PDA

View Full Version : Tuning questions.

LiamT4
Saturday 21st May 2011, 21:40
Does anyone know if a 100cell race cat will meet emmission regulations on my s70r? Also, anyone know of good places that sell them?

I'll soon be getting a 3"obx dp, but its got a straight flange on it, when i get another turbo will i have to go for one with a straight flange or can the turbo or dp be modified to fit?

Looking at getting a 19t, mainly because it will be simpler to fit. But does anybody recomend anything else, but remember that i will have to find somewhere to fit it, thats why i'm prob going for a 19t as (hopefully) my local volvo place will be able to do this and i don't know anywhere else in leicester that will do my car.

When i'v got the turbo and bigger injectors where will i get a custom map from, as i have no idea how you custom map these 4.4 ecus (people that i know have newer cars that can link up directly and be mapped).

Remember that my car is an auto so getting the map right is not just important for the engine, but also for the gearbox.
Driving along at 35mph and having the car kicking down into 1st on full boost and i'd imagine things wont last long! lol

Soz for going on, but i need to get clear in my head what i need to get done and where i can get it done.

All advice will be appreciated.

p fandango
Saturday 21st May 2011, 21:47
Ferrita use 100cell cats so i guess they must be ok for the emmissions, & my local main stealer fitted my turbo, downpipe & exhaust manifold for me & quite reasonable price as well (£235 i believe). Is the Turbo Tuner 4.4 compatible yet?

LiamT4
Saturday 21st May 2011, 21:59
Ferrita use 100cell cats so i guess they must be ok for the emmissions, & my local main stealer fitted my turbo, downpipe & exhaust manifold for me & quite reasonable price as well (£235 i believe). Is the Turbo Tuner 4.4 compatible yet?

Don't know, one of the things i'd like to find out. But would still need to find somewhere that would map it for me.

p fandango
Saturday 21st May 2011, 22:01
Don't know, one of the things i'd like to find out. But would still need to find somewhere that would map it for me.
my mate with Vanarchy uses TVR power in Cov (they prepare the TVR race cars), they've got there own dyno & did him a very very good price

LiamT4
Saturday 21st May 2011, 22:12
my mate with Vanarchy uses TVR power in Cov (they prepare the TVR race cars), they've got there own dyno & did him a very very good price

Would they do autos? I'd imagine they are more awkard to tune being as you can't hold them in gears.

How do you set up a poll?
Nothing big, just want to see what headlights people prefer for an s70, the projectors or the 2003 MY c70 crystal headlights.

p fandango
Saturday 21st May 2011, 22:17
Would they do autos? I'd imagine they are more awkard to tune being as you can't hold them in gears.
i've never spoke to them myself, but can't see why not. With the Turbo Tuner you can trace exactly what's going on with the map so not keeping the revs still shouldn't be an issue

How do you set up a poll?
Nothing big, just want to see what headlights people prefer for an s70, the projectors or the 2003 MY c70 crystal headlights.
if you create a thread i think its an option lower down the page before you submit it

smithy
Saturday 21st May 2011, 22:22
hlm would be able to set your car up mate

LiamT4
Saturday 21st May 2011, 22:48
hlm would be able to set your car up mate

I'm trying to keep costs down by getting the bits i need myself and then getting local places to fit them, then the only thing i would need to travel further to get done would be the mapping.

If i do have to travel further to get it done then i will have a look at what they can do for me. Theres a few other things i want to get done as well, so need to get good deals on things.

Is there anything else i need, apart from injectors (greens or vxr, whichever i can get cheapest) that i will need to get done when i have a bigger turbo? Things like fuel pumps, ignition coil, etc?

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 21st May 2011, 23:05
I would also look to fit an auxiliary cooler to keep the ATF temps down

LiamT4
Saturday 21st May 2011, 23:09
I would also look to fit an auxiliary cooler to keep the ATF temps down

Been to my local volvo place to ask if they can do that for me. They said they can't remember the last time they fitted one, but they'll do it for me.

Ed.
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 02:54
Generally from what i have read, you will need a 200 cell cat for an exhaust with pre and post lambda sensors. Custom chrome in Nuneaton do sports cats, custom systems, etc. My 100 cell sports cat cost me £180 fitted a couple of years ago. There is still no guarantee it will pass an mot though.

If you are sticking with a TD04 turbo then the flanges should be interchangeable. Straight flange downpipe will also fit garrett turbo, if you chose to go for big power.

My mechanic is local to you, he is more than capable of fitting the above. Tuning wise, i would personally go with MTE, Marco travels over from Sweden a few times a year and mapping is done at Bruntingthorpe ie on a runway as oppose to the rollers, can't get much more real life mapping than that. Only thing is, you would have to plan around Marco's schedule and custom mapping is not cheap!

