PDA

View Full Version : Boosting problems

Matt-850-T5
Saturday 18th June 2011, 12:45
Driving along and when it goes into boost around 4000RPM it boost only a tiny bit then splutters,coughs ,"kangeroo'ing" and holds back from boosting,struggling to go over 4000rpm
I know the turbo seals are going because theres only a small amount of blue smoke from start up but i dont think seals have gone already.

I got in it this morning and was doing the same as last night as described.
I popped into town for 15 mins came back and the car is boosting normally now ?!

Any ideas to what this problem is would be muchly appreciated :)

Many thanks
Matt.

LiamT4
Saturday 18th June 2011, 13:39
Driving along and when it goes into boost around 4000RPM it boost only a tiny bit then splutters,coughs ,"kangeroo'ing" and holds back from boosting,struggling to go over 4000rpm
I know the turbo seals are going because theres only a small amount of blue smoke from start up but i dont think seals have gone already.

I got in it this morning and was doing the same as last night as described.
I popped into town for 15 mins came back and the car is boosting normally now ?!

Any ideas to what this problem is would be muchly appreciated :)

Many thanks
Matt.

Theres been quite a few threads about similar problems lately and unfortunatly theres quite a few reasons for these issues.
Easy part is getting any codes read and checking all boost pipes and hoses, but it could be anything from a dodgy lambda (although there should be a warning light on for this) to maf sensor, bcs, actuator, etc.

One thing i will say is that the car should start boosting way before 4k, 2.5k-3.5k is usual, depending on which turbo you have.

Matt-850-T5
Saturday 18th June 2011, 13:54
I do have a warning light come on now and again.

And sorry mistyped.. boosts not properly though to 4000rpm and struggles to go over that and then starts coughing etcc.

LiamT4
Saturday 18th June 2011, 14:10
I do have a warning light come on now and again.

And sorry mistyped.. boosts not properly though to 4000rpm and struggles to go over that and then starts coughing etcc.

The car should have a fault code stored then.

Just so you know how many things can cause these problems, i had a similar prob once and it turned out to be an elbow pipe on the front of the engine, very cheap and simple fix.
My friend had a very similar problem (under full throttle the car would get to about 4k and the car would start to jerk as the power backed off and on again) and it was a lambda sensor.
Someone on here had a problem with boosting and turned out to be a problem with his cat.
Dodgy maf sensors can have a few different symptons.

Get the codes read as your starting point. With a bit of luck it maybe simple.

cherry1809
Saturday 18th June 2011, 14:49
Could also be a HT lead breaking down.

Matt-850-T5
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 20:51
Problem now sorted. Was a few pipes on the wrong way and blanked off with a nail stuck in the pipe :O
Also noticed boost pipes were badly perished so replaced them with washer tubing which is all i had :( Any ideas where i can get proper boost piping from?
Goes like a T5 should now :)

Many thanks for all your help people it is muchly appreciated.

p fandango
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 20:56
your better off using internally braided fuel hose for the small vac/boost pipes

si850r
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 22:09
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4mm-OVERBRAID-OVERBRAIDED-FUEL-PETROL-OIL-PIPE-HOSE-/310140839297?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4835d5a581#ht_668wt_700

This is what i replaced mine with mate ...It works a treat....Better than silicone hose in my opinion ( not that thats worth much really)

LiamT4
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 22:51
Its good when its turns out to be something simple.