PDA

View Full Version : Steering Track Rod MK1 C70

red_hot_volvo
Thursday 9th June 2011, 17:35
Hi folks, doesn't time fly! It's nearly MOT time for my red rocket and the last time it was done, there was a smidgeon of play noted in the nearside Track rod (not the end, the track rod itself) and whilst I hope it hasn't worsened as the car has only done about 3000 miles since the last MOT, there is every chance that it has, so I was wondering about the procedure as I've never done this job before, I remember my MOT guy saying something about having to release a pressed in locking bit (chapped in bit to use his words, 'chap' in Scottish means to knock or hammer) before it can be released and to use stilsons or a pipe wrench to remove the track rod, but that's about as far as it goes, haven't looked at it properly as you'd have to slice off the boot, it makes it harder to plan a job when you don't know what to expect, so I was wondering if any of you had done this job before and if you've any heads up info for me? I know about taking the whole thing off as one with the ball joint end still screwed in so you can set the tracking up again precisely the same, I'm more interested in how to release it from the rack before I get up to my elbows in black grease and swearing at it like a madman!