PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharging A Non-Turbo 2.0?

JustARandomDude
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 23:02
Hey,

I was wondering if its possible to drop a 2.0T turbo into a non-turbo 2.0? The turbo will be coming out of a Phase 2 163BHP and going into a 136BHP phase 1. Has this been tried before? If so, what is the ease of such a transplant?

Thanks!

LiamT4
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 23:17
Hey,

I was wondering if its possible to drop a 2.0T turbo into a non-turbo 2.0? The turbo will be coming out of a Phase 2 163BHP and going into a 136BHP phase 1. Has this been tried before? If so, what is the ease of such a transplant?

Thanks!

Certainly possible to put the 2.0t engine in, how easy it is depends on how good you are with a spanner.

Edit. You do mean engine swap and not fit a turbo onto the 2.0L?

JustARandomDude
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 23:38
Certainly possible to put the 2.0t engine in, how easy it is depends on how good you are with a spanner.

Edit. You do mean engine swap and not fit a turbo onto the 2.0L?
Yup. What I meant was, fitting a turbo unit into a standard non-turbo 2.0 engine. :)

t5_monkey
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 23:48
Just do an engine swap! better still, sell yours and buy one with the turbo unit in.

LiamT4
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 23:50
N/A engines run at different compression rates to turbo cars and then theres things like oil feed pipes, vac lines, BCS, intercooler, etc to think about.

There will probably be some far more knowledgeable people than me, that will be along that can help.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 23:57
I can tell you for a fact it wouldnt be easy, there is a hell of a lot of work involved. I asked the question a few years back and the guru's told me that it would be easier to re-build the tower bridge with marmite and sand.

JustARandomDude
Wednesday 25th May 2011, 00:22
I can tell you for a fact it wouldnt be easy, there is a hell of a lot of work involved. I asked the question a few years back and the guru's told me that it would be easier to re-build the tower bridge with marmite and sand.

Alrighty then. Thanks for clearing that up. Saved me the headache of dreaming about it. Looks like I might sell the non-turbo and put the money into tuning up the 2.0T I have.

My original intent was to use this as a project car. It's the fully loaded CD spec and I bought it was as cheap as chips! It dawned on me after a while and looked like it kinda weeped for some attention so I didn't want to let it go.

I take it not much can be done on the cheap to add a little more punch under the hood then? I asked around for a remap but n body would touch it telling me its not worth it at all for the 2.0, but said promising things for the 1.8 (???)

JustARandomDude
Wednesday 25th May 2011, 00:25
N/A engines run at different compression rates to turbo cars and then theres things like oil feed pipes, vac lines, BCS, intercooler, etc to think about.

There will probably be some far more knowledgeable people than me, that will be along that can help.

Thanks, will keep this in mind. http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Mark_V40T4
Wednesday 25th May 2011, 17:05
i was thinking about some sort of turbo conversion for my 1.8.. but all im going todo when funds allow is buy a 2.0T or T4 and just swap all my parts over =)