I would add ME7/R exhaust manifold to your list of bits, seen as though the turbo is being changed anyway. Other bits should be ok unless you are going for the garrett.

Ed

JelT5
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 03:44
I'll second what Ed says about MTE, when I was looking at doing a load of upgrades to my V70 auto at European Tuning, the owner said that the MTE maps drop the torque for milliseconds on the auto's shifts to give the box a longer life. Afaik the only remapping company that does so.

T5frankie
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 07:22
liam why not just upgrade your license?

LiamT4
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 12:00
liam why not just upgrade your license?

I have thought about that, but then i'd have to sell my car and find a manual thats in as good condition, i'd just be swapping one lot of hassle for another.

T5frankie
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 12:07
I have thought about that, but then i'd have to sell my car and find a manual thats in as good condition, i'd just be swapping one lot of hassle for another.

yeah but that aint that hard really is it? Then you would love racing even more, and you could buy a saffron one lol

LiamT4
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 12:14
yeah but that aint that hard really is it? Then you would love racing even more, and you could buy a saffron one lol

I'v looked at and been in a fair few volvos in the last couple of years and not many have been in the condition that mines in.

Already decided that if the gearbox ever does go on this car then i'll try and find somewhere that will fit a manual in it.

LiamT4
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 14:09
Generally from what i have read, you will need a 200 cell cat for an exhaust with pre and post lambda sensors. Custom chrome in Nuneaton do sports cats, custom systems, etc. My 100 cell sports cat cost me £180 fitted a couple of years ago. There is still no guarantee it will pass an mot though.

If you are sticking with a TD04 turbo then the flanges should be interchangeable. Straight flange downpipe will also fit garrett turbo, if you chose to go for big power.

My mechanic is local to you, he is more than capable of fitting the above. Tuning wise, i would personally go with MTE, Marco travels over from Sweden a few times a year and mapping is done at Bruntingthorpe ie on a runway as oppose to the rollers, can't get much more real life mapping than that. Only thing is, you would have to plan around Marco's schedule and custom mapping is not cheap!

I would add ME7/R exhaust manifold to your list of bits, seen as though the turbo is being changed anyway. Other bits should be ok unless you are going for the garrett.

Ed

Custom chrome aren't that far from me so maybe i'll have a chat with them regarding the cat and exhaust.

The mte does sound a good map, but i want to be able get things done when needed and not have to wait for someone to come over from another country.

Been looking at the tt and seems that they can do the 4.4 ecu so may go down that route.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 17:34
Liam, buy the turbo, Ill come round and fit it for you. I have done two now and it takes about four/five hours.

As for the downpipe. You will be able to get it modified at any good exhaust dealer. As said any outlet can be swapped. All 19T's come with an angled flange and we will be able to put that straight onto your car with the existing downpipe without and hasstle, then as said get it modified and fitted by an exhaust dealer.

The Turbo-Tuner is compatible with 4.4, I have seen a demo in adams V70.

Liam if I were you this would be my shopping list.
-19T
-395 Injectors or larger
-Upgraded ATF oil cooler
-Walbro 255lph fuel pump

Coupled with a decent map you will fly.

T5frankie
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 17:37
Liam, buy the turbo, Ill come round and fit it for you. I have done two now and it takes about four/five hours.

As for the downpipe. You will be able to get it modified at any good exhaust dealer. As said any outlet can be swapped. All 19T's come with an angled flange and we will be able to put that straight onto your car with the existing downpipe without and hasstle, then as said get it modified and fitted by an exhaust dealer.

-19T
-395 Injectors or larger
-Upgraded ATF oil cooler
-Walbro 255lph fuel pump

my 19t came with a straight flange but when i bought it it wasn't advertised as having so, so saved me having to buy a downpipe too, so make sure whether it is straight or angled

smithy
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 17:40

-19T
-395 Injectors or larger
-Upgraded ATF oil cooler
-Walbro 255lph fuel pump

and an oil cooler mate and the standard pump are good at this stage of tune

T5frankie
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 17:42
i dont think a 19t on an auto is worth having a 16t can be made to really shift

smithy
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 17:48
i dont think a 19t on an auto is worth having a 16t can be made to really shift

i agree with you frankie for a change and dont forget miss darcys standard 850 outo with just a rica pulled a 14.6 at avon with a 15g

The Flying Moose
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 17:56
i agree with you frankie for a change and dont forget miss darcys standard 850 outo with just a rica pulled a 14.6 at avon with a 15g

I agree to that a 16T can be made to be extremely quick. But the statement that a 19T isnt worth it on an auto I disagree. Remember the 19T was only ever fitted from factory on the V70R AWD Auto and not manual.

