PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned out my PTC do i need to clean PCV?

Setzer
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 01:56
I cleaned out my PTC today as my car has been blowing out smoke after it idles for a minute or 2, well the PTC nipple was blocked solid and the pipes werent exactly pristine either.

Happily the car now doesnt seem to be blowing out any smoke on idle the tickover had been a bit high and that seems to have settled and it seems to pull better than it ever has but does the PTC being blocked mean that the car now needs the PCV cleaned/replaced?

p fandango
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 03:34
normally the PCV just gets replaced, if you contact a member called Rufe he is a main dealer & gives a good discount. I think the kit includes some replacement pipes as well

Setzer
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 04:27
So does my PCT being blocked then mean a PCV replacement is necessary?

p fandango
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 05:24
So does my PCT being blocked then mean a PCV replacement is necessary?
its certainly a good indication, if those pipes are blocked then the same has probably happened on the PCV. Its not a bad idea to change it every now & again anyway

crezzy2k1
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 19:38
change it mate if the PTC was blocked the ports on the engine are gonna be blocked too, do it now before you blow out the rear main seal. I did mine in February and its quite an easy job.

T5frankie
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 20:00
whats a ptc?

Jamest5r
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 20:07
Its the little part that plugs back into the air intake just before your turbo, personnally do away with it and fit a catch tank :)

MWT5
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 20:17
Its the little part that plugs back into the air intake just before your turbo, personnally do away with it and fit a catch tank :)

Does anyone on here run a catch tank instead of the pcv system

Jamest5r
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 20:23

Many do, i keep the black box and run the pipe direct to the catch tank, others just vent straight to air.

Fandango will be along in a sec to post the pics of an alternative system:)

Also RT mechanics designed a different system as well, im sure the pic whore will post you a pic :)

p fandango
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 20:31
here's a pic of the basics of my system, i have tidied it up alot since then but still plumbed the same. You can just make out the bung in the return feed back to the sump

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/mine/BT/Engine%20Bay/39196_1508722233924_1110365021_1465500_8112068_n.j pg

PS thanks James lol

Jamest5r
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 20:44
Told you :) anyway where's the pics of RT's flash 3 way system? stop slacking on your duties man.

p fandango
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 20:49
Told you :) anyway where's the pics of RT's flash 3 way system? stop slacking on your duties man.
i hadn't actually got that pic any more, still missing the irreplaceable memory stick. So i google'd it lol

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/500bhpvolvo/The%20Peril/100_3796.jpg

MWT5
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 20:49
Many do, i keep the black box and run the pipe direct to the catch tank, others just vent straight to air.

Fandango will be along in a sec to post the pics of an alternative system:)

Also RT mechanics designed a different system as well, im sure the pic whore will post you a pic :)

Cheers James mines on an off road race car similar to Paul hassells so can't vent it to air rules LOL, but for ease I ll retain the black box and pipe straight to the catch tank then.

Thanks Duane for the pic is there a reason why you removed the box.

p fandango
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 20:52
Thanks Duane for the pic is there a reason why you removed the box.
no problem sir, it unbolted so it got binned. I tend to do things just because i want to then think of a reason afterwards lol

JT
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 21:00
you're gonna have to explain all this properly at Oulton!
for some reason, this goes over my head?? lol

MWT5
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 21:01
no problem sir, it unbolted so it got binned. I tend to do things just because i want to then think of a reason afterwards lol

Before you binned it did you take it apart cause if there's only a wire gauze in it I might bin mine off.
Would love the aeroquip and braided hoses but it looks pricey and wound only get covered in mud lol

p fandango
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 21:01
you're gonna have to explain all this properly at Oulton!
for some reason, this goes over my head?? lol
what makes you think i know what i'm doing lol

p fandango
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 21:03
Before you binned it did you take it apart cause if there's only a wire gauze in it I might bin mine off.
Would love the aeroquip and braided hoses but it looks pricey and wound only get covered in mud lol
i think its still in the corner of the garage actually, been tempted to cut it open but never got round to it. Pics tomorrow :wink:

JT
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 21:08
what makes you think i know what i'm doing lol

lol!!

I cut mine open, naff all in there???
or did i cut the wrong bit?? :doh:

Jamest5r
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 21:35
i think its still in the corner of the garage actually, been tempted to cut it open but never got round to it. Pics tomorrow :wink:

If you can't find it ive got about 5 lying around you can take your grinder too :)

MWT5
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 21:47
Think I will bin it then space is at a premium already struggling to fit the intercooler in. Is a 740 intercooler any smaller than an 850?

p fandango
Wednesday 22nd June 2011, 07:49
Think I will bin it then space is at a premium already struggling to fit the intercooler in. Is a 740 intercooler any smaller than an 850?
apparently the 740 intercooler is 29" x 17"