PDA

View Full Version : rockheadrumble's 940 head noise

The Flying Moose
Saturday 2nd July 2011, 21:57
Today I met Joe (rockheadrumble) and we took a look at his 940. Its going to take some work but a project well worth the effort I think. I believe he may be thinking of using it as a drifting car!

Anyhow at the moment there is a noise which appears to be from the head area, a sort of knock and scrape... sounds almost like the cams are scratching on the rocker cover. Seems too noisy for tappets to me but thought I would post a video to get some opinions.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML_HqbipSsQ

Jamest5r
Saturday 2nd July 2011, 22:09
You know who to call :)

The Flying Moose
Saturday 2nd July 2011, 22:13
You know who to call :)

Haha, funny you mension that... he sounds ill, blames the kids for lack of sleep! Too busy watching the fight he says. There was me thinking the mension of the number 940 stimulated smithy but obviously not, usually cant shut him up!

smithy
Sunday 3rd July 2011, 00:59
yes i was tired but i think he needs to check the timing and check for leaks on manifold inlet and exhaust.i think i need to see this car to confirm this though.

smithy
Friday 8th July 2011, 16:42
it might be that your shims are too small was the noice there when you got the car

rockheadrumble
Monday 10th October 2011, 23:37
ha, just found this thread that Emlyn started for me. Forgot that he'd put it on.

Yeh i read a little about shims. I dont have clue how to fit them or what size i would need but i think it could be related to them. Well them and the exhaust gasket, that's definitely leaking.

The noise was there a little when i bought the car but its getting louder by the the day. iv just ordered a new set of manifold gaskets, hopefully it will sort it.

How do i know what shims to use? I going to order a new cam soon so il need to know what shims to use, if any?

cheers

joe

smithy
Tuesday 11th October 2011, 05:58
ring me mate i will explain all

rockheadrumble
Tuesday 11th October 2011, 11:00
cool, il ring you later on mate. need to get some credit as i lost my contract phone.!

cheers, speak to you soon

joe

rockheadrumble
Thursday 10th November 2011, 18:00
Problem solved.

The 'mechanic' had put ALL 4 of the exhaust gaskets on the wrong way round!!!! Each gasket was blocking the exhaust port by around 4mm on two side! This meant it only had around 1 or 2mm of contact down both of those sides which inevitably led to them blowing through.

If this wasn't a higher enough display of his lack of competence then maybe the vacuum 5mm hole/port that he had left open in the turbo compressor housing was.!!!!

No wonder the car sounded like it had ball bearings in its head.

Now all of this is solved though i do miss the fact that at night i can now longer see flashes of flames coming out of my exhaust!!

joe