PDA

View Full Version : lambda light

saffronman
Friday 13th May 2011, 09:39
hi
i have recently changed my paper air filter for a itg one and my lambda sensor came on two days ago, i plugged my reader in and i got a code P0172 runing too rich, i have cleared the fault and yesterday the car drove ok with out the light coming back on, would the changing the filter for an oil soak one have alter the air flow readings enoigh to make the car run rich or am i way off here ??

steve

p fandango
Friday 13th May 2011, 12:13
if you didn't rinse the excess oil off the filter before you fitted it then yes it can throw the MAF sensor reading out, tbh it sounds like you've been lucky because it normally knackers the MAF altogether

saffronman
Friday 13th May 2011, 12:57
thanks pf,
i'll take it out tonight and try and get some of the access oil off it

siamblue
Friday 13th May 2011, 13:40
hi
i have recently changed my paper air filter for a itg one and my lambda sensor came on two days ago, i plugged my reader in and i got a code P0172 runing too rich, i have cleared the fault and yesterday the car drove ok with out the light coming back on, would the changing the filter for an oil soak one have alter the air flow readings enoigh to make the car run rich or am i way off here ??

steve

I am not sure if come pre oiled now, but they used too, mine was saturated in oil when i bought a ITG a few years back, be very careful if using cotton buds on the maf element they are very brittle. just use a alcohol spay if you can.

Gary

paullus
Monday 30th May 2011, 16:29
Have you cured it?
If not you should now check for vacuum leaks.
I got the Lambda light coming on on my 2.5T and the fault code pointed to a rich mixture which as it turned out was caused by unmetered air entering the engine after the MAF.
I originally suspected the Lamda sensor but someone here pointed me towards vacuum leaks. Sure enough the rubber elbow connector which is tucked away at the end of the inlet manifold near to the power steering pump had perished allowing air in. I replaced that and the light has never come on again.
A Lambda costs anywhere between £50 and £90, the cost of the rubber elbow was less than a fiver.
Cheers,
Steve.