PDA

View Full Version : 855 rear spring removal

claymore
Monday 23rd May 2011, 16:43
Went to swap my rear springs yesterday, no problem removing the old shocks and replacing with new ones, but I'm buggerd if I can get the nut off the bottom of the spring cup, the whole bolt is just turning (on both sides.)
So come on all you experts, how the hell do you get them out?

Jamest5r
Monday 23rd May 2011, 16:46
Angle grinder both time's ive change them on mine and the Mrs car :)

Nealevo
Monday 23rd May 2011, 16:50
I agree witht the above, i was stumped for hours trying heat and different bars etc, Mr grinder came out in the end and was done in minutes

claymore
Monday 23rd May 2011, 16:53
Good, that's just confirmed what I thought.

The Flying Moose
Monday 23rd May 2011, 17:57
There is a way to do it without grinding...

They can be removed. All you need to do is wedge something under the top side of the top nut. I got a crowbar between the springs and just underneath it. You should then be able to undo the bottom nut with a breaker bar. Its not that difficult you just need pressure on the top nut.

Jamest5r
Monday 23rd May 2011, 18:35

They can be removed. All you need to do is wedge something under the top side of the top nut. I got a crowbar between the springs and just underneath it. You should then be able to undo the bottom nut with a breaker bar. Its not that difficult you just need pressure on the top nut.

Your getting far too sensible in your old age :)

claymore
Monday 23rd May 2011, 18:37

beleive me, I tried all that, I'll cut the nuts off in the next couple of days.

The Flying Moose
Monday 23rd May 2011, 18:41
Your getting far too sensible in your old age :)

I almost feel a new Group is required... "The Grinders", I cant help but think it will be mis-interpreted though.

p fandango
Monday 23rd May 2011, 19:18
Angle grinder both time's ive change them on mine and the Mrs car :)
now if i'd of suggested that..............................

Niles
Monday 23rd May 2011, 19:23
i did the same as Mr E Moose. Wedged a breaker bar between the coil and leant like hell on the top of the bolt. loads of wd40 on the thread will help, give it a scrub with a wire brush & then go for it. I did that on 3 different cars & bingo!!>>>>>done all 3 that way.

Jamest5r
Monday 23rd May 2011, 19:24
now if i'd of suggested that..............................

In moderation mate :) now stop chasing 10000 posts and get back to fixing your car :)

nobananas
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 20:55
I managed to reach through the coil spring on mine and hold the 'lump' with a pair of waterpump pliers.

merc85
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 22:38
Decent set of mole grips works everytime