PDA

View Full Version : Tired damper??

silverswedemachine
Sunday 5th June 2011, 20:39
Having a little issue with the rear end, i am thinking one of the rear dampers is tired but anyway, the back passenger wheel seems to be 'pattering' when cruising, on bumpy roads it seems fine, holds the road well, soaks up the bumps with out wanting bounce over a hedge and is reasonably smooth at *cough* speeds, it jus when you are on flat(ish) roads between 30-50 it is like the tyre has 15 million bar in it and just bounces off every thing... Personally i would have thought it would have trouble with the bumpy stuff, it is better with passengers, just hope its not axle rubber trouble (4 times fast, lol)...

cheers

Flatout Phil
Sunday 5th June 2011, 20:48
Check that the rear anti roll bar has not sheared where it joins to the metal plate - mine let go with an almighty twang one day, although it took a few days to spot it. That said, a tired Nivo could be to blame. Bottom line is, get under there and check it out.

silverswedemachine
Sunday 5th June 2011, 20:53
Did an axle swap back in january-february, i converted it to normal dampers, they were second hand though, and yes i forgot to mention the strut tops are fine, i took the pasenger one off friday and its still brand new, also the damper did return to full length with the top out of the way...

I will get under to check the roll bar...

t5_monkey
Sunday 5th June 2011, 20:53
When you make a very quick steering movement, you'll feel a delayed 'slop' over to one side at the rear on the tired side.

The other side will be a more instantaneous response to the steering imput if the damper is better. Also... mid corner adjustability will be better on the good side.

I thought for a long time mine felt funny on one side, turned out to be a shot damper when I upgraded to the Bilsteins.

Flatout Phil
Sunday 5th June 2011, 20:58
I am keen to replace the rear Nivo on mine - probably with another pair (yes, it will be PAINFULLY expensive) but with 99k on them and 15 years, getting rather tired. Don't like the idea of de Nivoing - although it would almost certainly be cheaper t re-spring and shock. Opinions welcomed.

silverswedemachine
Sunday 5th June 2011, 21:01
No mate, i mite be used to it being sloppy but i have a nice right bend local to me, it has a small bump/step where two bits of tarmac meet, and i can go round it at 70 (pretty much the cars limit), it doesnt bother it at all... All in the car seems fairly consistant, mite be though...

Phil, my nivomats just started leaking days before i planned to my axle swap, although mine had 156 thou on them...