PDA

View Full Version : turbo

tattoo101
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 23:23
how long do you think it would take to change a turbo. plus what new bits should i get form volvo

cheers

p fandango
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 23:26
your better off getting new studs & nuts. Have you thought about changing the exhaust manifold to either a ME7 or better still a S60R while you've got the turbo off anyway

tattoo101
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 23:28
im on the look out for a s60r manifold at the moment

p fandango
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 23:30
im on the look out for a s60r manifold at the moment
i got a new one for £300 from Rufe, think the studs, nuts & gaskets were another £100

Tomcat
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 23:31
Changing the turbo isn't an over complicated job, provided you have all the right bits and nothings siezed you can have it done in an afternoon.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 23:35
Last time I changed a turbo was upgrading the 15G to a 16T. It took quite a while and was done in the hanger at work during a night shift. I would say if you havnt done it before set aside 6 hours to do the job. Once the downpipe is cracked off and you have freed the nuts the rests fairly straightforward just a case of wriggling it out and popping the new one in. Just be careful not to overtighten the rear water coolant pipe to the turbo as I did twice! A puddle on the floor after its all together again is a real heart stopper!

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 23:40
If you're not changing the manifold then you can crack the centre clamp on the turbo and just swap the compressor housing and CHRA over, a lot easier than trying to undo the exhaust nuts, etc.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 23:55
If you're not changing the manifold then you can crack the centre clamp on the turbo and just swap the compressor housing and CHRA over, a lot easier than trying to undo the exhaust nuts, etc.

Thats actually a really good idea bomb... why didnt I think of that! Makes perfect sense as if I remember rightly the 15g and 16t exhaust housings have the same size outlets.

james
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 00:03
Thats actually a really good idea bomb... why didnt I think of that! Makes perfect sense as if I remember rightly the 15g and 16t exhaust housings have the same size outlets.

sorry for the hijack but would this be the same story with the 18t???

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 00:06
sorry for the hijack but would this be the same story with the 18t???

The exhaust housing is ported slightly larger but the compressor and housing should fit yes.

james
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 00:09
The exhaust housing is ported slightly larger but the compressor and housing should fit yes.

thanks , i wish i had a garage to do the swop in im hoping t5 pete will help me change the units over in his garage and hopefully this will make things easier :)

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 00:15
thanks , i wish i had a garage to do the swop in im hoping t5 pete will help me change the units over in his garage and hopefully this will make things easier :)

It is possible to do the change without lifting the car but far easier if you can to reach the lower manifold bolts (if removing the whole unit), oh and dont forget the bending over back pain! If its a nice day why not have a crack outside mate?

I should be back up North at some point later next month, if you want a hand give me a shout and ill bring the tools and change it for you.

james
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 00:22
It is possible to do the change without lifting the car but far easier if you can to reach the lower manifold bolts (if removing the whole unit), oh and dont forget the bending over back pain! If its a nice day why not have a crack outside mate?

I should be back up North at some point later next month, if you want a hand give me a shout and ill bring the tools and change it for you.

thats an amazing offer i would pay you for something for ur fuel bill,we could arrange a mini meet at t5pete's? im just afraid of bolts being seized or shearing off, im a bodyman by trade and although im learning mechanicals with the t5 constantly wanting things changing the turbo swop maybe a little bit out of my leauge without help if i may be totally honest :)

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 11:26
Exactly. The only one difference (apart from some porting as you say) is the angled or straight flanges on some exhaust housings. But at the end of the day, it depends on how far one wants to go with the modifications. If you're just swapping the turbo over i.e. old oe is knackered, then its an easier way.

Only problem is you have to be really careful not to damage the turbine blades on installing the new turbo :worried:

T5frankie
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 14:31
and don't forget to put one copper washer either side of all the banjos or there will be oil or water pissing everywhere like i did and couldn't figure it out lol

james
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 14:45
and don't forget to put one copper washer either side of all the banjos or there will be oil or water pissing everywhere like i did and couldn't figure it out lol

cheers for the tip frankie

are these on the oil and coolant lines that plumb into the turbo? :)

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 15:52
cheers for the tip frankie

are these on the oil and coolant lines that plumb into the turbo? :)
Yep, thems the ones.

