the 310 stands for 310 bhp

my car is running the map for the old 18t turbo i have yet to get it custom mapped for my new turbo, but it should be over 300bhp now, a word of advice don't believe the advertised figures for remaps they are just what they call them to try to out do each other

T5frankie
Friday 8th July 2011, 21:51
don't you wish you had the full 3inches tho Frankie, 2.5 is just not enough lol

only when it's cold lol, i don't think there with the mitsibishi turbos there is much difference with peak power figures between the two

big shrek
Friday 8th July 2011, 21:52
my car is running the map for the old 18t turbo i have yet to get it custom mapped for my new turbo, but it should be over 300bhp now, a word of advice don't believe the advertised figures for remaps they are just what they call them to try to out do each other

false advertising then :)

with the mods i have planned and maybe 1 of them remaps on my standard turbo will i be around 280 bhp i should imagine

T5frankie
Friday 8th July 2011, 21:54
false advertising then :)

with the mods i have planned and maybe 1 of them remaps on my standard turbo will i be around 280 bhp i should imagine

more like 250-260bhp with only 13 psi mate on a 16t, you will need a bigger turbo or if you want that power you will have to run about 18-22psi with that turbo

big shrek
Friday 8th July 2011, 22:00
more like 250-260bhp with only 13 psi mate on a 16t, you will need a bigger turbo or if you want that power you will have to run about 18-22psi with that turbo

i take it thats near the limit for my turbo then

T5frankie
Friday 8th July 2011, 22:04
i take it thats near the limit for my turbo then

yes mate i think one or 2 have had a little more with other mods, but at 280bhp your car will feel so different and go like a rocket, you should have a go in a modded t5 and feel the difference, get the remap first then put an mbc on turn it up to 16psi which is safe then enjoy

t5_monkey
Friday 8th July 2011, 22:18
280bhp with good midrange and response will be a fair bit quicker on the road then these Evo's etc... with the same but loads of lag and nothing below 4000rpm :)

big shrek
Friday 8th July 2011, 22:43
280bhp with good midrange and response will be a fair bit quicker on the road then these Evo's etc... with the same but loads of lag and nothing below 4000rpm :)

thats what i love about the t5 it pulls hard from 2500rpm

p fandango
Friday 8th July 2011, 22:48
& with there higher transmission loses

big shrek
Saturday 9th July 2011, 06:35
& with there higher transmission loses

yeah but they dont half go round corners quick,i was gonna get a scooby this year but ive heard horror stories about them so strayed away from then thinking that my t5 would be a good buy but its turning out to be a horror story in its own.........ggggrrrrrrrrrr

p fandango
Saturday 9th July 2011, 06:55
yeah but they dont half go round corners quick,i was gonna get a scooby this year but ive heard horror stories about them so strayed away from then thinking that my t5 would be a good buy but its turning out to be a horror story in its own.........ggggrrrrrrrrrr
my neighbour traded in his Scooby for a 911, within an hour they'd phoned him up saying the transfer box had scattered. We think someone on testdrive had tried a full throttle start (which i'd love to try on a strong enough car). My bro used to have a Legnum VR4 which i borrowed for a week, it did everything too well/easily & was just boring

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3333/archive2.jpg

big shrek
Saturday 9th July 2011, 07:15
my neighbour traded in his Scooby for a 911, within an hour they'd phoned him up saying the transfer box had scattered. We think someone on testdrive had tried a full throttle start (which i'd love to try on a strong enough car). My bro used to have a Legnum VR4 which i borrowed for a week, it did everything too well/easily & was just boring

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3333/archive2.jpg

full throttle starts and 4wd = wallet lightening experience

to be honest im loving the t5 mate its comfy which is hard for me to find in a car as im just over 6ft 8,i love the sound and power just wish it didnt have a leaky sunroof and gash whirring sound when revved

p fandango
Saturday 9th July 2011, 12:35
to be honest im loving the t5 mate its comfy which is hard for me to find in a car as im just over 6ft 8,i love the sound and power just wish it didnt have a leaky sunroof and gash whirring sound when revved
totally agree, i only had the VR4 for a week but was still glad to give it back & get into the T-5. 4WD tames everything too much for me, shame because i always liked the look of Skylines lol

big shrek
Saturday 9th July 2011, 13:01
totally agree, i only had the VR4 for a week but was still glad to give it back & get into the T-5. 4WD tames everything too much for me, shame because i always liked the look of Skylines lol

gts-t are rwd mate and very tuneable

p fandango
Saturday 9th July 2011, 13:30
gts-t are rwd mate and very tuneable
yeh but i always go for the top model, always fancied a Supra or RX7 instead

big shrek
Thursday 14th July 2011, 17:00
and a poly engine top mount

right then where do i get one of these from?

mightywolf
Thursday 14th July 2011, 17:50
right then where do i get one of these from?

