PDA

View Full Version : iMIV Ipod adaptor

TheT6Kid
Friday 10th June 2011, 13:40
Ordered one of these lunchtime, 8th June and its arrived today 10th June, from Calgary Canada. Thats some service!
Gonna fit it tomorrow so will let you know how it goes...
Since I had my 99' S80 T6 (CD RTi - reduced functionality), i always wanted one of these, i had an 850 T5 inbetween but now in an 05' S60 D5.

I hope this adaptor is everything I want (and have built it up) to be.

If anyone is intereseted I will post some pics and explain its functions (for those who aren't aware).

I am actually really looking forward to fitting it, I think i am a nerd, techno-geek or whatever label you care to put on me!

LeeT5
Thursday 23rd June 2011, 08:18
Could you post a photo of the unit, let us know how much it cost you (delivered) and list its functions please?
I am very interested in this unit as i want to use my iPhone in the car.

TheT6Kid
Thursday 23rd June 2011, 18:39
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg40/davescott699/iMIV.jpg
This is the unit in situe in my S60.

Ok it does, Ipod/iPhone music in two modes basically:
simple mode - select album or playlist from iPod / iPhone then control tracks from either Head Unit or steering wheel buttons

advanced mode allows you to select playlist from head unit / steering wheel buttons then same for tracks - Plus scrolls track info on head unit, song title / artist / playlist. All control is via headunit and steering wheel buttons.

For video you rotate 'source' knob on HU-850 and select the Television input, created by the iMIV device, On your Iphone you can then play your music videos, movies TV shows, photo slide show, youtube, stream TV etc onto your RTi screen, picture quality is excellent as is sound.

As a bonus the device also creates a reverse camera input that is automatically selected when reverse is engaged, camera is an option.

It also creates a second Television input for which you can use anything as a source so long as you can connect it to the three phono type connections, yellow for video, red and white for stereo audio - this could be a DVD player, freeview, front facing camera, rear seat baby camera etc etc.

It also charges, ipod / iphone and is now a genuine 'made for ipod' device with the proper apple video authentication chip in it.

I will post a couple of pics from my car when i dig out my camera ( i usually use my iphone for pics)

Pricing is £192 inc extremely quick international shipping, however UKBA (customs) got hold of mine and promptly sent me a bill for £41 for duty and VAT. making it £233, not sure how this compares with an integrated Volvo one, however i doubt the Volvo ipod kit has as much functionality.
Hope this helps. I will post up a couple more pics in due course.

TheT6Kid
Thursday 23rd June 2011, 18:59
Iphone video - Eric Prydz for your viewing pleasure!
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg40/davescott699/IphoneVideo.jpg

Simple mode - select Ipod on Head unit - automatically starts playing where you last left it - steering wheel buttons or head unit buttons for track control.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg40/davescott699/Simplemode.jpg

Advanced mode - Head unit to select playlist, head unit and steering wheels buttons for track selection, Song title / artist or play list title scrolls on head unit.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg40/davescott699/Advancedmode.jpg

spencem875
Sunday 28th August 2011, 11:43
I was going to order 1 from Holland but didnt bother, you have now convinced me to do so :)

TheT6Kid
Monday 29th August 2011, 07:21
I was going to order 1 from Holland but didnt bother, you have now convinced me to do so :)

A few months in and I can confirm its been faultless.
I'm very pleased with my purchase. The guys at Sensolutions where i ordered mine (Canada) were extremely helpful and aftersales service (I had a couple of questions) was again second to none. Next day for answers which considering the time difference was impressive. If you have RTi you get so many features over and above a standard ipod kit. Well worth the investment.
Still to fit a reverse camera, not sure which to go for as I don't really want to spoil back end of car, seen some built into a number plate surround, which might be the way to go.

spencem875
Monday 29th August 2011, 08:17
I dont have inbuilt sat nav, but mine is melbus prepped. Ill be ordering tomorrow :)

LeeT5
Friday 2nd September 2011, 00:15
Thanks for the photos. I have RTI and SAT NAV but no TV. Will my car be Melbus preped? Also, will i need to order the same kit as you did? Which model IMV did you get?