One other tip, best thing to do is to leave the one water pipe connected to the turbo (one of the front of the CHRA) as it is near impossible to get to to undo. Undo the rubber hose which is at the other end of this pipe, and it comes out with the turbo.

crezzy2k1
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 16:55
I did this a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty straight forward, i changed everything on mine except the manifold that i have now discovered is leaking! Anyway the hardest part i came across was removing the heat shield it gets stuck on the engine! Everything else is easy though if your going to take off the dp or the manifold just spray a bit of WD40 on the bolts every 5 mins while doing the job and they should come off easy mine did which surprised me considering they have been on there for 15 years!

The Flying Moose
Thursday 30th June 2011, 01:03
thats an amazing offer i would pay you for something for ur fuel bill,we could arrange a mini meet at t5pete's? im just afraid of bolts being seized or shearing off, im a bodyman by trade and although im learning mechanicals with the t5 constantly wanting things changing the turbo swop maybe a little bit out of my leauge without help if i may be totally honest :)

No problem, let me know roughly when your planning on getting the job done and ill try to nip over, pete has a great knowledge and with the pair of us on the job it should be done in no time. I have to admit im not the fastest at changing turbos and neither do I have the lightest of hands but changing one is no problem. I need to change mine and fit the 19T, probably a job for Saturday morning!

james
Thursday 30th June 2011, 08:58
Hi moose thanks for ur reply i used to live in lincoln on bunkers hill (next door to the poachers pub) is that anywhere near you? i'm going to see pete tomora so i'll see what he says.i know he's getting married sumtime around the 24th so not exacly sure when he is available or if hes goin on honeymoon etc , would be good to meet up and get this turbo on and we could take sum good pics of us with the motors,speak soon :)

p.s i'll get the heatshield off in the meantime

The Flying Moose
Thursday 30th June 2011, 09:18
Hi moose thanks for ur reply i used to live in lincoln on bunkers hill (next door to the poachers pub) is that anywhere near you? i'm going to see pete tomora so i'll see what he says.i know he's getting married sumtime around the 24th so not exacly sure when he is available or if hes goin on honeymoon etc , would be good to meet up and get this turbo on and we could take sum good pics of us with the motors,speak soon :)

p.s i'll get the heatshield off in the meantime

Yeah not far from Bunkers Hill, house on the Ermine near the Police station. My folks live in Dunholme.

Let me know how it goes.

T5frankie
Thursday 30th June 2011, 13:35
Heatshelds should be left off Imo

crezzy2k1
Thursday 30th June 2011, 16:03

Yeah mine has remained off!

james
Thursday 30th June 2011, 16:11

don't worry once i get it off it's not goin bak on lol :)

T5frankie
Thursday 30th June 2011, 16:12
Yeah mine has remained off!

i've taken off about 4 now they are that difficult to get out i just cant be arsed putting them back on, it s nice when you can adjust the actuaqtor as and when you need to

james
Thursday 30th June 2011, 17:43
taken the shield off was easier than i thought ,am i right in thinking the turbo comes out from the top? manuvre it across the gearbox side then up and out?

T5frankie
Thursday 30th June 2011, 18:16
taken the shield off was easier than i thought ,am i right in thinking the turbo comes out from the top? manuvre it across the gearbox side then up and out?

thats it mate. I had to buy a really long spanner to get at one of the bolts for the turbo from underneath

james
Thursday 30th June 2011, 18:20
nice one hopefully with my skinny build i'll be ok to get at the bolts? ive had a good look underneath and all the fixings look ok to get to , i was tempted to start doing it tonight

