PDA

View Full Version : Actuator problems?

cherry1809
Sunday 26th June 2011, 10:11
Having boost issues. :mad:
Was boosting at 14psi and dropping back to around 12. Was like this for a while and didn't have a problem with it.
Then after I got it back from having the clutch done, It was boosting at 9psi and ran like a POS. Found the pipe was crumbled going to the recirc valve and replaced it with silicon. Boosted to 14-15psi and ran well.
Coming back from France it dropped back to 10psi now and then, Sometimes dropping right off to almost nothing, And now it's sitting at 10psi permanent.
I've changed the BCS to one I know's working fine and was going to change the actuator today but looking at it, It looks like the one on the car is different to the 16T item I bought from siamblue?
What goes wrong within the actuator if thats the problem? Any way of checking it before I pull everything off? I also suspect the recirc valve is messing about, As I can hear a hiss when closing throttle where I couldn't before. All boost hoses are fine.

smithy
Sunday 26th June 2011, 11:23
Having boost issues. :mad:
Was boosting at 14psi and dropping back to around 12. Was like this for a while and didn't have a problem with it.
Then after I got it back from having the clutch done, It was boosting at 9psi and ran like a POS. Found the pipe was crumbled going to the recirc valve and replaced it with silicon. Boosted to 14-15psi and ran well.
Coming back from France it dropped back to 10psi now and then, Sometimes dropping right off to almost nothing, And now it's sitting at 10psi permanent.
I've changed the BCS to one I know's working fine and was going to change the actuator today but looking at it, It looks like the one on the car is different to the 16T item I bought from siamblue?
What goes wrong within the actuator if thats the problem? Any way of checking it before I pull everything off? I also suspect the recirc valve is messing about, As I can hear a hiss when closing throttle where I couldn't before. All boost hoses are fine.

the spring goes weak and cannot hold the boost anymore but if you can here hissing you have a air leak somewhere mate

cherry1809
Sunday 26th June 2011, 12:08
Only when I change gear. :) I've made a blanking plate now too, So we'll see what happens.
I have the old actuator off now and they're definately different.
The 16T actuator has a kink in the push rod where as the old one doesn't. The new actuator also has an extra bolt sticking out of it, Not sure what that's for?
Also, If it was a leak it would have dropped boost all the time, But it's up and down... Well it was, It's down all the time now.

smithy
Sunday 26th June 2011, 12:13
stick the 16t actuator on and check for a split on the idiol control valve pipe that joins the main tb pipe common place they split mate.just ideas for you

cherry1809
Sunday 26th June 2011, 13:49
Will check that in a bit, Just out taking the missus shopping and test running at the same time. Cars not happy. When changing gear there's a nasty dead spot for a split second before it picks up again. I know it'll be different due to the lack of a recirc but it happens when not under boost too. Have I missed something?

cherry1809
Sunday 26th June 2011, 15:02
Is it possible I've confused the ECU by taking the recirc out the equasion? Didn't plan on having one but if it doesn't run right I've got no choice I guess. Just didn't want the choooosh sound from an atmospheric... Sounds poo IMO.

shrekblackR
Monday 27th June 2011, 21:13
hi mate ,sometimes it can take a day or 2 for the ecu to realise what you have done , this happend with mine ran like poo poo for about 150 miles then all of a sudden bang and now its mad ,, but as said do check the tb hose mine went there not nice ,,, good luck with it buddy

cherry1809
Monday 27th June 2011, 23:34
Cheers bud. I'm running it to work all this week so I'll see what happens.
If no change by the weekend I'll drop the recirc back in.
Seems fine under load, And flat spots under half throttle.
Still not sure if the boost issues fixed as I haven't got the actuator wound up as much, So it's only running 10psi anyway now. One problem at a time.

cherry1809
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 14:12
When I said one problem at a time I didn't want more!!!

Took everything off today and double checked all the hoses and plugs etc. Nothing wrong.
Cleaned up the plugs, Put everything back together and I get an ECU fault :mad:
The revs aren't hanging when I change gear anymore, But it's still hesitating on half throttle after changing gear though...
Putting the recirc back on which seems A1 still.

Anyway of clearing the fault without a tool?

EDIT: No worries, Found it :)

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 14:44
Have you pressure tested the intake system?

cherry1809
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 15:57
Have you pressure tested the intake system?

Not yet, Was saving that for the weekend. :)
Got the recirc back on (I need smaller fingers, Lol :D) And found out why I got the fault... :redface: Less said about that the better :cry:
Tried disconnecting the ECU and still got the fault light. How long do I have to leave it disconnected?

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 17:53
And found out why I got the fault... :redface: Less said about that the better :cry:
Tried disconnecting the ECU and still got the fault light. How long do I have to leave it disconnected?
LOL, go on, what did u do?

Usually people say to leave them disconnected overnight.

cherry1809
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 18:02
Forgot to plug the ICV back in...

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 19:16
Forgot to plug the ICV back in...
LOL, you tit.

We all have those moments, I forgot to put the intake pipe back onto the MAF once LOL.

shrekblackR
Friday 1st July 2011, 23:27
pmsl me to lol glad your sorted pal