PDA

View Full Version : Help please .

wacky racer
Tuesday 14th June 2011, 20:16
Hi all.
I have a 97 S70 T5 Manual.
On Sunday while at a friends house i had a problem starting it.
I unlocked it with the remote (volvo alarm ,3 button type) tried to start it.
It cranked over fine but would not start. Not even trying to, like no spark or fuel.
I locked the car with the remote,and then unlocked it. Started first time.
Drove home and put it in the garage.
Today i went to start the car and would not start.
Tried unlocking and locking but still not starting.
Discontected the battery for an hour and tried, still nothing.
When i turn on the ignition i can hear the fuel pump, so that seems ok.
Could it be the imobilizer?
Any help/ideas would be great.
Thanks.

wacky racer
Tuesday 14th June 2011, 21:10
Just been and checked all the fuses including the imobilizer one, still no good.
Checked the ECU under the bonnet, connections seem clean and no corrosion.

t5 stealth
Tuesday 14th June 2011, 23:28
possible ignition module or possible coil,
maybe a code reader would point you in the right direction,
if you can hear the pump buzz for a few secs when you turn ign on then that rules out the fuel pump relay,and the possibility of no fuel,
the next step would be to see if it has a spark at the plug leads,

PHIL V70R
Tuesday 14th June 2011, 23:55
my alarm went down on the R had it 2 the dealers they replaced the ignition and alarm and new fob...they told me some thing about a coil or wire thats some thing 2 do with the alarm.. ignition and fob if its damaged wont let the car start..sorted mine and alls fine now..mate..

AndysR
Wednesday 15th June 2011, 00:06
Could be fuel injector relay, sits on top of the rad. Or maybe camshaft position sensor they can give similar faults.

wacky racer
Wednesday 15th June 2011, 20:34
Could be fuel injector relay, sits on top of the rad. Or maybe camshaft position sensor they can give similar faults.

Looked for relay. Only one i found on top of the rad was for the cooling fans.

wacky racer
Wednesday 15th June 2011, 20:35
Just checked and there is no spark.
Hope to have someone come and read the codes in the next couple of days.

Blackdog
Wednesday 15th June 2011, 22:54
Sounds like my old favourite. Ignition ring antenna. Were on the third in three years on our '99 V70 diesel. Will crank until the cows come home but not fire. It controls the immobiliser. Try cranking then taking the key out. Turn it over and try again. You never know....

PHIL V70R
Thursday 16th June 2011, 08:53
Sounds like my old favourite. Ignition ring antenna. Were on the third in three years on our '99 V70 diesel. Will crank until the cows come home but not fire. It controls the immobiliser. Try cranking then taking the key out. Turn it over and try again. You never know....

thats the one lol..

Matt-850-T5
Saturday 18th June 2011, 13:35
Take out the immboliser fuse and then try starting it,on some volvos they can start without the fuse in it,That will disarm the immob :)

wacky racer
Saturday 18th June 2011, 18:51
Thanks for help so far guys.
Does the volvo immobiliser not cut out the starter motor too when armed?

Setzer
Sunday 19th June 2011, 00:42
Dunno if this will help but my car did exactly the same thing.

I checked the immobiliser,changed the coils changed the crank sensor then the cam sensor thought that cured it and then it started playing up again.

Turned out to be a broken wire in the cars looming going to the connector on the cam sensor.

Only found this by trial and error and accidentally moving said wiring causing the car to cut out again.

PHIL V70R
Sunday 19th June 2011, 14:09
Thanks for help so far guys.
Does the volvo immobiliser not cut out the starter motor too when armed?
:flying: not sure on that with the standed volvo one..might cut the coil tho will ask a mate of mine and get back 2 u on that one

wacky racer
Sunday 19th June 2011, 14:12
Cant help thinking ive done something silly.
On the morning of the problem first appeared, i changed the coolant expansion tank for a new one.
Just undid the 2 hoses and the coolant level senser in the bottom of the expansion tank.
Car did start after this was done but broke down later that day.
Could i have disturbed a senser, coolant temp? Would this cause a not start?

