PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Options For A 2002 2.0T (163BHP Low Pressure Turbo)

JustARandomDude
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 23:33
Hey.

I currently have 3 Volvo's. (first 3 Volvo's ever bought, and all in a time frame of a month, lol.) Looks like I'll be keeping them all. I'm planning on keeping the 2.0T as a afterwork/weekend car because I'm in love with the thing. And seen as I'll only be driving it a handful of times a week, I wouldn't mind the cost of the fuel bill.

What kind of tuning options are available for a low pressure 2.0T? From what some companies have told me, they can get this neat little engine to 200BHP+ with just a simple remap. So I was thinking to pick up a bigger turbo + remap, and I should be seeing a good 220BHP, correct?

I know Volvo made the T4 which is 200BHP from stock, but if I've read correctly, the T4 engine is a different engine (more durable) to the newer (more downgraded) 2.0T engines so I'm a little worried of the implications at stressing the 2.0 engine beyond what it can handle. Do you think a remap is enough? If so, should I upgrade or replace anything else to compensate for the additional power? I wouldn't want things to start blowing up because of the new applied pressure. :)

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

t5_monkey
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 23:47
Bolt ons should be fine... that is, remap, 3" downpipe and perhaps Intercooler if you feel like it.

Personally, if you want that much power get a T4, due to having the stronger block - yours will be a very nice motor with a few choice mods and a Remap, and run just fine if you look after it.

With a remap - you'll be getting about 190-200 which will be plenty for most purposes.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 23:47
Im affraid I cant answer your question on tuning, other than to say I think a Rica remap is a common option for that particular engine.

I just wanted to say Im glad you clarified your car status, I was getting worried we were under a spam attack until you admitted to owning three Volvo's after seeing all three threads!

JustARandomDude
Wednesday 25th May 2011, 00:16
Im affraid I cant answer your question on tuning, other than to say I think a Rica remap is a common option for that particular engine.

I just wanted to say Im glad you clarified your car status, I was getting worried we were under a spam attack until you admitted to owning three Volvo's after seeing all three threads!

Hehe, sorry about that, I've been meaning to join for the past couple of weeks but I've just had no time, so all the questions I had building up in my head kinda came out in spam mode. :D

Bolt ons should be fine... that is, remap, 3" downpipe and perhaps Intercooler if you feel like it.

Personally, if you want that much power get a T4, due to having the stronger block - yours will be a very nice motor with a few choice mods and a Remap, and run just fine if you look after it.

With a remap - you'll be getting about 190-200 which will be plenty for most purposes.

Thanks! So nothing else would be needed to compensate for the extra power? I take good care of my vehicles, mostly drive like a nanny to minimize repairs and partially due to the cost of fuel. I've never been a boy racer and never will be. But ever since I've bought this car, when ever I see an empty straight, I just wanna' take it. :D

As Jeramey Clarkson famously once said... POOWWEERR!!!

daveforber
Wednesday 25th May 2011, 00:41
I had a V40 2.0T. Your basic options are remap plus exhaust, or MBC.

The MBC is obviously the cheaper and more risky option. I had mine running 12psi (it's 8psi stock) and had no problems as a guide. It was definitely worth the £60 outlay (for the MBC and boost gauge). You don't want to push it much further than that because the 12T turbo is tiny it'll get hot. Couple that with relatively high compression, and you're looking at easy detonation (bad) plus looking at melting something expensive.

HLM, BSR and Rica (probably others too) offer remaps for the car, supposedly adding around 30-40bhp.

Turbo swaps are possible and the 14T from a T4 *is* a direct fit, but many a 2.0T has reputedly melted with that combination. The 'mericans, who will say its possible, apparently get the T4 engine with a smaller turbo, which is why they don't melt.

daveforber
Wednesday 25th May 2011, 00:44
Yep ... thought this was familiar: http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16112

Chad
Wednesday 25th May 2011, 08:59
There quite a few people out there with the Rica remap for this engine type and are very pleased with the results.

Here is one http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=115721&highlight=c70+remap

hope this helps..

Chad

lance
Wednesday 25th May 2011, 11:09
My local Volvo Independent David Pengelly has a Volvo S40 2.0T LPT with an autologic remap running in the region of 200 BHP, Its easily as nippy as a T5 upto 100 mph cough apparantly.

