PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious ticking noise

lewmo
Friday 3rd June 2011, 21:20
Right just took the 850 r on a 200 mile trip to see family arrived no probs then decided to go a little further to see the father in law. on route the car made a sort of poppy wooshy sound then it proceeded to make the awful ticking noise. Kind of sounds like the tappets but the noise seems to be coming from the cylinder next to the distributer cap. Obviously stopped straight away checked the oil level all seemed fine no leaks (obvious ones any way) The only thing a thought was a bit odd when it happened was the boost gauge was over 2/3 almost to the end of the gauge. The car is ticking over at 800-900 rpm as usual temprature gauge at 3 oclock. Also when we repositioned the car so we could tow it i had a white smoke from the exhaust.

Dropped valve?

Any suggestions or advice greatly recieved as the car is stuck at my bros 200 mile from home.

thanks in advance
Lewis

TenaciousC
Saturday 4th June 2011, 12:10
Is the idle rough? One cylinder with compression loss will make it sound and feel very ill.

Make the usual cylinder head gaskett checks... oil in water.... water in oil...etc.

Are you a member of a motoring organization? They can do compression test based on electronic resistance of the starter motor.
C

stu_850t5
Saturday 4th June 2011, 13:42
Sorry i couldnt help myself lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4

lewmo
Saturday 4th June 2011, 14:57
water oil all good, Perfect idle no fluctuations temprature gauge normal.
Not a member of any associations but have a friend of my brothers coming to have a look at it on sunday he is some what of a mechanical wizard so see what he says and failing that i am going to have to start dismantling the top end see what comes up.

lewmo
Saturday 4th June 2011, 15:00
stu that is really not helpful but it was rather amusing m8 :biggrin:

TenaciousC
Saturday 4th June 2011, 15:44
hmmm sounds like compression is OK. Wonder what the poppy wooshing sounds could have been? Turbo breaking? Might explain the sound, the smoke and the ticking.

PS. the video? Some people have far too much time on their hands don't they? ;-)

lewmo
Saturday 4th June 2011, 17:51
Well i did think that to start with but got my head right down over the turbo and the noise was defo not coming from there. Just going to have to make the 200 mile trip and strip it down see what is going on.

The video was quite nice to see seen as i have not been able to laugh about this whole carry on with the car lol