PDA

View Full Version : 850 Roof bars... MAX LOAD?

Sean575
Friday 24th June 2011, 19:48
Can anyone tell me what the maximum weight I should attempt to put on my 850 estate's roof? This of course is assuming it is an evenly distributed load and without any serious overhangs!

I'm about to buy some bars but wonder if it's 75kg, 100kg or more. Wouldn't want to waste money on 'over-engineering' :)

Al115
Friday 24th June 2011, 19:52
Does the manual not advise on this?

p fandango
Friday 24th June 2011, 20:10
Can anyone tell me what the maximum weight I should attempt to put on my 850 estate's roof? This of course is assuming it is an evenly distributed load and without any serious overhangs!

I'm about to buy some bars but wonder if it's 75kg, 100kg or more. Wouldn't want to waste money on 'over-engineering' :)
there are 2 different bars, one is a quite chunky bar while the other is thinner & better looking. Not being an estate man i guess they were changed when the went from the 850 to the V70, but someone will correct me on that one. I'd of thought the bars have a different maximum carrying capacity

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/mine/BT/old%20pics/funny7.jpg
my old Thule bars came in handy quite a few times

greenone
Saturday 25th June 2011, 18:47
Sure its 75kg on the roof bars. Without going out to the car and checking again. I lug an old wooden dinghy on mine and i'm sure when i looked it up 75kg springs to mind.

Vikingxl
Saturday 25th June 2011, 19:10
Glad to see you moved that old tat in the dark pedro

p fandango
Saturday 25th June 2011, 19:12
Glad to see you moved that old tat in the dark pedro
too right, didn't want to be seen with anything to do with that. Can't see the joy VeeDubbers (ie my bro) find out of a 2.0litre engine that struggles to make 10bhp lol

The Flying Moose
Saturday 25th June 2011, 22:27
I have to be honest I couldnt say for certain but 75kg's does ring a bell. I tend to just fill the roof box with all the "lighter" cargo.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 26th June 2011, 07:48
Not just the weight but the forces involved when moving. If you have additional mountpoints then you can carry more load - including tolerance of drag. Trust me - I was in a modeo with 4 kayaks approx 10kg each on the roof once when it parted company on a duel carriage way - A42 near Nottingham. The boats still attached to said roof rack flew over the central reservation and onto the opposite carriage way.
The boats are not that heavy in themselves - It was a miracle that no one died & no accident occurred.

After years of experience of different roof racks I would say THULE are the best & the most flexible system in terms of car to car transfer.

Watch your speed too! More than 80 mph & you are asking for trouble.