You should see some of the cars on the american forums (mostly autos) running serious turbo's and pulling 12 second quarter miles. Anything is possible, dont let the autobox restrict you, thats just my opinion.

T5frankie
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 18:12
I agree to that a 16T can be made to be extremely quick. But the statement that a 19T isnt worth it on an auto I disagree. Remember the 19T was only ever fitted from factory on the V70R AWD Auto and not manual.

You should see some of the cars on the american forums (mostly autos) running serious turbo's and pulling 12 second quarter miles. Anything is possible, dont let the autobox restrict you, thats just my opinion.

but moose that car was more powerful +25bhp and was fitted with a 5 speed box to counteract the turbo lag and crappy awd

smithy
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 18:14
but moose that car was more powerful +25bhp and was fitted with a 5 speed box to counteract the turbo lag

and it was slow too

smithy
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 18:30
the is a turbo for sale for you liam just what you need mate

LiamT4
Sunday 22nd May 2011, 22:35
19t is the smallest turbo i want, more concerned with top end power now not lag.
Not sure if they are that laggy anyway, as when i went in daves car, i know its 5pd but, his didn't seem laggy at all even in 4th it went well.

wegal
Monday 23rd May 2011, 09:54
I have a ferreta <sp> race cat 100 cell fitted to an 06 S60 and it passed the emmissions no problem at all, infact comparing it to last years on a standard cat there was no difference at all.

You should be ok with the ferreta one, ont know about any other

The Flying Moose
Monday 23rd May 2011, 13:23
Going back to the CAT issue Liam, I agree with Wegal you should be fine with a 100 cell cat. I have seen quite a few pass the emitions tests legitimately with no cat whatsoever.

deathrider311271
Monday 23rd May 2011, 13:44
i have a 100cel cat in mine and its fine, just make sure your lambdas are in good order as well as all you other intake components. My reading was actually lower than last year with a standard cat in place

simon

LiamT4
Monday 23rd May 2011, 15:56
Cheers guys regarding the cat, i hope to get to custom chrome on friday and i'll be having a chat about my options.

I know a local bmw independent who say they'll put it on their emmisions machine to see what its doing. So if there are any issues it'll be spotted before the mot, which aint untill next year anyway.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 23rd May 2011, 16:11
Liam should know LOL, he was standing right by us at the Cov meet just after Christmas whilst Adam was playing with the TT on his V70 with his laptop in the engine bay.

The Flying Moose
Monday 23rd May 2011, 18:01
Liam should know LOL, he was standing right by us at the Cov meet just after Christmas whilst Adam was playing with the TT on his V70 with his laptop in the engine bay.

Indeed he was! Too pre-occupied looking at the superior 850's obviously ;)

Dangerous Dave
Monday 23rd May 2011, 18:02
Indeed he was! Too pre-occupied looking at the superior 850's obviously ;)
Or that missing bolt in a certain persons engine bay......

The Flying Moose
Monday 23rd May 2011, 18:04
Or that missing bolt in a certain persons engine bay......

Mmm I was certain when Duane said Richard could have the bolt he was going to produce a diesel generator and an angle grinder from the boot of Bonny.

Seems even Duane knows how to use a spanner.

Im still completely phased as to how the top mount bolt fell out, it could only be that it wasnt tightened properly in the first place.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 23rd May 2011, 18:06
<cough> Ford <cough>

LOL, Duane, always wanting to do it a different way. Next time we see him it'll be " Hey Duane, what the bloody hell you going to do with that rocket launcher?"

The Flying Moose
Monday 23rd May 2011, 18:07
<cough> Ford <cough>

:thewave:

Sorry Liam, we have digressed a little...

Vikingxl
Monday 23rd May 2011, 18:08
Seems even Duane knows how to use a spanner

Some would say pedro is a spanner

JelT5
Monday 23rd May 2011, 19:03

Or just a nut

p fandango
Monday 23rd May 2011, 19:10
Cheers guys regarding the cat, i hope to get to custom chrome on friday and i'll be having a chat about my options.
what time you planning on going there, i should be working (or pretending to work) just round the corner Friday

p fandango
Monday 23rd May 2011, 19:13
i totally represent that comment thank you very much (or is it resent?)

Or just a nut
:P

LiamT4
Monday 23rd May 2011, 20:37

Your correct, i rememberd after emlyn said. lol

:thewave:

Sorry Liam, we have digressed a little...