T5frankie
Thursday 30th June 2011, 18:23
nice one hopefully with my skinny build i'll be ok to get at the bolts? ive had a good look underneath and all the fixings look ok to get to

you will see what i mean when you come to it its the nut/bolt underneath from turbo to manifold closest to the air filter side, have you bought a metal gasket from turbo to manifold?

james
Thursday 30th June 2011, 18:25
you will see what i mean when you come to it its the nut/bolt underneath from turbo to manifold closest to the air filter side, have you bought a metal gasket from turbo to manifold?

i did buy one but the goons sent me the wrong one , is there one i can get for the exhaust aswel? ive seen them demon gaskets do they do them for these?

james
Thursday 30th June 2011, 18:27
i dont suppose youve got a link for the gaskets have you frankie?

Jamest5r
Thursday 30th June 2011, 19:35
i dont suppose youve got a link for the gaskets have you frankie?

They only started using them on the 70's not on the 850 so just ask for the turbo to mani gasket for a 70 and you'll be fine.

Also for the bolt Frankie is talking about get a 19mm spanner and get the sides flattened so there is no outer curve's if you understand what i mean then it will slot in nicely and you can turn it :)

T5frankie
Thursday 30th June 2011, 19:40
They only started using them on the 70's not on the 850 so just ask for the turbo to mani gasket for a 70 and you'll be fine.

Also for the bolt Frankie is talking about get a 19mm spanner and get the sides flattened so there is no outer curve's if you understand what i mean then it will slot in nicely and you can turn it :)

i got a 330mm long 13/15mm spanner saved me alot of ball ache, as for the gasket they are a main dealer part only about a fiver

james
Thursday 30th June 2011, 19:43

cheers james i did ask volvo when i bought the oil return seals and nuts+studs a while back about the gaskets and they told me they was a dry fit,is theres a gasket on the cat end?

T5frankie
Thursday 30th June 2011, 19:46
cheers james i did ask volvo when i bought the oil return seals and nuts+studs a while back about the gaskets and they told me they was a dry fit,is theres a gasket on the cat end?

no there isn't mate

james
Thursday 30th June 2011, 19:47
i got a 330mm long 13/15mm spanner saved me alot of ball ache, as for the gasket they are a main dealer part only about a fiver

i don't suppose i could have ur reg number to get the gaskets frankie?

the guys at volvo sheffield insist on a reg number

Jamest5r
Thursday 30th June 2011, 19:59
i don't suppose i could have ur reg number to get the gaskets frankie?

the guys at volvo sheffield insist on a reg number

Pm'ed

james
Thursday 30th June 2011, 20:03
Pm'ed

cheers james , what about the banjo seals for oil and water lines are they available from stealer? :)

T5frankie
Thursday 30th June 2011, 20:04
cheers james , what about the banjo seals for oil and water lines are they available from stealer? :)

i got the copper washers from halfords

james
Thursday 30th June 2011, 20:09
cheers , do you know the inner and outer sizes ? i havnt got transport to get to my nearest halfords when i get the turbo off , unless i go on bus lol i suppose they will do a box selection ill have a look tomora :)

Jamest5r
Thursday 30th June 2011, 20:10

Honest answer don't know :) they are only copper washers Frankie would know as he missed putting the bottom one's on so must of sourced some replacement's :) i done the same bloody thing and pulled the turbo back off looking for leaks until i was "enlightend" by a phone call :)

Oh and when i said above a 19mm spanner that's wrong for you it's what ive got because my banjo's are larger :)

james
Thursday 30th June 2011, 20:16
right ok cheers for that i think mine are at a guess 14 or 15 ? i'll go out and check

james
Thursday 30th June 2011, 20:19
theyre a 17mm :)

james
Thursday 30th June 2011, 20:26
ive read on VOC that sumbody says to take the brake res off , is this the case?

T5frankie
Thursday 30th June 2011, 20:30
i bought this set as there was none the right size as a small pack

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_25 6973_langId_-1_categoryId_165562

james
Thursday 30th June 2011, 20:34
i bought this set as there was none the right size as a small pack

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_25 6973_langId_-1_categoryId_165562

nice 1 ;)

crezzy2k1
Friday 1st July 2011, 15:26
ive read on VOC that sumbody says to take the brake res off , is this the case?