Cheers.

spencem875
Friday 2nd September 2011, 07:36
The way to check for melbus cable is too look in the boot, on my S60 it was on the left side behind a panel iirc.

I ordered this one:

http://www.imiv.ca/cms/products/product-list/imiv-le-packages/imiv-le-melbus-prepped-package/

Its on its way :) fed ex say its in Memphis atm.

TheT6Kid
Friday 2nd September 2011, 07:59
Thanks for the photos. I have RTI and SAT NAV but no TV. Will my car be Melbus preped? Also, will i need to order the same kit as you did? Which model IMV did you get?

Cheers.

The TV is just an add on to the RTi unit. If you have RTi the MELBUS cable is definitely installed. (as the RTi uses it) if you go onto the website and use the configuration tool where you input car details, radio model etc it will tell you what is suitable.

I chose the IMIV Classic (MFi - is Made for IPod) this means it has been tested and endorsed by Apple as compatible.
Sounds like you will need the IMIV Classic DVD RTi package.
Everything you need comes in the box. One thing to note if you ever intend to fit a reverse camera (this is an option) buy the connector pack at same time, its a couple of quid, but postage is expensive so you might as well combine it. I bought the connector pack, not the camera, as you can chose a camera at a later date and there is lots of choice on fleabay etc. The connector is in the accessories section on the website. Only thing you need to be certain of is that your car is the DVD based RTi, not 100% but believe 2002/2003 was start of DVD system. I had an 1999 S80 which had a CD based RTi, this had a CD Changer in boot for map discs, DVD RTi systems are a single drive, like in my picture above. Hope this helps.
They are a doodle to fit, I'd be more than willing to help any member out, either by phone or if your close enough, in person. Please don't hesitate to ask.
I know I sound like I'm on commission (I'm not BTW) but every once in a while you come across a product that does everything you want it to and has been designed by an enthusiast. When it is supplied by the same company that actually wants to help you out and is proud of it's product it makes for a good experience.

LeeT5
Friday 2nd September 2011, 20:57
Cool! Thanks very much for your help. My car is infact classed as a 2004 car and is most definately DVD RTI. I will go on the website and order one inc the cable for the rear camera, which i am going to fit.
I will keep you posted. :B_thumb:

LeeT5
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 00:23
Ok. I just purchased the following:

-iMIV Classic - DVD RTI Package.
-iMIV Classic MFi.
-iMIV iPod Dock Cable - 350cm.
-Media Cable - Melbus Second in Chain Cable.
-VOLVO - RTI Power and Video Cable.
-MDC-TV Firmware MFi.
-Reversing Camera Connector, for iMIV Classic.

Total - $310. or £191 including delivery to UK.

All i gotta do is pay the import duty :mad:

....then i can purchase any PAL or NTSC reversing camera and plug straight in!
This set up will allow me to watch video from iPhone 4 on SAT NAV screen, listen to all my music off my iPhone inc playlist and album list on HU and with the inclusion of a reversing camera.....do the obvious.

Bang Tidy!:B_thumb:

TheT6Kid
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 08:17
Ok. I just purchased the following:

-iMIV Classic - DVD RTI Package.
-iMIV Classic MFi.
-iMIV iPod Dock Cable - 350cm.
-Media Cable - Melbus Second in Chain Cable.
-VOLVO - RTI Power and Video Cable.
-MDC-TV Firmware MFi.
-Reversing Camera Connector, for iMIV Classic.

Total - $310. or £191 including delivery to UK.

All i gotta do is pay the import duty :mad:

....then i can purchase any PAL or NTSC reversing camera and plug straight in!
This set up will allow me to watch video from iPhone 4 on SAT NAV screen, listen to all my music off my iPhone inc playlist and album list on HU and with the inclusion of a reversing camera.....do the obvious.

