PDA

View Full Version : S80 bi-turbo into C70 single?

jadeddave
Wednesday 1st June 2011, 13:54
Hi All,

New here and I guess this may be a daft question but I was just wandering if it were possible? to take the turbo out of the s80 can it / will it fit in the c70 as a replacement?

I only ask as I'm looking for ways to reduce the turbo lag. I know I can get a remap but thought a 2 stage turbo would be a nice touch :)

any thoughts totally welcome.

Cheers in advance

claymore
Wednesday 1st June 2011, 15:46
You could do what I did. :)

jadeddave
Wednesday 1st June 2011, 16:14
You could do what I did. :)

I could...If I knew what that was :p

Pretell I need to do something about it. it's the only thing I don't like is lag. I hate it in cars I hate it on online gaming! lol

p fandango
Wednesday 1st June 2011, 16:18
fitting the 960 throttle body & 76mm RIP kit made my 19t spool as fast as the 15g did

claymore
Wednesday 1st June 2011, 17:11
If it's a pre me7, a manual boost controller would do the trick

jadeddave
Thursday 2nd June 2011, 08:10
If it's a pre me7, a manual boost controller would do the trick

I think it is the me7 engine. I'ts the one without the throttle cable right? and has the cruise control.

I'm just going off what I think I read somewhere.

p fandango
Thursday 2nd June 2011, 08:28
I think it is the me7 engine. I'ts the one without the throttle cable right? and has the cruise control.

I'm just going off what I think I read somewhere.
yeh if you haven't got a throttle cable then its ME7, in which case you'll hardly be able to do anything without the ECU going in a mood. You'll need it remapping

jadeddave
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 16:05
yeh if you haven't got a throttle cable then its ME7, in which case you'll hardly be able to do anything without the ECU going in a mood. You'll need it remapping

A remap it is.

I hear the Rica maps are pretty good for the ovlov power? but I think I need better brakes EBC Reds and to lower the car by 20mm with spax before I do the stage 1 which take it to 310bhp

Was also thinking of a slight negative camber upgrade and spacers maybe 5mm

any other upgrades recommended before breaking the 300 mark?.

Dave

T5frankie
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 16:28
You won't get over 310 horsepower from a remap mate more like 260-270 the only way you will get that power is with a 19t turbo and supporting mods or an even bigger turbo

jardon
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 18:05
A remap it is.

I hear the Rica maps are pretty good for the ovlov power? but I think I need better brakes EBC Reds and to lower the car by 20mm with spax before I do the stage 1 which take it to 310bhp

Was also thinking of a slight negative camber upgrade and spacers maybe 5mm

any other upgrades recommended before breaking the 300 mark?.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have had a 3 different stage 1 maps on my ME7 V70 and recommend MTE over Rica - pulls harder for longer. Available from http://kalmar-union.com/

No stage 1 map will get you 310 bhp - it's a shame Rica continue to punt that myth. You may get a genuine 280 but any dyno that tells you more is not telling the truth. All the remaps increase mid-range pull and the turbo will spool harder at lower rpms - makes it feel less laggy. As standard our cars make 10psi boost and my MTE stage 1 peaked at 19psi.

My Rica software was mapped for lambda 1 all the way through the revs and ran out of real oomph around 5000rpm - knock sensors intervening and ECU retarding ignition. All the MTE maps I've had enrich fuelling under load and at high rpm to maintain ignition. Torque will fall after the turbo is out of puff but with my MTE map I could still rev cleanly to the limiter.

I can't comment on EBC brakes from personal experience but genuine Volvo are not terrible for road and currently I run Carbotechs - wonderful but noisy. If you lower the car then fit appropriate shocks - Koni Yellows, Bilstein B8's but not FSD's. My car has FSDs on Eibach springs and it's like a barge.

Not sure how the C70 compares to my V70 but with lowering 30mm I got a degree of rear negative camber and the front struts can be adjusted within the standard hub mounts to get just over 1 degree negative (which is what I run). I run a little toe in front and rear to stop the car tramlining and to prevent the inner tyre edge wearing - works well.

