PDA

View Full Version : ATF Leak

gezR
Monday 1st August 2005, 20:40
As well as my problems with the engine:

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3565

I was having a look round underneath, and it apears that I also have an ATF leak:

http://ew850.fotopic.net/p18275171.html

http://ew850.fotopic.net/p18275170.html

Excuse the numpty questions as I've never had an Auto before, so I am assuming that this is part of the gearbox? Do you reckon it would be safe to drive like this (ie to the nearest garage). It's definatley AT fluid though, that I'm sure of. Are AT problems usually big bills? If I can get it fixed cheaply I think once I have the V5 it will be for sale which is a shame.

Gez :-(

Tomcat
Monday 1st August 2005, 21:44
The box was reconed fairly recently so it cant be anything too serious. How bad is the leak?.

gezR
Monday 1st August 2005, 22:44
I dunno, the entire area on the photo is covered with a film of the stuff. Its parked over gravel so its hard to tell if much is dripping out, I'll have to put some cardboard down to see I think.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 2nd August 2005, 01:05
I had a problem with this junction 2 or 3 months back and it did used to drip. I thought I had sorted it out - (ask Hamish). I fiddled with the orientation of the pipe into the box and it seemed to stop.
Also - there is an o-ring in there and it might not be deep enough. I suggest that you talk to Volvo and get another ring/and or use some instant gasket. Sorry - I really thought I had that one plugged.

There is a securing bolt 1/2 way up the this pipe onto the block and I gave up trying to get it in, after I serviced the ATF. I had honestly forgotten about it. I couldn't get the holes on the pipe flange & block to line up.
Really sorry!!!

Please be assured it is not a major problem.
The car was sold as seen - with no warranty given or implied - but I am willing to help - as I would any other VF member

gezR
Tuesday 2nd August 2005, 21:03
It seems to be comming from the nut just under the pipe, but its hard to tell, it may just be collecting there. I've cleaned it all up tonight, so we'll see tomorrow if any more is leaking. It doesn't look like a susbstantial leak now I've had a good look at it, but there is fluid all-over, even on the bulk head which is confusing.

At least if it was an existing problem like you said Dave, it has put my mind at rest a little bit as I feared Sundays engine fun had been the cause. When the engine was hunting for revs, the box kept changing gear every few seconds. I thought this may have caused the damage.

Best undo my belt buckle and head for the Volvo main stealer then.

Gez

TangoDeltaSierra3
Tuesday 2nd August 2005, 22:20
It seems to be comming from the nut just under the pipe, but its hard to tell, it may just be collecting there. I've cleaned it all up tonight, so we'll see tomorrow if any more is leaking. It doesn't look like a susbstantial leak now I've had a good look at it, but there is fluid all-over, even on the bulk head which is confusing.

At least if it was an existing problem like you said Dave, it has put my mind at rest a little bit as I feared Sundays engine fun had been the cause. When the engine was hunting for revs, the box kept changing gear every few seconds. I thought this may have caused the damage.

Best undo my belt buckle and head for the Volvo main stealer then.

GezGez i dont know your circumstances mate, but check out the preferred garages bit and ring Pengellys in Nottingham if you can travel, they really are good and a phone call wont hurt, thing is if you go you just have to kinda kill time hanging about as i found last week though, but the dealer will double the price of them i can assure you. I dont know anyone closer i'd trust!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 3rd August 2005, 16:09
The reason it is everywhere (and you have to trust me on this) is it has been blown back during movement - simple as. I had the very same leak and managed to stop it but I think the pipe has moved again (most likely under vibration) and sadly it has started again.

I agree with Craig - I think you'd be better off at an independant? It needs that 2nd bolt putting in and maybe a deeper O ring?

gezR
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 17:31
Well, it's proper ******. The seal around the two halfs of the casing is leaking. I thought there was too much fluid for it to be comming out of the pipe(which is just weeping). At least the engine got a clean bill of health. Next stop Autotrader.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 18:46
Well, it's proper ******. The seal around the two halfs of the casing is leaking. I thought there was too much fluid for it to be comming out of the pipe(which is just weeping). At least the engine got a clean bill of health. Next stop Autotrader.Next time get a manual box m8, so what kind of money are you talking for a fix ?

p fandango
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 19:18
is the box not still under warranty, it hasn't been that long since the recon surely?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 20:18
Part of me says "don't get involved" - but I tell you this - there is nothing wrong with that box. The leak as I said is just from the pipe. I know every inch of that car - I would know if the hematic seal was buggered and it aint.

There is no warranty left on the box - it was 12 months (Oct '06) or 12K and sadly the later has been and gone. Still that box is good for another 150K miles.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 21:38
Part of me says "don't get involved" - but I tell you this - there is nothing wrong with that box. The leak as I said is just from the pipe. I know every inch of that car - I would know if the hematic seal was buggered and it aint.

There is no warranty left on the box - it was 12 months (Oct '06) or 12K and sadly the later has been and gone. Still that box is good for another 150K miles. Who diagnosed the box Gez ? Swillington Autocare ? I dunno what to recommend m8, it's OK us commenting but it's you stuck with the problem though. So i'll shut up!

splatt
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 22:27
That is so obviously the pipe leaking, oil will only travel with gravity and find the shortest/lowest point. it does not run horizontally so the faces are sealing fine I reckon.
Clean it all off. (and I mean really clean it)
Spray the area with talc (yes..talc!!!)
Leave it to leak...you will find your source.
:)

gezR
Tuesday 9th August 2005, 23:02
Who diagnosed the box Gez ? Swillington Autocare ? I dunno what to recommend m8, it's OK us commenting but it's you stuck with the problem though. So i'll shut up!

Yep, Swillington Autocare. They don't do repairs on Auto 'boxes so they've nothing really to gain by advising it has a major problem. Suppose the if I get the front pipe sorted then it will eliminate that source. Second opinions will be sort.

Thanks for the advice Splatt, I will give that a go.

I just want to make it clear that I'm not having a go at anybody. This is nothing personal. I'm not after anything other than peoples opinions, I just want to get the problem sorted as quickly and as cheaply as possible. Thanks to all that have contributed.

Gez