PHIL V70R
Sunday 19th June 2011, 16:14
Cant help thinking ive done something silly.
On the morning of the problem first appeared, i changed the coolant expansion tank for a new one.
Just undid the 2 hoses and the coolant level senser in the bottom of the expansion tank.
Car did start after this was done but broke down later that day.
Could i have disturbed a senser, coolant temp? Would this cause a not start?
dont think so...what about temp senser mine went and that shut the car down???:wiggle:

wacky racer
Sunday 19th June 2011, 18:20
dont think so...what about temp senser mine went and that shut the car down???:wiggle:

Thats what i mean. The plug, i think is on top of the powerstreering pump.
I did loose quite alot of coolant from the hose around that area when i changed the expansion tank.
Maybe got into the plug?
Going to go now and pull it apart and have a look.

wacky racer
Sunday 19th June 2011, 19:10
Just went and had a look at the temp sensor connections, gave them a spray and plugged back in.
Still no joy.

So , story so far. Car had new HT Leads, Distrib cap,Spark plugs and rotor arm 2 months ago. All still ok.
Last week had new coolant expansion tank.

Car deff has fuel, pushed in the valve on the fuel rail and petrol floods out, and you can hear pump when you turn on ignition.
No Spark at leads.

Hope to get codes read tomorrow night.
Will let you know how i get on.

wacky racer
Sunday 19th June 2011, 19:12
Take out the immboliser fuse and then try starting it,on some volvos they can start without the fuse in it,That will disarm the immob :)

Tried but still no go. Thanks anyway.

wacky racer
Sunday 19th June 2011, 19:14
Anyone got a pic of where the crankshaft sensor is had a look but cant find it. Probably burried under a hose somewhere.

MWT5
Monday 20th June 2011, 16:14
Anyone got a pic of where the crankshaft sensor is had a look but cant find it. Probably burried under a hose somewhere.

Think it is located on the top of the bell housing under the dizzy,cam sensor, throttle position sensor.

mightywolf
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 08:59

I agree. mine had the exact same problem and I didn't listen :( Messed about for adges trying to find the problem. Changed the ring antenna in 2 minutes (literally) and its started first time every time since.
They ain't expensive brand new but i got a second hand one. Could save you lot of messing about for the sake of a few quid :)

Blackdog
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 16:11
A Vovlo dealer told me to try the "turn the key upside down" trick.

Helped for a while but was the getting more and more frequent on the non starting even with turning the key over.

The antenna reads the chip in the key and disarms the imobiliser.

New they are circa £30.00 and providing you have a torx set the hardest part of the change is getting the steering columb covers off.

Enjoy.

wacky racer
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 21:35
A Vovlo dealer told me to try the "turn the key upside down" trick.

Helped for a while but was the getting more and more frequent on the non starting even with turning the key over.

The antenna reads the chip in the key and disarms the imobiliser.

New they are circa £30.00 and providing you have a torx set the hardest part of the change is getting the steering columb covers off.

Enjoy.

Yeah i tried the turning the key over trick but it didnt work.
Got a couple of sensors to try tomorrow night (all stripped out waiting)
Been let down by the company supplying the code reader !!
If still no go i'll go for the imobiliser antena.
10 days until i go on holiday in the car, may have to pay for a hire car is still no go.
Anyone know where i can buy the imobiliser antena online?
Cant find one anywhere.

wacky racer
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 21:42
Another question, if you change the antena do you have to have any reprograming or software?

Blackdog
Tuesday 21st June 2011, 23:30
No programming required just a straight swop on the antena.

Part number is 9442961.

Main dealers should be able to supply next day if they do not have in stock.

My local dealer will either deliver to our house (20 miles from them) or put in the post.

Hope you get it sorted mate and don't have to hire a car.

Volvo's can be expensive to rent..... LOL

wacky racer
Thursday 23rd June 2011, 19:06
Hi all. Getting desperate now !!!!!!!
So i bit the bullet yesterday and replaced the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft sensor.
Now have a spark., but still no start.
It was trying to start up so thought it was just flooded.
Took the pugs out tonight and they were bone dry!!!.
I can hear the pump at the back for a couple of seconds when i turn on the ignition.
I pushed the valve on the end of the fuel rail and not as much fuel comes out as i earlier thought. Only a little spurt for a split second, and then nothing. Is this normal?.
Still not been able to get the codes read.
Any more ideas as i go on holiday next week and i need a car as my wife is disabled.
H E L P !!!!!!!!

