PDA

View Full Version : Remap- To do or not to do?.....

Bubs
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 15:30
I have a phase 2 V70 T5 and was considering a Remap, however, my friend remapped his 54 plate Vrs and sure enough the clutch started slipping 3 days later...so performance clutch had to go in etc etc and then it all became £.

I keep hearing horror stories about remaps...but I cant help feeling that a remap on a V70 that was designed to carry alot of weight could handle abit more torque? I dont know.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, also if anyone has had a remap on this car Id love to know performance results! BHP etc.
Let me know what you think!

STEVO RRR
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 15:46
I have a phase 2 V70 T5 and was considering a Remap, however, my friend remapped his 54 plate Vrs and sure enough the clutch started slipping 3 days later...so performance clutch had to go in etc etc and then it all became £.

I keep hearing horror stories about remaps...but I cant help feeling that a remap on a V70 that was designed to carry alot of weight could handle abit more torque? I dont know.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, also if anyone has had a remap on this car Id love to know performance results! BHP etc.
Let me know what you think!

Just had one one on my S60R.Its fantastic!Absolutely no difference in the way the car behaves until you put your foot down.Actually HURTS when I floor mine.No clutch/gearbox issues felt but you are undoubtably stressing them more.My advice is to go with it.Mine is now 340 bhp and 470 torques.No difference in MPG but can drive in higher gear at lower speeds due to the extra torque.Try these guys. REMAPPERFORMANCE.COM.

Steve

jardon
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 15:51
A re-map "shouldn't" break anything but it will expose weaknesses in things like suspension on older cars and engine mounts get more stress. My 70k clutch was fine with a stage 1 map and was fine for quite a while with significantly more torque 20000 miles later. It gave up in the end but it would have been fine for a lot longer with a stage one. Depends how the clutch has been used in the past I guess. Not heard any stage 1 clutch horror stories on Phase 2 T5's.

cherry1809
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 16:05
My remap exposed a weak clutch within a month of fitting and setting it up.
All smiles after though :)

Bubs
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 16:16
Hmmmm Thanks guys, so safe to say deterioration in the clutch is fairly inevitable but could take anything between 100 miles and 20,000....Right, someone else tell me how good it is and I may be convinced!

cherry1809
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 16:29
My car has racked up 180k with no mention of a clutch change in the large pile of history, So I wasn't blaming the remap. ;)
Haven't looked back since fitting it, And I haven't got the boost to where it should be yet.

jardon
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 16:35
How many miles on the existing clutch bubs. Mine went when we fitted bigger turbo etc so the stage 1 would have run and run I think. How good are they - depends on the supplier but value wise it's a no brainer. Plenty more mid range torque for minimal investment. The forums are awash with advice (arguments too) on which map etc but having tried 4 tuners products (3 stage 1's!) I recommend MTE - available from Kalmar Union.

http://kalmar-union.com/

Don Norchi is the owner of Kalmar Union and I usually ring him on 07973428954 as I'm impatient or email don@kalmar-union.com

Bubs
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 16:49
How many miles on the existing clutch bubs. Mine went when we fitted bigger turbo etc so the stage 1 would have run and run I think. How good are they - depends on the supplier but value wise it's a no brainer. Plenty more mid range torque for minimal investment. The forums are awash with advice (arguments too) on which map etc but having tried 4 tuners products (3 stage 1's!) I recommend MTE - available from Kalmar Union.

http://kalmar-union.com/

Don Norchi is the owner of Kalmar Union and I usually ring him on 07973428954 as I'm impatient or email don@kalmar-union.com

This clutch has 115,000 on the clock, feels fine to my knowledge, no vibration or anything unusual...I've heard MTE mentioned a few times now. Think il have to ring this chap then!:smile: thank you very much for your input guys, so come on then, how fast is this thing going to go??

wegal
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 17:09
MTE stage 2, front mount intercooler, ferreta downpipe with 100 cell race cat.. same engine as yours, was dyno'd at 300 bhp at the WHEELS before the standard cat was changed for the race cat.

How much power ? You wont believe just how bloody quick it will be, neither will the porsche, scoobie, evo *delete as appropriate* driver as you humiliate him with your volvo.

Mine goes from 40 to 60 in under 2 seconds ( kinda difficult to time exactly cos its so fast) and still pulls just as hard when the needle is showing twice the motorway legal limit.

Without the intercooler you will suffer from high intake temps and some loss of the extra power, but you wouldnt notice unless you fitted a front mount.

The clutch should be ok, but it does depend on how YOU DRIVE and what state its in at the moment, if you abuse it then its gonna break, with or without the increase.