Bang Tidy!:B_thumb:

That's right mate. One thing to note is the Reverse camera you select must be PAL not NTSC. I have been looking for a while for one which won't spoil the look of the back end of my car. Still undecided whether to fit a flush mounted one that you need to cut in, the best non damage option I have found is one that is incorporated into a number plate surround. I will PM you a link so you can have a look, I am still undecided, I have been reading up on the difference between CMOS and CCD types at the moment.

spencem875
Sunday 4th September 2011, 08:15
Mine is sitting in Fedex Aylesbury and will be delivered Monday. I dont think i have to pay import duty.

TheT6Kid
Sunday 4th September 2011, 08:46
Sorry if this disappointing but mine got delivered without anyone demanding money then about 10 days later I got a bill in post from FedEx for the duty.

LeeT5
Monday 5th September 2011, 20:07

Don't bother!!! Cheaper from the states. (If Holland use Euros?? I think they use Kroner).

spencem875
Monday 5th September 2011, 20:59
Canada :P but yeh its cheaper. Installed it just now, waiting for iphone to backup and then off we go 4 a test :)

spencem875
Tuesday 6th September 2011, 18:28
TheT6kid what holder/bracket have you got for the iphone/ipod?

LeeT5
Sunday 11th September 2011, 01:05
UPS tried to deliver my iMIV adaptor on Thursday but i missed them. They are delivering again on Monday. Pissed off that i gotta pay £41.02 import tax. Trust HMRC to take the excitement out of it!

TheT6Kid
Sunday 11th September 2011, 21:18
TheT6kid what holder/bracket have you got for the iphone/ipod?

It's a Brodit holder, comes in a few different options, mine has a 'pass through' dock connector meaning I connect my dock cable to the holder itself, then I just have to place phone in holder and it's all connected in.
Used them for all my phone kit installs, they're very good.

TheT6Kid
Sunday 11th September 2011, 21:21
UPS tried to deliver my iMIV adaptor on Thursday but i missed them. They are delivering again on Monday. Pissed off that i gotta pay £41.02 import tax. Trust HMRC to take the excitement out of it!

Even with it added onto the price what else could you get for same money? It wouldn't be as good, this is the best IPod/IPhone integration system I have ever used. You won't be disappointed.

spencem875
Sunday 11th September 2011, 21:24
It's a Brodit holder, comes in a few different options, mine has a 'pass through' dock connector meaning I connect my dock cable to the holder itself, then I just have to place phone in holder and it's all connected in.
Used them for all my phone kit installs, they're very good.

How does it fix to the centre console? dont suppose you have a model number?

spencem875
Sunday 11th September 2011, 21:35
No worries worked it out.

TheT6Kid
Sunday 11th September 2011, 22:03
No worries worked it out.

PM'd a link for you anyway.

LeeT5
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 10:45
PM'd a link for you anyway.

Can you PM me a link please. Not sure what one as there are 3.

http://www.brodit.se/holders.html?pn=prod&sm=hd

LeeT5
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 10:54
I am thinking that this one will be ok? My iPhone 4 is in a Lifeproof case which is very thin. Total thickness of phone inc case is only 13.5mm...

http://www.brodit.se/product.html?id=527165&pn=prod

Also i assume you attched the holder to a Brodit Proclip? If so, which one? There are over 30 to select.

spencem875
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 19:30
Depends where you wanna position it.

TheT6Kid
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 22:19
I didn't use a brodit Proclip as I preferred a metal no holes bracket, they seem a little sturdier. Try eBay that's where I got mine.

TheT6Kid
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 22:22
For example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IM8565-Left-LHD-Dash-Mount-Volvo-S60-V70-XC70-2005-/320746555237?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aadfc0765#ht_5744wt_810

TheT6Kid
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 22:27
Can you PM me a link please. Not sure what one as there are 3.

http://www.brodit.se/holders.html?pn=prod&sm=hd

http://www.brodit.se/product.html?id=516165&pn=prod

This is the one I used, my phone is in a skin, you need the 'pass through connector' to use it with the iMiv. Hope this helps.

