PDA

View Full Version : Battery going flat

Quicksilver
Saturday 21st May 2011, 19:47
Hi all, the battery keeps going flat on the R, she's not getting much use at the moment as my summer toys out, but the bateries going flat in about 3 days, had the battery checked and thats ok, what sort of residual current draw should I expect?, any common things that can course this?.

paullus
Monday 30th May 2011, 08:58
Hi Quicksilver.
The alarm will cause some current drain but not much.
I keep my S70 in the garage, unlocked so I don't have that problem.
Mine was caused by accidentally releasing the boot with the remote and not noticing. This caused the boot light to come on and drain the battery over a weekend.
I've now set the light to off so it doesn't come on when the boot is opened.
I appreciate you have an estate but it might be worth checking to make sure you haven't got a bulb lit somewhere.

Yosser
Monday 30th May 2011, 09:25
I had a similar problem with the S70. In the end it turned out to be the OSR door open marker light that wasn't going out.

I ended up tracking it down by removing every fuse one by one and putting a multimeter (set to current) across the gap, the interior lights one showed a current draw so that was the pointer.

I don't think any other circuit showed a draw, so if you find anything then it needs looking into.

Flatout Phil
Monday 30th May 2011, 15:16
It doesn't solve the problem but I notice that Maplins are doing some half price 12v solar chargers to stick on the dash to keep your battery topped up. My old T5 was forever losing charge - as indeed did the R with some funny ignition barrel fault that prevented the auxilliaries like the heater fan from shutting off when the keys had been taken out.
I don't know what happened on the R, but after it had been superbly valeted the problem finally (after 8 months) went away and has not come back.

I swear that car is alive...

red_hot_volvo
Sunday 26th June 2011, 17:25
I found that as well, because of where the button for the boot is positioned on the fob, it's easy to pop the boot without realising only to go back to the car a week later and find the battery is stone cold flat, it's a pain in the arse of a thing, but something you have to be vigilant about.