No need mate, it may get in the way when removing the turbo but you can undo the central clamp and seperate the turbo from the flange which is what i did when i did mine.
Might be doing it again soon as i think i may have sourced a 19t!!!

james
Friday 1st July 2011, 15:41
did you leave the block end of ur turbo bolted on then mate?

T5frankie
Friday 1st July 2011, 15:47
i cant see how thats easier i undone the clamp and it was stuck solid

james
Friday 1st July 2011, 15:57
i was hoping not to take the brake servo and res off ive never done it before lol

Tomcat
Friday 1st July 2011, 16:01
Shouldn't have to remove the brake servo to get the turbo off.

james
Friday 1st July 2011, 16:06
Shouldn't have to remove the brake servo to get the turbo off.

i read a post on VOC and it mentions it but in the haynes manual it dosnt mention it at all

T5frankie
Friday 1st July 2011, 16:14
you dont have to take anything off mate it will slide out towards the air filter side

james
Friday 1st July 2011, 16:18
brill , ive ordered a new actuator for piece of mind and i just need to get the gasket and copper seals then shes coming off

T5frankie
Friday 1st July 2011, 16:45
brill , ive ordered a new actuator for piece of mind and i just need to get the gasket and copper seals then shes coming off

good luck it was a job that totally got on my nerves took me a week lol with all the stop starting and leaks etc just follow the advice given and you will be okay its just really fiddly

james
Friday 1st July 2011, 17:01
good luck it was a job that totally got on my nerves too me a week lol with all the stop starting and leaks etc just follow the advice given and you will be okay its just really fiddly

cheers frankie :) ive been researching it for months just need to dive in and do it , my main worry is studs shearing etc

the actuator is comin from japan 'kinuaga' or sumthin like that so ive got a couple of weeks to get the gasket and copper seals but pretty much skint

this car is costimg me a fortune but i love it lol :)

T5frankie
Friday 1st July 2011, 17:50
cheers frankie :) ive been researching it for months just need to dive in and do it , my main worry is studs shearing etc

the actuator is comin from japan 'kinuaga' or sumthin like that so ive got a couple of weeks to get the gasket and copper seals but pretty much skint

this car is costimg me a fortune but i love it lol :)

why are you buying a new actuator? and it's not a genuine mitsibishi one?

james
Friday 1st July 2011, 18:05
why are you buying a new actuator? and it's not a genuine mitsibishi one?

buying it for piece of mind,here it is

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120737735063&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

T5frankie
Friday 1st July 2011, 18:19
buying it for piece of mind,here it is

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120737735063&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

ok cool remember to soak all the nuts/bolts for as long as you can with wd40

james
Friday 1st July 2011, 18:26
ok cool remember to soak all the nuts/bolts for as long as you can with wd40

ok frankie i thought u was gonna say ' no no theyre crap' lol

yep will do soak all bolts i squirted loads round yesterday and oil when i took heat shield off and will do again

do i need to take the flat heatshield off thats almost flush with engine block?? i did take the bolts out then put them back in , i was relieved to get the other heat shield out from the o/s suspension i thought i may have tried getting it out the wrong way lol

T5frankie
Friday 1st July 2011, 18:43

yep will do soak all bolts i squirted loads round yesterday and oil when i took heat shield off and will do again

do i need to take the flat heatshield off thats almost flush with engine block?? i did take the bolts out then put them back in , i was relieved to get the other heat shield out from the o/s suspension i thought i may have tried getting it out the wrong way lol

i took them both off all my cars, and as for that actuator i don't know anything about that company mate

james
Friday 1st July 2011, 18:45
i took them both off all my cars, and as for that actuator i don't know anything about that company mate

ok nice one i'll get it off cheers for all the advice :)

Tomcat
Friday 1st July 2011, 19:00
You've no real need to put the heat shields back on, I've removed them from virtualy every 850 I've had and had no problems. If you competant with the spanners then removing the turbo shouldn't take you more than a few hours (provided the downpipe separates ok).

