PDA

View Full Version : Revs

brummie1972
Thursday 19th May 2011, 20:25
Hi guys need some help here Volvo s60 2.0t when sitting at lights etc idle revs not steady keep dropping and coming back usually sit around 800-1000 but drops to 600 ish but not enough to stall does not do it all the time just every now and then. I am thinking perhaps fuel filter or something along them lines as the other day on way back from long journey car was very low on fuel before could make it to garage. All help and advise needed please as I nit really a petrol head lol

t5 stealth
Thursday 19th May 2011, 20:32
possible idle control valve,or maybe a vac pipe split.
has it got engine light on dash showing or any other symptoms ?
if you can get a diagnostics done it might shed some light on it.

brummie1972
Thursday 19th May 2011, 20:41
No dash lights on. Sorry to sound dumb but where are they located vac pipe what come from engine to filter ?? Any info is great not got money to take to garage at the mo

t5 stealth
Thursday 19th May 2011, 20:46
no prob mate,
just have a check under the bonnet,check all the smaller vaccum pipes you can see,maybe a split in them,
while car is running have a listen under the bonnet,you may hear a split pipe sucking air in somewhere,
if the prob is something more,ie electronic....ie throttle body etc then it will probably have to be plugged in to see whats going on,
where are you located....is the clue in the name :)
maybe some members near you that might help

brummie1972
Thursday 19th May 2011, 20:57
Lol yeah name is location thanks stealth will be out there tomoz check them out so a service would not help at all then was gonna book it in for one have all the filter etc changed an stuck some redex in the tank try clean it through

t5 stealth
Thursday 19th May 2011, 21:05
i dont think a service will help,until you sort the actual prob,you could spend money and still have same prob,
it sounds like it might have an air leak,(split pipe).
see if you can find any pipes split 1st,then go from there,
as you look at the engine from the front,the big silver alloy manifold nearest you,check all the hoses that are attached to it,there is one on the left underside,between power steering pump and manifold,
put your hand down between it and see if you can feel anything,if you do it with the engine running you will hear a change in the engine as your fingers run over the pipe if its split......but if its running please keep your hands away from the pulleys etc...be careful :)

brummie1972
Thursday 19th May 2011, 21:11
Thanks again will give it a good check over tomoz let you know my results cheers mate

t5 stealth
Thursday 19th May 2011, 21:16
no prob mate,hope you find something.
not sure what your engine looks like but if its like this one iv ringed a couple of areas to check ,you will find vac pipes in these areas.

hopefully gives you a pointer in the right direction lol

t5 stealth
Thursday 19th May 2011, 21:18
i expect someone else may have some ideas or even pics...maybe the forum picture whore pedro :)

brummie1972
Thursday 9th June 2011, 08:53
Don't seam to be any splits that I can find where would I find the idle control valve are they easy to remove and clean out can anybody point me in the right direction on where to find it and remove and clean please

AndysR
Thursday 9th June 2011, 22:26
It's not the air con compressor cycling is it? That would cause engine revs to fluxtuate... Even if the air cons not switched on it will come on automatically web the heater is set to the windscreen position...

brummie1972
Friday 10th June 2011, 08:31
Andy don't think so have had no problems with it coming on by itself. Gonna clean out the MAF today then pos do the throttle body would check the idle control valve but have not found it yet not sure where to look

brummie1972
Saturday 11th June 2011, 13:57
went out today cleaned the filter box out and MAF. No change i have just noticed that when the revs settle down and i switch the air con on it makes revs fluxtuate can somebody please help in any way they can its doing my head in now and i am no mechanic

p fandango
Saturday 11th June 2011, 14:16
maybe the forum picture whore pedro :)
not for P2 stuff afraid mate, i try not to open the bonnet on mine if i can help it lol

AndysR
Saturday 11th June 2011, 14:21
went out today cleaned the filter box out and MAF. No change i have just noticed that when the revs settle down and i switch the air con on it makes revs fluxtuate can somebody please help in any way they can its doing my head in now and i am no mechanic

The revs fluxtuate because the air conditioning compressor cuts in and out, the revs increase because the engine management compensates for the extra load the compressor creates, then when the compressor disengages the idle settles to base idle again. Generally a compressor will cycle in 30-60 second intervals depending on system and is perfectly normal...

Alan M
Saturday 11th June 2011, 19:39
Best bet would be a diagnostic check from Volvo or someone with a VCT 2000 interface or similar. That way you will be able to see what the problem is even if no codes are stored.

brummie1972
Sunday 12th June 2011, 11:37
thanks alan for the info i have decided to do that just need to find somebody with that software to help

p fandango
Sunday 12th June 2011, 11:40
thanks alan for the info i have decided to do that just need to find somebody with that software to help
if your passing by Cov i can put my generic code reader on it for you, not as accurate as a proper Volvo code reader but might give an idea if anythings stored

brummie1972
Sunday 12th June 2011, 17:45
Thanks for that keep it in mind