PDA

View Full Version : 98 c70 t5 manual.....whinning noise

big shrek
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 16:49
when my engine is revved it has a whinning sort of sound that gets louder as the revs build up,it doesnt matter if the car is stationary or moving it still does it........any ideas on what it is?

claymore
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 17:10
that will be your supercharger mate ;)

big shrek
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 17:46
that will be your supercharger mate ;)

ha ££££in ha :)

Jamest5r
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:17
Can you tell what area it's coming from? might give us a clue, one of the pulley's??

big shrek
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:22
Can you tell what area it's coming from? might give us a clue, one of the pulley's??

seems to be coming from drivers side mate,could it be air-con pump? alternator bearings?

Jamest5r
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:25
seems to be coming from drivers side mate,could it be air-con pump? alternator bearings?

Could be a number of thing's to be honest there a lot of pulley's/bearing in that area, if you cant track it down pop over and ill have a look your only about 40 mins away, will sort out your dv as well :)

big shrek
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:35
Could be a number of thing's to be honest there a lot of pulley's/bearing in that area, if you cant track it down pop over and ill have a look your only about 40 mins away, will sort out your dv as well :)

aahhh most kind i might try and get over on saturday need to get my car serviced first really unless you wanna do that too :)

Jamest5r
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 19:04
aahhh most kind i might try and get over on saturday need to get my car serviced first really unless you wanna do that too :)

No thanks got an engine to refit :)

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 19:07
No thanks got an engine to refit :)

and mine so stop asking for more work lol

Jamest5r
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 19:14
and mine so stop asking for more work lol

Pmsl, I said No, im praying i can get mine back in this weekend if it wasnt for bad luck id have no luck at all :) but thanks to the Yoda (Smithy) things are looking up :)

big shrek
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 19:11
right i dont think its coming from the timing kit or water pump as the sound can be heard outside the timing belt cover,my question is what else around that area could be making this whirring sound?

if somebody could tell me what exactly is around that area

im guessing

alt belt
power steering belt
one of them i guess runs the aircon pump
any other pullies/pumps etc that could cause it?
really wanna get to the bottom of it as it sounds gash

claymore
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 19:24
alternator, aircon, power steering all run off the auxilary belt, there's also the belt tensioner pully.

Porcine_Aviator
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 19:39
Get a long screwdriver put the blade on the area roughly where the noise seems to be coming from. Put your ear to the other end and listen, move it around until you find the point where most of the noise is coming from. That will narrow it down to a point closer to to the root of the problem.

Just watch out for things spinning around :)

big shrek
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 20:08
alternator, aircon, power steering all run off the auxilary belt, there's also the belt tensioner pully.

any body got some part numbers for the belt and pully?

also wheres best to get items like these from? motor factors or do i have to go thru volvo?

Ed.
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 12:26
Simon at FRF Volvo Swansea is a good source of discounted genuine parts. 01792 790 066

Ed

sonic-1
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 14:36
would bet on it being power stering pump !!!!!!

big shrek
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 16:23
would bet on it being power stering pump !!!!!!

when the engines on tick over and you turn the wheel the noise doesnt get any louder its only when you rev it

Blackdog
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 18:56
We had a similar noise on the 99 V70 diesel.

Turned out to be the aux belt tensioner

The bad news for us was the new tensioner took out the power steering pump about 1500 miles later

KARL
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 19:04
I had the same noise,turned out to be the tensioner that had seized !

All the ball bearings had fallen out.This is when it went quiet, then threw the belt !!!

big shrek
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 19:15
I had the same noise,turned out to be the tensioner that had seized !

All the ball bearings had fallen out.This is when it went quiet, then threw the belt !!!

so cheapest option first then.....

replace belt and pulley i think

merc85
Thursday 14th July 2011, 20:24
pas pump

big shrek
Thursday 14th July 2011, 20:38
pas pump

i must admit the steering feels a little wolly sometimes when you turn the wheel it feels as if the wheels aint turning as much as you are turning the steering wheel