LeeT5
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 20:15
All installed and working briliantly!! Just need to get the phone holder and mount it on the dash.

One question...What the hell is that black knob lit up blue in the bottom right of the photos?? In front of the gear select lever.

TheT6Kid
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 21:18
It's the control for a Nokia bluetooth carkit.

LeeT5
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 12:32
Ok. I have just purchased the brodit holder with pass through off Amazon (cheapest) fro £37 delivered. I am just not sure How to mount it on the left side of the dash like you have. How does the IM8565 dash mount attach that you have? Does it fix permenant or can it be moved up and down the dash depending on how high you want it?

spencem875
Thursday 29th September 2011, 17:27
Ok. I have just purchased the brodit holder with pass through off Amazon (cheapest) fro £37 delivered. I am just not sure How to mount it on the left side of the dash like you have. How does the IM8565 dash mount attach that you have? Does it fix permenant or can it be moved up and down the dash depending on how high you want it?

Can you link the amazon holder plz

LeeT5
Saturday 1st October 2011, 05:34
Can you link the amazon holder plz

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSL-Brodit-Brodit-Pass-Through-Connector-Countries/dp/B0040JLBNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317771788&sr=8-1

Harvey
Monday 7th May 2012, 18:07
Hi had mine a while now here are a couple of photos of it working.
very nice bit of kit ,very easy to set up as well.
also could some one please tell me how to up load photos not just attach files
cheers. Harvey

TheT6Kid
Tuesday 15th May 2012, 17:21
My iMIV adaptor is going in the 'parts for sale' section just now if anyone is interested.
Also have a Genuine 2012 Navigation DVD for the OEM RTi system.
Check out parts for sale.

ExternalError
Monday 2nd July 2012, 13:01
Just wondering about the iMIV, would this allow me to display the co pilot live sat nav app on my iphone on the rti screen as my rti dvd drive doesnt want to read the disc which from what I have read elsewhere is a common fault with the laser.

What I would like to do is if the iMIV does actually display the sat nav app on my iphone meaning I could the iphone tucked away out of sight in the armrest rether than on display on a mount. Does anyone know if this is posible

Harvey
Monday 2nd July 2012, 17:20
Just wondering about the iMIV, would this allow me to display the co pilot live sat nav app on my iphone on the rti screen as my rti dvd drive doesnt want to read the disc which from what I have read elsewhere is a common fault with the laser.

What I would like to do is if the iMIV does actually display the sat nav app on my iphone meaning I could the iphone tucked away out of sight in the armrest rether than on display on a mount. Does anyone know if this is posible

i know that you can watch video when the car is moving if you change the software settings but dont know if it will show sat nav as its not a video .

TheT6Kid
Monday 2nd July 2012, 18:47
This won't work as your iPod / iPhone decides what to send out as a 'TV out' source, currently limited to Photo sideshows, music videos, video podcast and films.
The navigation being an App would not be displayed as a 'TV out' source. Hope this helps.

ExternalError
Tuesday 3rd July 2012, 00:30
Thanks for this info my iphone is actually jailbroke and using a app called tvout i can specify which apps have access to the tv out functionality so theoretically i should be able to do what i want just wanted to confirm that it is the tv out functionality it uses and not some other output format. Guess the only way to find out for sure is to order my self an imiv and give it a try if all else fails i can just get a iphone holder and use that for the sat nav and still benefit from all the other features of the imiv.

ExternalError
Wednesday 11th July 2012, 00:02
I get my IMIV delivered tomorrow so gonna fit that this weekend to replace the faulty sat nav dvd drive with the sat nav on my iphone on the rti screen instead.

As I said I jailbroke my iphone to install an app called display out from the cydia store to bypass apples selective display output settings which from everything ive read should do exactly what i want. If anyone one else is interested in this i'll keep you all posted and post a video of the final install once its up and running and let you know if it all works out.