JustARandomDude
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 18:46
My local Volvo Independent David Pengelly has a Volvo S40 2.0T LPT with an autologic remap running in the region of 200 BHP, Its easily as nippy as a T5 upto 100 mph cough apparantly.

This is odd, I replied to this yesterday yet it never showed up. Hmm.

Thanks for the reply, 200BHP is by far more then enough for me, I'm just wondering what else I should change to compensate for the new acquired power. I mean, I won't be making use of it on a daily basis, just so I can kick it every now and then knowing I won't blow something up from the sudden hike in power.

I wonder what else I can change... What sort of oil and filters would you guys recommend? I was told to go with Castrol Edge 5W-40 and also to stick K&N filters all round (air, oil, fuel) and to tank it with V-Power always. (I've never used anything but V-Power anyway :))

What I'm after is better economy on a daily run, yet enough low-end power to take off at a decent rate.

t5_monkey
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 20:38
MAF and other electronic sensors go south.. change those for best economy

M-R-P
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 22:19
Just read this thread and can't believe I haven't seen the following...
Chop it in for a T-5, nice ex-plod ones available for circa £2000 and money is no object when it comes to servicing. It may not be as efficient as the 2.0lpt but the drive is totally addictive, quiet and relatively fuel efficient when loafing about like a granny(26-35mpg), scooby - destroying growling animal when prodded (P2 T-5 @247 BHP, T-5R @ 260BHP+40BHP overboost - waiting to be corrected on that Pedro... :) ). Take one for a test drive, you'll see.

:buttkick:

p fandango
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 22:51
(P2 T-5 @247 BHP, T-5R @ 260BHP+40BHP overboost - waiting to be corrected on that Pedro... :) )
you've baffled me with that one lol

T-5R was only available on the 850's, 240bhp including the overboost. Normal 850 T-5's are 225bhp. 850R's are 250bhp

P2 (S60, V70) T-5's are 247bhp for the 2.3 & 256bhp for the 2.4, S60R/V70R's are 300bhp (cough so they say lol)

M-R-P
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 22:59
you've baffled me with that one lol

T-5R was only available on the 850's, 240bhp including the overboost. Normal 850 T-5's are 225bhp. 850R's are 250bhp

P2 (S60, V70) T-5's are 247bhp for the 2.3 & 256bhp for the 2.4, S60R/V70R's are 300bhp (cough so they say lol)

Thanks Pedro, I knew you'd pull thru.. :beer:
but... I was right about the P2... 247 and 300 (overboost allowing)

Sorry, I get my T's, 5's and R's mixed up sometimes (picky sod) ;)

Didn't the p2 T-5 have the P1 T5-R engine? just going on the bits n bobs I've read,

M-R-P
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 23:05
Hey Pedro, nice to see you didn't disagree about choppin the 2.0lpt in for a T-5 tho
LOL

p fandango
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 23:05
Thanks Pedro, I knew you'd pull thru.. :beer:
but... I was right about the P2... 247 and 300 (overboost allowing)

Sorry, I get my T's, 5's and R's mixed up sometimes (picky sod) ;)

Didn't the p2 T-5 have the P1 T5-R engine? just going on the bits n bobs I've read,
the only one with overboost was the T-5R, all the others get the increased bhp via bigger turbo's & different ecu mapping etc. Alot of people confuse the 850R & T-5R's as the same car

they all evolved from the same engine, even the D5 is near enough the same lol

M-R-P
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 23:08
the only one with overboost was the T-5R, all the others get the increased bhp via bigger turbo's & different ecu mapping etc. Alot of people confuse the 850R & T-5R's as the same car

they all evolved from the same engine, even the D5 is near enough the same lol

I read there were a few that had 8 bhp o/b and the S60R/V70R had 60 bhp o/b?

You are a pond of information and I am but a sponge!

p fandango
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 23:10
You are a pond of information and I am but a sponge!
good job your names not Bob & have square pants then really ain't it lol

http://www.pudgybunny.com/images/spongebob.gif

M-R-P
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 23:13
good job your names not Bob & have square pants then really ain't it lol

http://www.pudgybunny.com/images/spongebob.gif

Love that cartoon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi74Oswr_Vc&feature=related