PDA

View Full Version : 98 c70 t5 manual dump valve question

big shrek
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 16:44
i want a nice loud dump valve for my t5 gt c70,which one should i go for? its got a bailey one fitted at the min but for some reason its not working,there is a thin rubber tube coming out the top of the dump valve about 4-5 inches long with a screw stuffed in the end.....dont know why or if its meant to be like that

deathrider311271
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 17:10
the screw is why its not working, its not connected to anything

big shrek
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 17:43
the screw is why its not working, its not connected to anything
i took the screw out and it still didnt work it looks like that thin rubber pipe has been cut like i say its only 4-5 inches long coming out the top of the dump valve,why would someone stuff a screw into the end of that pipe? sorry for dumbass questions but i dont know about dump valves

dps1973
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 17:50
It need's to be connected to the vac tree

big shrek
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 17:52
It need's to be connected to the vac tree

the what? it doesnt look like its long enough to connect to owt mate,where is this vac tree thing?

dps1973
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 17:56
It needs to be extended then, it is near the throttle body. There will be 3/4 pipes connected to it and 2 blanked off

big shrek
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 17:59
It needs to be extended then, it is near the throttle body. There will be 3/4 pipes connected to it and 2 blanked off

sounds like its been bodged up then dont it,dont know what im gonna do know then......ggrrrrrrr just want that bbbrrrraaaaapppppp.....ttttsssssshhhhh sound

big shrek
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:04
this is the type of dump valve fitted at the min

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-850-T5-TURBO-BAILEY-VENTURI-DUMP-VALVE-/300204518424?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45e5956c18

deathrider311271
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:12
u also need to make sure the recirculation dump valve has been replaced with a blanking plate

big shrek
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:15
u also need to make sure the recirculation dump valve has been replaced with a blanking plate

ok how do i do that? looks like im gonna have to buy a brand new dump valve and fitting kit and start again

Jamest5r
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:21
The vac tree is under the throttle cable cover that is a curved bit of plastic about 6" long, take that off and you will see a small plastic pipe sitting verticaly with little tubes sticking out the side's, if it will reach plug the pipe from the dv to one of these.

big shrek
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:24
The vac tree is under the throttle cable cover that is a curved bit of plastic about 6" long, take that off and you will see a small plastic pipe sitting verticaly with little tubes sticking out the side's, if it will reach plug the pipe from the dv to one of these.

where in the bay is this mate? just had a scout round ebay and i can buy the rubber pipe in meter lengths just need to know if its 4,5 or 6 mm

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:27
its under the plastic cover toward the front of the engine on the right side it has one torx screw to undo its where the throttle cable is

Jamest5r
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:30
If you look at your engine it's at the right hand side at the end where the pipe enters from your intercooler.

Need some clever person to post a pic :) Where's bloody Fandango when you need him lol

big shrek
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:31
its under the plastic cover toward the front of the engine on the right side it has one torx screw to undo its where the throttle cable is

ok will have a butchers 2moro see whats what,how do i tell if the Recirculation valve has been blocked off?

will i experience problems when dump valve is fitted and working properly?

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:32
If you look at your engine it's at the right hand side at the end where the pipe enters from your intercooler.

Need some clever person to post a pic :) Where's bloody Fandango when you need him lol

is your car done yet james?

Jamest5r
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:43
is your car done yet james?

It was :) RMS failed (brand new volvo part) so block came out again stripped down and lots of oil was found in the bores so rings no good, 0.4 oversized pistons arriving from volvo on tuesday and will be rebuilt again and put back in next weekend :)

Sorry for the hijack Shrek

T5frankie
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 18:48
It was :) RMS failed (brand new volvo part) so block came out again stripped down and lots of oil was found in the bores so rings no good, 0.4 oversized pistons arriving from volvo on tuesday and will be rebuilt again and put back in next weekend :)

Sorry for the hijack Shrek

hope so mate want to get mine done missing the noise lol

claymore
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 19:22
Does this help?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/P1956_05-06-09.jpg

claymore
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 19:28
This might be better
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/Image1-4.jpg

big shrek
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 19:53
Does this help?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/P1956_05-06-09.jpg

cheers but why have you drawn a red line to show where the pipe connects to but your blue pipe doesnt go there?

that vac tree has 5 nipples off it 3 on the front and 2 on the back (one of which has a thin pipe coming off it) which one do i connect my dump valve pipe to and do i have to remove the pipe thats connected to the vac tree at the min?

also how do i tell if the recirclulating valve has been blanked off?

claymore
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 20:00
cheers but why have you drawn a red line to show where the pipe connects to but your blue pipe doesnt go there?

that vac tree has 5 nipples off it 3 on the front and 2 on the back (one of which has a thin pipe coming off it) which one do i connect my dump valve pipe to and do i have to remove the pipe thats connected to the vac tree at the min?

also how do i tell if the recirclulating valve has been blanked off?
If you look closly at that picture the blue pipe gose to the manifold (which is also fine) but I didn't want to confuse you.
as for the recirc valve, I'll se if I can find some pics for you now.

claymore
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 20:06
OK, if your turbo has this, then the dump valve wont work, this bit should be replaced with a flat plate.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/Image1-5.jpg

big shrek
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 21:03
ok will have a look 2moro,the turbo is at the back of the block is it not?

if it fit a pipe to that vac tree does it matter which nipple i use and does the one thats currently used need to be disconnected?