No worries, used to it (i'm usually one of the main culprits! lol)

what time you planning on going there, i should be working (or pretending to work) just round the corner Friday

Not sure, anytime between 10am and 2pm.

p fandango
Monday 23rd May 2011, 21:17
Not sure, anytime between 10am and 2pm.
let us know & i might be able to sneak out for a bit

LiamT4
Monday 23rd May 2011, 21:21
let us know & i might be able to sneak out for a bit

I'v not got any particular time in mind (apart from between those hours), so we can meet anytime thats best for you.

p fandango
Monday 23rd May 2011, 21:53
I'v not got any particular time in mind (apart from between those hours), so we can meet anytime thats best for you.
i'm working 7am-3.30pm so doesn't really matter to me either

LiamT4
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 23:31

-19T
-395 Injectors or larger
-Upgraded ATF oil cooler
-Walbro 255lph fuel pump

I'd be very gratefull of any help with fitting stuff.

I'd pay you for your time mate.

LiamT4
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 23:32
i'm working 7am-3.30pm so doesn't really matter to me either

At the min, i'm aiming to be there about 11ish.

p fandango
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 23:35
At the min, i'm aiming to be there about 11ish.
plans/locations have changed everyday so far this week, but fingers crossed i'll still be free, i'll put the pollen filters in the boot before i forget lol

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 23:43
I'd be very gratefull of any help with fitting stuff.

I'd pay you for your time mate.

No need Liam, beer tokens will be fine. If you have all the items you want fitting by the time Im back from the Falklands (land in the UK on the 18th June) ill nip round and help you get it all fitted.

LiamT4
Tuesday 24th May 2011, 23:56
No need Liam, beer tokens will be fine. If you have all the items you want fitting by the time Im back from the Falklands (land in the UK on the 18th June) ill nip round and help you get it all fitted.

Main things i'm looking for at the minute are the turbo and upgrading the boost hoses, vac lines.

I'm sure i can manage a bit more than beer tokens, i'll get you a couple of "ladies of the night", being as you've been stuck on that rock for a while.:wink::lol:

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 25th May 2011, 00:01
Main things i'm looking for at the minute are the turbo and upgrading the boost hoses, vac lines.

I'm sure i can manage a bit more than beer tokens, i'll get you a couple of "ladies of the night", being as you've been stuck on that rock for a while.:wink::lol:

Oh dear god dont remind me Liam, im not even sure what a woman looks like anymore.

The Vac lines are easy, ill buy you some braided fuel hose and use that, it wont collapse under pressure or age anywhere near as bad as OEM replacements or silicone.

Ed.
Friday 27th May 2011, 00:46
Say hi to Martin for me at CCR. Angle flange turbo and downpipe flows the best ;)

Ed

LiamT4
Friday 27th May 2011, 17:24
Well i went to ccr for a chat and they can do me an exhaust, but it won't be cheap.

But i think i'll be getting them to do it because after speaking to them and seeing some of there work, i'm pretty sure that i'll get exactly what i want and know that the level of quality will be 100%.

Some of the stuff there lookes excellent.

smithy
Friday 27th May 2011, 23:43
Well i went to ccr for a chat and they can do me an exhaust, but it won't be cheap.

But i think i'll be getting them to do it because after speaking to them and seeing some of there work, i'm pretty sure that i'll get exactly what i want and know that the level of quality will be 100%.

Some of the stuff there lookes excellent.

my 940 exhaust was built by them and getting another built soon well downpipe anyway

LiamT4
Friday 27th May 2011, 23:51
my 940 exhaust was built by them and getting another built soon well downpipe anyway

Think he may have mentioned something about your car. Said he done a couple of things for volvos, Ed being one and he said he'd done something for a guy in an older model who does the 1/4mile, but couldn't remember his name, may have been uou then.

Its not cheap, but they obviously know what they are doing and their "work" speaks for itself, so i'm prepared to pay a bit more.

smithy
Friday 27th May 2011, 23:57
Think he may have mentioned something about your car. Said he done a couple of things for volvos, Ed being one and he said he'd done something for a guy in an older model who does the 1/4mile, but couldn't remember his name, may have been uou then.

Its not cheap, but they obviously know what they are doing and their "work" speaks for itself, so i'm prepared to pay a bit more.

they make the boxes and exhausts themselves and they design exhaust systems for landrover etc.2 brothers own it

LiamT4
Friday 27th May 2011, 23:59
they make the boxes and exhausts themselves and they design exhaust systems for landrover etc.2 brothers own it

They do the exhaust for spyker now and he said they'd helped noble on the m600.