PDA

View Full Version : Help needed please!!

fraz13
Wednesday 3rd August 2005, 16:11
Ok it all started yesterday morning, Driving along the road at around 50mph just cruising and the car seemed to cut out for a milisecond then go again (S70 T5 Auto)

Thought it weird but never worried about it, then it did it again but cut out a bit longer this time, then the dreaded management light showed its ugly face, This continued now and then at no particular times all the way home, cutting out at traffic lights n then driving fine.

Today a got the codes read but dunno the actual code a was told it was air mass meter, Had this code before and it ended up the rubber elbow on the inlet manifold, codes were cleared and a was away again

2 mins later it did it again and lights back on, continued to cut out, started it up but it cut out again straight away, then it would start n drive then cut ut again, eventually on the motorway it was constantly losing power untill a came off and it died totally, just wouldnt start again, A left it 10 mins and it fired up but was rough as f*ck then died and game was up

A was then told to disconect the air mass meter and its ran all the way home without any hesitation or cutting out although power is way down

Is it the air mass meter thats given up or could it be an air leak? or anyone any other ideas?

Soz bout the size of the story but hope someone can help :(

Straker
Wednesday 3rd August 2005, 16:15
Fraid it sounds like the MAF sensor (air flow meter) has gone. :frown: They can be fragile as there is a tiny fine wire inside that actually does the job of measuring the air. It also buggers the engine management system completely if they are not working. With the MAF sensor diconnected the car will run but it sounds like its in limp home mode, i.e. way down on power.

The genuine volvo bit will probably be expensive so try e-bay and breakers for a second hand one.

Good luck

spesh
Wednesday 3rd August 2005, 16:20
Yep def sounds like that MAF sensor has had enough of you driving Fraz!!!!
Hope you get one cheap!!

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 3rd August 2005, 16:21
Ring salvo - should cost you about £70 - £80 quid with out 10% discount!

x

Al115
Wednesday 3rd August 2005, 16:22
The MAFs on our cars are known for being CRAP. If you tested by disconnecting the MAF and it ran smoothly then it does sound like the MAF is at fault.

You could as a first step try contact cleaner on the plug connection to the MAF and plug/unplug a few times... it's worked in the past and is a lot cheaper than a new one. eBay has them at £65 new, else they're around £200 I think.

Good luck fella!

fraz13
Wednesday 3rd August 2005, 16:23
Cheers for that, a was hoping it wasnt that but al need to bit the bullit if it is as a use ma car for work

Ideally a could do with borrowing one to give it a try as Volvo Glasgow want £247 inc VAT

Anyone local up 4 a swap lol

fraz13
Wednesday 3rd August 2005, 16:34
Salvo sounds like a plan but arent they extremely sensitive and with the post getting flung about could it not get broken worse than mine?

SaffronC70
Wednesday 3rd August 2005, 17:18
They aren't 'that' sensitive - pick one up on Ebay, like Al said.

You could give yours a clean in the mean time, to see if this helps at all.

Chris

fraz13
Thursday 4th August 2005, 18:06
Borrowed 1 today from a V70 T5 and the cars running perfect although the lights still on :slap:

A called Salvo and they had one in stock for the grand total of £54 + £8 postage with our discount :remybussi Should be with me tomoz, how happy does that make me :D

Also got a wee interior bit that was broken so all happy here

Big thanx to Mark at Salvo :B_steerin