PDA

View Full Version : Fathers day present: Now need a new key :(

pyrotechnictigger
Sunday 19th June 2011, 11:13
My s60's key doesn't have a key ring as it wore through before I bought it. Mrs PTT bought a lovely keyfob with a picture of Isabelle in it for today. So, I dismantled the key, found what I thought to be a solid bit and promptly drilled through the coding system aerial....... You can see it nicely severed in the hole. Obviously, it now won't start the car. So I have the alarm bit and the key but need to replace the coding bit in the key. Any thoughts that don't involve main stealers?

Cheers,

Ian

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 19th June 2011, 11:22
Have you tried bunging some solder in the hole to try and bridge the aerial? It can't make it any worse. Should cover you until you can get a new key if it works.

What type key is it? is it the flip key type?

Can you swap the internals to a new "blank" key?

pyrotechnictigger
Sunday 19th June 2011, 11:45
The aerial is moulded in, can't repair without cutting it open. It's a flip key yes. Seems like a centre conductor and shield so can't solder it without cutting it open.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 19th June 2011, 11:47
One on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140563243039&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

pyrotechnictigger
Sunday 19th June 2011, 12:05
Good plan sir!

pyrotechnictigger
Monday 20th June 2011, 12:16
Update:

If you're going to knacker your own key, make sure you don't do it on a Volvo.

"Can't do Volvos mate, my machine won't touch them" Is a phrase I have heard about 20 times this morning.

£260 at dealers and I have to get the car there.......

pyrotechnictigger
Monday 20th June 2011, 12:41
OK, found a guy who says he can do it. Fingers crossed.....

pyrotechnictigger
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 22:12
Unless the garage is linked to the Volvo system, you're ££££ed. Off to the dealers layer this week. Fortunately, I talked them into just replacing the front of the key, not the whole thing. £120 not £280. Cheap then......