PDA

View Full Version : Factory TV Tuner

TheT6Kid
Saturday 28th May 2011, 21:19
Is this the Factory TV unit? Its in a 2005 S60, it has the HU-850 and the remote. I just bought the car today and cannot get the TV function to work, maybe thats because it isn't fitted? maybe its because i am a donut?

Any help appreciated

I have worked out the black box underneath is the DVD ROM for the RTi, it is the silver box on top i am refferring to?

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg40/davescott699/photo.jpg

v70torslanda
Sunday 29th May 2011, 15:52
Analogue TV isn't broadcast any more so, unless you can get a Freeview box into the mix, there's FA being broadcast that the tuner can pick up - I think . . .

TheT6Kid
Sunday 29th May 2011, 19:20
Analogue TV isn't broadcast any more so, unless you can get a Freeview box into the mix, there's FA being broadcast that the tuner can pick up - I think . . .

Doesn't swith off in my region until 2012/2013.

Can anyone identify the silver box?
It could be the graphics unit for the Sat Nav i suppose it has PAL on a label on the top but that is the Euro region video standard so again could be just the RTi graphics box.

v70torslanda
Sunday 29th May 2011, 19:40
Ring a Volvo dealer with reg/VIN details and ask them to check the spec?

IIRC not all RTI equipped cars came with the TV facility.

TheT6Kid
Sunday 29th May 2011, 23:26
Ring a Volvo dealer with reg/VIN details and ask them to check the spec?

IIRC not all RTI equipped cars came with the TV facility.

Your correct it is listed as an option in the RTi manual.

Maybe it isn't fitted. Not to worry I am planning an IMiV in the near future anyway which i believe requires the TV unit to be disconnected anyway.

It would have been no more than a 'novelty' anyway...

Thanks

Dream3r
Monday 30th May 2011, 20:35
That's the tv tuner afaik I havve that same box and my tv works.

I take it you can't select the source from the HU?

Any dealer will be able to get a list of factory options as delivered. It might be worth a double check.

TheT6Kid
Monday 30th May 2011, 21:59
I cannot select it as a source, I will try the dealers, see if they can shed some light on it. Thanks

TheT6Kid
Wednesday 1st June 2011, 17:44
Perseverance is the word of the day, I do have TV, that pic is the TV Tuner and through the word of the day and my distinctly average soldering skills, I now have a working TV in my car. I will fill you all in on the details later as I am on the way out of the door!

TheT6Kid
Wednesday 1st June 2011, 22:34
Ok to cut a long story short!!
I noticed a little bit of interference on Nav screen when engine is running, it isn't there when engine off. I suspected ground loop noise which normally suggests a poor earth somewhere. I decided to remove silver box plus Nav DVD ROM. Unplugged silver metal box to find rusty pins inside socket. Further investigation opening the casing revealed a lot of corrosion around pins and the red +ve pin snapped off and stuck inside plug. I stripped PCB out and cleaned it up, re-soldering a small length of wire to the underside of the missing pin. The wire was then passed out of the case, unit re-assembled and the wire soldered into the loom. Power on and hey presto TV.
Bit of a mess about and didn't really hold on to a lot of hope, but it's fully functioning now. Very pleased!

TheT6Kid
Thursday 2nd June 2011, 07:07
Still not quite posh enough for Lord Suger but it has a tele.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg40/davescott699/image.jpg