Partsfor volvos. Google it it'll come up. Excellent for most things and quick delivery.

I've got a dump valve, induction kit, powerflow cat back and mbc. Not bothering with a re-map cos the mbc does enough. Very very aggresive even turned down. I usually run mine about 9psi for day to day driving and only turn it up if I want some tyre shredding fun :)
Loads of power, loads of noise!

p fandango
Thursday 14th July 2011, 18:19
I've got a dump valve, induction kit, powerflow cat back and mbc. Not bothering with a re-map cos the mbc does enough. Very very aggresive even turned down. I usually run mine about 9psi for day to day driving and only turn it up if I want some tyre shredding fun :)
Loads of power, loads of noise!
ditch the cat :wink:

mightywolf
Thursday 14th July 2011, 19:24
ditch the cat :wink:

i would but I'm too worried about it failing on the emissions!

wutang247
Saturday 16th July 2011, 21:18
i had a longlife 3inch full stainless with a 100cell racecat, flew through mot, sounds the business , just need remap as im hitting boostcut and my gauge peaks at 18psi as it hits what feels like a brickwall still very quick

t5_monkey
Saturday 16th July 2011, 21:29
if you inform your insurer... am I right in saying your car is STILL not legal with a decat even if you pass the MOT ?

p fandango
Saturday 16th July 2011, 22:49
am I right in saying your car is STILL not legal with a decat even if you pass the MOT ?
i think its a vehicle spec & construction issue (VOSA) problem instead of a MOT one

johnny46
Monday 25th July 2011, 23:17
Hi all

Great thread big shrek and v helpfull replys!! Just what i wanted to know really I have not long bought a Dark blue V70 R and i wana get it up nearer 300bhp not that its slow jus that crack pipe ya on about needs a toot from me :-)

i dont want it to loud or any dumpvalve noises but more power and slighty louder would be sweet, think i'l decat it, get a remap an mbc and gauge, poly bush and turn it up to 18 to 19 psi does that sound about right?? i'l get it rolling roaded before and after the work

Also there are £120 cips on ebay from germany whats the story with these are they a no go or what people???

Mucho appreciated

Johnny

LiamT4
Monday 25th July 2011, 23:24
I'd stay away from any of the no name chips and maps that come up cheap on ebay.
Stick with comapanies like rica, mte, hlm.

johnny46
Monday 25th July 2011, 23:29
cool will do!! im from nantwich cheshire which is the closest and better tuning company to go for and do i just ring them and ask for a re map ????

big shrek
Wednesday 27th July 2011, 20:40
Hi all

Great thread big shrek and v helpfull replys!! Just what i wanted to know really I have not long bought a Dark blue V70 R and i wana get it up nearer 300bhp not that its slow jus that crack pipe ya on about needs a toot from me :-)

i dont want it to loud or any dumpvalve noises but more power and slighty louder would be sweet, think i'l decat it, get a remap an mbc and gauge, poly bush and turn it up to 18 to 19 psi does that sound about right?? i'l get it rolling roaded before and after the work

Also there are £120 cips on ebay from germany whats the story with these are they a no go or what people???

Mucho appreciated

Johnny

cheers mate but its all the other guys you need to thank.

as for 18-19psi from what ive gathered you will need a remap as the standard map wont go past 15 psi

im gonna turn mine up to 14 psi to see how i get on then consider a remap later this year

big shrek
Wednesday 27th July 2011, 20:42
oh yeah as for ebay specials..........dont bother mate it could kill your engine

go to a reputable tuner

johnny46
Wednesday 27th July 2011, 22:50
yeah i'l re map it and stay away from engine killers!!

cheers