PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas as to what would cause this?

Dave86
Monday 27th June 2011, 19:48
Well after a very hot and muggy day i drove home from work in my usual enthusiastic fashion banging out 'Turning Japanese' noticed nothing untoward until i swung into my carpark and half way round the bend the car cut out so after fighting with the lack of power steering i coasted round the corner and tried to restart the car. It started then stalled the ets light and the engine management light came on, so straight away im thinking the ets units given up and its time to get a bank loan. So after starting it and keeping the revs up i managed to get it into my space stuck the moody ebay code reader in and came up with some generic code about throttle position sensor. Opened the bonnet had a quick poke about and found the hard pipe that goes from the intercooler to the throttle unit had come off at the throttle end causing a massive vacuum leak so i put it back on and its fine just as well it happened here than half way home from work.
So after all the above;
How did the pipe manage to come off as the jubilee clip was still proper tight on the end.
Has this happened to any1 else?

The Flying Moose
Monday 27th June 2011, 20:56
What sort of boost are you running? Even so its not a joint that would regularly disconnect under high boost pressure. Sometimes the heat can aid the metalwork to slip off the silicone/rubber hoses.

leet5r
Monday 27th June 2011, 22:13
boost

Dave86
Monday 27th June 2011, 22:28
Standard boost about 0.7 bar on the gauge and its not rubber its hard plastic on the me7. haven't changed or done anything to it recently maybe its just because it was hot today and i was hoofing it a bit ... Who knows :)

claymore
Monday 27th June 2011, 22:29
the standard volvo rubber joiners are quite poor when they get old

Matt-850-T5
Sunday 10th July 2011, 19:40
Mine does this! Pipe keeps coming off. I put a better jubilee clip on and still came off under pressure,down to old hoses.

t5 pete
Sunday 10th July 2011, 22:15
They work there way off also if u notice there is always a coating of oil in the pipes making it very slippy best thing to do is clean the joins with brake anf clutch cleaner and tighten them all up