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 17:47
aybody?

if i fit the rubber pipe from the top of the dump valve to the vac tree do i need to disconnect the rubber pipe thats currently on it? does it matter which one of the 5 nipples i use?

claymore
Monday 4th July 2011, 17:52
are you talking about the pipe on the dump valve? if so just pull it off and replace it with a longer pipe.

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 20:36
are you talking about the pipe on the dump valve? if so just pull it off and replace it with a longer pipe.

yes but i dont know what size pipe to order 4,5,6 mm

what i want to know is when i have fitted the new longer pipe to the dump valve and i go to fit it to the vac tree do i need to remove the rubber pipe thats already connected to the vac tree and does it matter which of the 5 connections on the vac tree do i connect my dump valve up 2?

Jamest5r
Monday 4th July 2011, 20:44
Just plug it into anyone of the outlet's just make sure the rest are covered with the little rubber caps and leave what ever is pluged in there :)

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 20:47
Just plug it into anyone of the outlet's just make sure the rest are covered with the little rubber caps and leave what ever is pluged in there :)

right will do,just need to see if my turbo has the blanking plate fitted from the original valve

Jamest5r
Monday 4th July 2011, 20:56
right will do,just need to see if my turbo has the blanking plate fitted from the original valve

Pretty easy to tell if there is a pipe on the end its got the recirc if not just blank :)

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 20:57
Pretty easy to tell if there is a pipe on the end its got the recirc if not just blank :)

yeah i know what im looking for just cant see from above the engine

Jamest5r
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:14
yeah i know what im looking for just cant see from above the engine

You should be able to mate it's fairly clear, if you are standing by your nsf wheel looking at the turbo it's the closest part of the turbo to you.

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:17
You should be able to mate it's fairly clear, if you are standing by your nsf wheel looking at the turbo it's the closest part of the turbo to you.

well i cant see for looking,its up on a ramp wednesday having the oil changed so will look underneath then

LiamT4
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:18

Would the heat shield be in the way though? As this covers a lot of the turbo when its on.

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:21
Would the heat shield be in the way though? As this covers a lot of the turbo when its on.

yes.......yes it is....gggrrrrrr

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:24
i hope it is blanked off cos i aint got a clue where to get a blanking plate from

LiamT4
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:24

If you take it off, most don't bother putting it back on, as it makes things easier when checking things like the turbo actuator.

T5frankie
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:29

you can see the dump valve with the heat shield on

LiamT4
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:33
you can see the dump valve with the heat shield on

he's talking about the turbo, on that post.

claymore
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:41
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/P1113_14-02-10.jpg

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:44
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/P1113_14-02-10.jpg

is that taken from the passenger side? is that the actuator next to it?

T5frankie
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:45
is that taken from the passenger side? is that the actuator next to it?

yes

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:54
right just looked and no mine is not blanked off.........£££££££

do i have to use a blanking plate specific to a c70 t5 or can i use one for any td04 turbo?

T5frankie
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:56
right just looked and no mine is not blanked off.........£££££££

do i have to use a blanking plate specific to a c70 t5 or can i use one for any td04 turbo?

a t5 engine is a t5 engine mate they are all the same

claymore
Monday 4th July 2011, 21:58
Does it still have the vac pipe going to it, if so, you could just put a one way valve in the line.

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 22:03
Does it still have the vac pipe going to it, if so, you could just put a one way valve in the line.

yes still got a pipe attached to it

a what?

big shrek
Monday 4th July 2011, 22:08
will this fit even tho its for a 850 t5? cant find owt for the c70

http://forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=250301&product=FMBPVRM

claymore
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 07:36
will this fit even tho its for a 850 t5? cant find owt for the c70

http://forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=250301&product=FMBPVRM

Yes that't fine, you need to forget your car is a c70, your engine is a t5, all pre me7 (me7 has no throttle cable) t5 engines are the same.

big shrek
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 19:12
Yes that't fine, you need to forget your car is a c70, your engine is a t5, all pre me7 (me7 has no throttle cable) t5 engines are the same.

ok will do :)

how hard is it to fit that blanking plate? 5 min job or complete ball ache

T5frankie
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 19:25

easy job if you have a ratchet spanner otherwise its a pain in the arse

claymore
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 19:26

Not to bad, but make sure you've got a 10mm ratchet spanner.

EDIT: That bloodey Frankie beat me to it again

T5frankie
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 19:28
read post 50 mate lol

big shrek
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 20:05
easy job if you have a ratchet spanner otherwise its a pain in the arse

can it be fitted while its still on the car or does the turbo need to come off?

T5frankie
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 20:06

it just need 3 10mm bolts undoing whilst still on the car best to take the turbo hose off first

Jamest5r
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 20:07
15 min job mate as long as already been said with a 10mm ratchet :) but you will lose skin from your knuckes :)

Edit... bloody Frankie is quick lol :)

dps1973
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 20:07

Stay on the car just use a ratchet spanner makes l;ife soooo much easier

big shrek
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 20:16
right last question

when i remove the standard valve what do i do with the end of the pipe that i pull off it?

does it go to the vac tree?

can i use it to connect to my bailey dump valve if it is connected to the vac tree?

claymore
Tuesday 5th July 2011, 20:20
normaly, you would pull the pipe off the vac tree, but in your case i would take it off the recirc valve and put it on the dump valve, (that would save you having to get a new pipe for the dump valve.)