PDA

View Full Version : S60 Black smoke!

manutd4life
Thursday 23rd June 2011, 18:59
Right first of all i had a diagnostics that said the problem was the EGR Valve, so i took it to the garage to get fixed. They came back and said there was nothing wrong with the EGR Valbve but reckon its the intercooler hose or something like that. Could it be that or should i bite the bullet and take it to Volvo. Cant really afford to be messed about any more especially as i am travelling 70 miles a day.

Black smoke happens when i am mainly going up hill and when i put my foot down, I have also noticed a little bit of power loss, not much but a little. When i have it in cruise control at 70MPH you can feel the car struggling. Imagine getting to 70 then let go of the accerlerating pedal then pressing it again, thats the feel it has. The car is a 53 plate. Its just been serviced and MOT'd and now and then when i go past 70MPH up a hill the engine service required writing comes on.

Thanks

KARL
Thursday 23rd June 2011, 21:20
Right first of all i had a diagnostics that said the problem was the EGR Valve, so i took it to the garage to get fixed. They came back and said there was nothing wrong with the EGR Valbve but reckon its the intercooler hose or something like that. Could it be that or should i bite the bullet and take it to Volvo. Cant really afford to be messed about any more especially as i am travelling 70 miles a day.

Black smoke happens when i am mainly going up hill and when i put my foot down, I have also noticed a little bit of power loss, not much but a little. When i have it in cruise control at 70MPH you can feel the car struggling. Imagine getting to 70 then let go of the accerlerating pedal then pressing it again, thats the feel it has. The car is a 53 plate. Its just been serviced and MOT'd and now and then when i go past 70MPH up a hill the engine service required writing comes on.

Thanks

I had a black smoke situation in my v70 r awd. Found it to be a loose throttle body hose as it fell off later the same day.Put it back on with new clips, all good !

Hope your prob is a simple !
Cheers

manutd4life
Monday 25th July 2011, 20:34
turned out to be the intercooler

AndysR
Monday 25th July 2011, 20:36
Good to hear you got the problem rectified, I think it's quite common for the D5's to suffer with failing intercoolers...could be wrong though..