ExternalError
Thursday 12th July 2012, 11:23
Ok so IMIV kit roughly installed last night have to tidy the cable feed up but tested to see if the iphone sat nav works through the screen and I'd like to confirm that it does until the point at which you try and drive away then the saftey feature kicks in and switches the tv off, small annoyance but after looking on the IMIV site there is a firmware update that allows you to bypass this saftey feature so after flashing the IMIV device i now have a working sat nav running through my screen from my iphone and also have teh ability to play videos on the move for the passengers to watch.

V70 Graham
Thursday 12th July 2012, 11:29
Well done on getting that working, pics and or video would be good.

ExternalError
Thursday 12th July 2012, 12:34
they will follow soon will be providing a full write up which i'll do this weekend with suggested extra apps from cydia you can buy to improve the setup.

Harvey
Thursday 12th July 2012, 21:43
Ok so IMIV kit roughly installed last night have to tidy the cable feed up but tested to see if the iphone sat nav works through the screen and I'd like to confirm that it does until the point at which you try and drive away then the saftey feature kicks in and switches the tv off, small annoyance but after looking on the IMIV site there is a firmware update that allows you to bypass this saftey feature so after flashing the IMIV device i now have a working sat nav running through my screen from my iphone and also have teh ability to play videos on the move for the passengers to watch.

Thats nice to know that you got it to work.

ExternalError
Saturday 14th July 2012, 18:23
Ok quick write up

Having Installed the IMIV by disconnecting the tv tuner and plugged the IMIV cables into the ports the tv tuner was plugged into on the volvo rti dvd drive in the boot.

Next if your volvo sat nav is broke and you get the disc read error message on your screen remove the disc from the dvd drive.
If your volvo sat nav is working then just turn it off using the steering wheel controls.

next you need to flash the IMIV firmware with the VWIM firmware patch.

Download the firmware audio file from imiv.ca and put it on your iphone/ipod
Next if you have a HU-803 turn the 1-20 / disc dial 10 clicks counter clockwise then press the >>| button. (other head units will need to see formware flashing for your headunit on imiv.ca)
You should get a CD ERROR message display on the Head Unit
play the firmware audio file this will unlock Video in motion.

In order to display the satnav and other apps on the rti screen jail brake your iphone using absinthe and pay for and install an app from the cydia store called DisplayOut

Then just plug your phone into the IMIV cable and turn the source to TV and channel 1.
You should now have the ability to display the iphone sat nav or any other app while you drive.

another good thing to get from the cydia store is SbRotator 5 this allows you to lock the rotation of the screen on the iphone no matter its orientation.

The only downside I have found is if I want to display the iphone sat nav while driving i can not use the >>| and <<| to skip tracks as these change the TV channel instead but i can have music playing i just have to use the skip buttons on iphone to skip tracks.

If i don't have the video on the screen i can use the skip track buttons with the source selected as cd changer and this controls the iphones skip track features.

Not ideal but considering volvo quoted me £695 for a new dvd unit to fix my sat nav ive managed to fix it for a total of

£180.00 IMIV classic
£ 1.25 DisplayOut app off Cydia store
£ 1.25 SbRotator 5 app off Cydia store

I'll post some pics soon

Harvey
Thursday 24th October 2013, 00:20
Just found iMIV will 90% work with the iPhone 5.

http://www.imiv.ca/cms/about-us/news/news-story/iphone-5-update/

LeeT5
Tuesday 17th December 2013, 22:47
Good. Better than not compatible!

Dave Tuting
Thursday 28th April 2016, 11:42
As my 2006 XC70 doesn't have the satnav or DVD player, just the built in phone, would this IMIV fit my car and is it just for iPhone/Pods?

LeeT5
Thursday 28th April 2016, 11:55
As my 2006 XC70 doesn't have the satnav or DVD player, just the built in phone, would this IMIV fit my car and is it just for iPhone/Pods?

You don't need the Sat nav/DVD player, it's just a more convenient way to fit the iMIV.
You can use other phones but you'll need to check connectivity with VolvoTech.eu

You'll need to plug the iMIV into your cars diagnostics port under the drivers dash to connect to the car. Meaning, every time you need diagnostics carried out, the iMIV will need to be unplugged.