As to how fast will it go..... plenty fast enough to get you banned for a very long time. You have to start learning to look at your speedo especially on the motorway, because 140mph is no more noisey than 70mph.. oh and with the MTE stage 2 if you really go for it then the speedo needle will run out of numbers !

jardon
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 17:20
I would have no concerns about getting it remapped - making sure it's servicing is up to date is sensible. They always benefit from new plugs (standard Volvo), filters and decent fuel. Choose a reputable provider and go for it - it will put a smile on your face. How fast - these cars are never going to worry an Evo from a standing start but the mid range overtaking ability will improve significantly. Top end is a genuine 155 as standard and you may get a little more if you have a long enough road. A stage 1 will not give mind blowing BHP on a dyno - around 270 would be a sensible estimate. Mid range torque should be ~400NM over a good rpm spread though and thats what feels nice. Some tuning companies quote 300+ bhp with a stage 1 map but these are spurious sales claims and to be avoided like the plague.

Santa
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 17:57
Go for it. Some suppliers of maps can also supply a device that allows you to switch between your re-map and standard. (Like Rica, they do a device that allows you to switch between the remap(s) and standard for about £100).

Also stress can be caused by driving style...or the changes in driving style when you get loads more low down torque. (Remember torque can damage clutches, only because you can pull away in fifth doesn't mean you should ;-) )

t5_monkey
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 20:22
run 25000 on a stage 3 remap.. no problems here as yet.

Stuff wears out in cars, you may as well enjoy the ride :)

p fandango
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 20:26
is the DMF as much of an issue of T5's as it is D5's, that would be my biggest concern as its not fun nor cheap to fix

Santa
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 20:28
is the DMF as much of an issue of T5's as it is D5's, that would be my biggest concern as its not fun nor cheap to fix

Already had that pleasure lol

p fandango
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 20:34
Already had that pleasure lol
when we were looking for my dad's car we test drove one with the DMF had gone, it ain't nice lol. When i took it a drive because i drive sensibly & normal i never actually spotted it, luckily my bro had a drive as well & gave it a good thrashing & the car vibrated like mad

GazT4R
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 20:37

Whilst undoubtedly the extra torque puts strain on the DMF, as with many components on a remapped car, on a petrol the torque is made higher up the rev range so doesn't give it quite the battering a remapped diesel does. It's a diesels massive low rpm torque that really kills them.

t5_monkey
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 21:57
you can swap the clutch in the S40 for the Focus RS clutch, or a nice choice of upgraded ones that handle just about any amount of power... and get a solid flywheel thus removing the DMF issue.

Bubs
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 22:12
Right i think im going to take the plunge... One life live it i suppose! Id certainly love the option of removing the map that sounds good. Plus I have the oppertunity to fit a clutch free of labour charge which softens the blow in the worst case scenario. So stuff it why not. So gun to head had to do it right now, what company?
I wish there was a "thank all" button...

t5_monkey
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 00:19
Right i think im going to take the plunge... One life live it i suppose! Id certainly love the option of removing the map that sounds good. Plus I have the oppertunity to fit a clutch free of labour charge which softens the blow in the worst case scenario. So stuff it why not. So gun to head had to do it right now, what company?

If it was gonna break, it'll break remap or not.

I'd rather buy a well cared for remapped car, than a neglected one that's stock! let's put it that way.

Breakages are just an excuse for more upgrades anyways ;)

jardon
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 00:34
So gun to head had to do it right now, what company?

MTE. My car is a 2002 V70 and I had problems with an Autologic and Rica stage one, MTE stage 1 was just brilliant - my best tuning spend ever. Things have progressed slightly since then and and I still use them for my custom mapping.

p fandango
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 04:37
what company?
your better off doing a bit of research & if possible try & have a ride in a car thats got that map on it, having been in quite a few some give the power a nice aggressive edge which i like. While overs feed the power in slower & keep the car feeling like standard (ie boring lol)

KPB
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 15:27
I've had two cars (one T5 and one 530d) both remapped. Both developed faults almost immediately, but both were down to unforeseen weaknesses in the cars rather than the software.

The T5 had a RICA stage 1 put on it and it transformed the car. But... it ran red hot, the clutch started slipping and it kept losing boost unless I reset the fault codes by disconnecting the battery. An indy couldnt locate the fault but the next owner contacted me after I traded it in and had changed a turbo seal and a boost control sensor. His words - not mine.

The 530d's propshaft didnt like the 360ft lbs of torque and rumbled on full bore, so I had it detuned back down to closer to standard.

The point i'm making (and has seemed to be echoed here) is that there isnt a black and white answer as to whether its a good idea, but you should bear in mind you might end up spending a few more £££ on some remedial work after mapping. Or you might go countless miles without issue.

Good luck!

pps - I had a Rica softloader and you wont really want to revert it back to standard. Its far less fun and lower MPG!