Spacers - no idea but I have recently fitted some aftermarket alloys with a lower offset so I have slightly wider track and it feels fine. I can't honestly say it has altered the way it handles one way or the other. Looks a bit meaner though :)

I think you are on the right track by considering handling mods before power - though thats not how I did it. Depending on your budget you may wish to fit stiffer anti roll bars (flatter cornering - less roll) and poly some of the bushes - wishbones and upper engine mount. Power wise a remap will give the biggest gain for lowest outlay but if you really want 300+ bhp then intercooler/bigger turbo/injectors/downpipe/exhaust/water injection/custom map and diff/clutch to cope. If I started again I would get the handling spot on and then fit a stage 2 MTE map with Ferrita (or your favoured brand) turbo back exhaust. Only then if I got power hungry would I consider my options. I think there is more satisfaction in the long term by getting our cars to cope better in corners and under braking with a modest increase in oomph than going for balls out power and failing to control it well. I have done things arse backwards really but I reckon I'm not the first or last.

jadeddave
Wednesday 8th June 2011, 15:03
Hi Dave,

I have had a 3 different stage 1 maps on my ME7 V70 and recommend MTE over Rica - pulls harder for longer. Available from http://kalmar-union.com/

No stage 1 map will get you 310 bhp - it's a shame Rica continue to punt that myth. You may get a genuine 280 but any dyno that tells you more is not telling the truth. All the remaps increase mid-range pull and the turbo will spool harder at lower rpms - makes it feel less laggy. As standard our cars make 10psi boost and my MTE stage 1 peaked at 19psi.

My Rica software was mapped for lambda 1 all the way through the revs and ran out of real oomph around 5000rpm - knock sensors intervening and ECU retarding ignition. All the MTE maps I've had enrich fuelling under load and at high rpm to maintain ignition. Torque will fall after the turbo is out of puff but with my MTE map I could still rev cleanly to the limiter.

I can't comment on EBC brakes from personal experience but genuine Volvo are not terrible for road and currently I run Carbotechs - wonderful but noisy. If you lower the car then fit appropriate shocks - Koni Yellows, Bilstein B8's but not FSD's. My car has FSDs on Eibach springs and it's like a barge.

Not sure how the C70 compares to my V70 but with lowering 30mm I got a degree of rear negative camber and the front struts can be adjusted within the standard hub mounts to get just over 1 degree negative (which is what I run). I run a little toe in front and rear to stop the car tramlining and to prevent the inner tyre edge wearing - works well.

Spacers - no idea but I have recently fitted some aftermarket alloys with a lower offset so I have slightly wider track and it feels fine. I can't honestly say it has altered the way it handles one way or the other. Looks a bit meaner though :)

I think you are on the right track by considering handling mods before power - though thats not how I did it. Depending on your budget you may wish to fit stiffer anti roll bars (flatter cornering - less roll) and poly some of the bushes - wishbones and upper engine mount. Power wise a remap will give the biggest gain for lowest outlay but if you really want 300+ bhp then intercooler/bigger turbo/injectors/downpipe/exhaust/water injection/custom map and diff/clutch to cope. If I started again I would get the handling spot on and then fit a stage 2 MTE map with Ferrita (or your favoured brand) turbo back exhaust. Only then if I got power hungry would I consider my options. I think there is more satisfaction in the long term by getting our cars to cope better in corners and under braking with a modest increase in oomph than going for balls out power and failing to control it well. I have done things arse backwards really but I reckon I'm not the first or last.

Hi Jardon,

Thank you for that indepth wikilike snip it of info :) No seriously that is some good usefull info.

My budget has shrunk somewhat due to getting engadged on friday last :) but thankfully the misses agree's we should have 1 good car and her golf :)

I'm definatly going for the handling first as when I got her there was a real issue with right hand bends turned out to be the antiroll bar drop link. I have since replaced all the bushes with polys from powerflex for a tidy £75.

A strut brace will probably be the next item. But all that has to wait as I took her on a 300 mile round trip and used 2ltrs of oil so I think there is a problem that needs looking at before spending more money on upgrades.

I didn't know there was the ability to add negative camber on the struts anyway so that should save some cash not having to by the camber bolt kits.

Right got to get back to work. Will come back later

Cheers again

Dave