PDA

View Full Version : If a head gasket has failed: repair or replace engine?

Sean575
Monday 6th June 2011, 23:17
Won't know if the head has actually has gone or not for another couple of days when it is looked at.

Just wondered if it is generally risky to have a head gasket replaced or if given the cost of this it is better to replace the engine if one in good working order has been found? Opinions Please...
Anyone know what a reputable mechanic should charge between for a Manual850 T5-R engine replacement?

t5 stealth
Monday 6th June 2011, 23:23
if my head gasket failed i would replace/repair it.........
same as what other people do on other makes of car....
i dont understand why people make such a big thing about head gaskets on volvos,.........
its no diffrent than any other car.........
just a bit more expensive than some,but its a bigger engine .
as usual quality cost more,isnt that why people buy a volvo ?

AndysR
Monday 6th June 2011, 23:24
Depends how bad the damage is, if it's just the gasket that's failed then it can be replaced without having to renew the whole engine. But if the engines tired, done alot of miles or has been overheated to the extreme of causing damage then it will be far cheaper and easier to source a replacement good engine. Best to wait and see what the verdict is in a couple of days before you go any further..

merc85
Monday 6th June 2011, 23:26
If it hasn't been gone for ages, i would get the Head Gasket Done, pressure check the head and get it skimed, use a good quality Head Gasket set, replace the Water pump and Re new the timing Belt whilst there.

If it's Gone big time, perhaps a new engine would be better, there may be alot of sludge sitting in pipe work, Block, this detroy's rubber and cloggs matrix's etc.

Only my view because you asked.

Sean575
Monday 6th June 2011, 23:53
Great everyone, cheers.

I'm not shy to spend the money if I need to and yes, a 20v 5cylinder turbo is a big engine.

I'd buy a new engine anyway if they still were available. One ought to be in a glass case in the Louvre for all to worship, even if a few die now and then because someone has hurt them in most cases)!

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 08:04
In my Imp days, you would get an engine, strip it down completely and very methodically, and then completely clean everything, and reassemble with new bearing caps, piston rings/reaming and so on where needed - along with porting the inlets and matching the manifolds and so on. We even used a block of granite and grinding compound to face the block and head! Wasn't rocket science, and I have often thought about doing this with one of our engines. I think that a well seasoned engine is more reliable and powerful than an absolutely tight new one (I feel a sexist analogy coming on there :p).

The beauty of the T5 engine is that it is so well designed that it fails softly - that is, it does not go bang, it just slowly fades. So if yours works ok, stick with it.