wacky racer
Thursday 23rd June 2011, 23:16
Do you think it could be the fuel pump.
The pump has been noisy for a while when engine running.
Think i read somewhere that a weak/noisy main pump can put extra strain on the pre pump in the tank and the pre pump fails? Any ideas?
The pump runs when i turn on the ignition for a couple of seconds and the fuel pump relay is ok.
Faulty pump in the tank.
How can i test.
If not i may just stick a match in the tank !!!!!
REALLY HAD ENOUGH NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wacky racer
Friday 24th June 2011, 18:37
Will have a look at the alarm antena ring an get a new one.

mightywolf
Saturday 25th June 2011, 11:26
As far as I know if the ring antenna has gone it won't pump fuel through to the injectors or spark because its staying immobilised.
Seriously I had this same problem and wish i had listened in the first place for the sake of a 2 min job. I was positive it wasn't the ring, but it was, and either way its cheap enough to do and its worth a shot.
I'd changed my plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, checked fuel pump, fuel filter etc etc.
And it turned out to be none of em :(
And if you have to start eliminating stuff always start with the cheapest. And ring antennas are cheaper than fuel pumps! :)

wacky racer
Saturday 25th June 2011, 12:10
As far as I know if the ring antenna has gone it won't pump fuel through to the injectors or spark because its staying immobilised.
Seriously I had this same problem and wish i had listened in the first place for the sake of a 2 min job. I was positive it wasn't the ring, but it was, and either way its cheap enough to do and its worth a shot.
I'd changed my plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, checked fuel pump, fuel filter etc etc.
And it turned out to be none of em :(
And if you have to start eliminating stuff always start with the cheapest. And ring antennas are cheaper than fuel pumps! :)

Thanks for your help.
Ordered the ring today, collect it Monday.
Fingers crossed it starts on Monday or i will be on the net to hire a car for my holiday !

wacky racer
Monday 27th June 2011, 20:43
Hi all. Car now fixed and ready for holiday. Thanks to everyone for their help.
So it had a new camshaft sensor and a new crankshaft sensor. (replaced both at the same time as i was not going to box it all up and then strip it again when that didnt work to fit the other sensor)
Also had a new immobilizer anntena ring, although im not sure this was faulty after a school boy error (least said about that the better)

Blackdog
Monday 27th June 2011, 22:22
Come on. Time to fess up. What's the school boy error. Could save us all time and money.....

PHIL V70R
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 10:44
come on do tell....

wacky racer
Tuesday 28th June 2011, 22:12
OK, OK. Well...........between the time when the sensors were fitted and the time when i tried to start it up, i looked at the fuse box and the immobilizer fuse.
Somehow the fuse got left on the inner wing.
Now my excuse is that i was working in a single garage by torch light............
So after the faulty sensor was fitted the car was trying to start but had the fuse sitting on the wing!
By now the immobilizer antena had been ordered so fitted that.......oh and the fuse, and hey presto............one running motor!!!
Oh well at least the antena is new. LOL.
Just dont tell the wife!! she had a 2 1/2 hour trip TWICE to get the antena part. Shhhhhhhhh.

PHIL V70R
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 10:26
lmfao....we all do it mate..

jct5r
Wednesday 29th June 2011, 19:19
Classic ! Done many a daft thing along those lines.......lol

wacky racer
Thursday 14th July 2011, 13:32
Hi all.
Well after a manic week before we went on hoilday, fixing the S70
Im pleased to say all went well. Did over 800 miles while on holiday in the welsh mountains and all ok.
Thanks for all the help.

mightywolf
Thursday 14th July 2011, 16:01
Good stuff! Worst I did was when I was doing my pcv for the first time. Can't remember what I left off now, but i left something off and didn't realise till it was all put back together. Had to strip it all down again :)

M-R-P
Thursday 14th July 2011, 17:24
My classic daft move was forgetting to tighten the jubilee clip on the intercooler hose after freeing-off the wastegate. Took it for a run up the road, put my foot down and it went gggrrrroooooaaaarrrr -pffffsssssst! thinking I had fixed it so well that it now had an audible BOV noise, I was quite chuffed - for about 2 seconds when the car nearly stalled, I lost most of the power steering and I barely made it home. Turned - out the lack of a jubilee clip caused the Intercooler pipe to fly off (hence the pfffssssst noise) and get involved, spectacularly, with the aux belt. Doh!