T5frankie
Friday 1st July 2011, 19:05
You've no real need to put the heat shields back on, I've removed them from virtualy every 850 I've had and had no problems. If you competant with the spanners then removing the turbo shouldn't take you more than a few hours (provided the downpipe separates ok).

mine didnt i needed a lump hammer and a chisel

crezzy2k1
Friday 1st July 2011, 19:11

Its a good idea to take the thing off as it will inevitably get in the way at some point!

If you have to split the turbo from the flange a hammer may well be required to seperate them, it took me a while but i got there eventually just make sure you use a block of wood on it. You never know whats gonna happen when you pull these old turbos apart!

shrekblackR
Friday 1st July 2011, 23:22
as said mate just take your time and youll be fine mate ,, also might wanna do an oil and filter change at the same time ,,, good luck pal

james
Saturday 2nd July 2011, 10:18
morning all , would it be a sensible idea to drop both the coolant and oil before removing turbo? :)

T5frankie
Saturday 2nd July 2011, 10:30
morning all , would it be a sensible idea to drop both the coolant and oil before removing turbo? :)

no don't worry about that the water will come out anyway and the oil is in the sump so wont come out anyway

james
Saturday 2nd July 2011, 10:35
no don't worry about that the water will come out anyway and the oil is in the sump so wont come out anyway

cheers frankie , ive also got the small orange oil return pipe seal for the sump end = does the sump have to come off to change this (yes said the volvo dealer) or is the pipe fixed/bolted from the outside and the pipe than just pulls up and out ?

T5frankie
Saturday 2nd July 2011, 10:41
cheers frankie , ive also got the small orange oil return pipe seal for the sump end = does the sump have to come off to change this (yes said the volvo dealer) or is the pipe fixed/bolted from the outside and the pipe than just pulls up and out ?

dealer sounds like an idiot it has 2 allen bolts at the top end and the other end push fits into the sump, a word of advice my oil return pipe had a tiny piece of gasket left on and caused a leak so give it a clean before putting a new gasket on, this is a vey fiddly job lol

james
Saturday 2nd July 2011, 10:48
yep theyres one funny bugger at harratts volvo sheffield and theres one thats really sound and we get chattin for a bit , i thought it may be bolted , i took the other heatshield of earlier and have been squirting oil and wd40 on bolts :) wud it be best to have engine running a bit before i undo nuts? and i'll take my time with seals etc thanks for all the heads ups :)

T5frankie
Saturday 2nd July 2011, 11:00
yep theyres one funny bugger at harratts volvo sheffield and theres one thats really sound and we get chattin for a bit , i thought it may be bolted , i took the other heatshield of earlier and have been squirting oil and wd40 on bolts :) wud it be best to have engine running a bit before i undo nuts? and i'll take my time with seals etc thanks for all the heads ups :)

just start from cold you will have to be a contortionist to get at some of these bolts, you got ramps? and you will need a torch or lamp

james
Saturday 2nd July 2011, 11:07
yep ive got axle stands and tools , i bought sum ramps ages ago but car wont go up em unless i take front bumper off lol

the bolts look better to get at than the one tricky reciric bolt

T5frankie
Saturday 2nd July 2011, 11:26
yep ive got axle stands and tools , i bought sum ramps ages ago but car wont go up em unless i take front bumper off lol

the bolts look better to get at than the one tricky reciric bolt

dunno why i said that lol i have the same problem and my car is lowered, waste of money lol

crezzy2k1
Saturday 2nd July 2011, 23:29
dunno why i said that lol i have the same problem and my car is lowered, waste of money lol

lol i had the same problem with mine! had to use some pre cut 4x2's to get the car up! a little on the dodgy side but it worked!