PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap?

manback
Thursday 12th May 2011, 22:23
Does anyone know what engines will fitthe 850.

I have noticed hardly any for sale in good nick. I was think it could be cool to buy one and stick a modern d5 in there... If it's possible?

The Flying Moose
Thursday 12th May 2011, 22:27
Most if not all 850/70 series engines should fit into any 850 (the block at least). The problems arrive if you try to put a diesel in a petrol and visa versa, also electrical components could be an issue.

I think the D5 into an 850 has been mensioned before, as per any engine swap anything is possible but almost all of the electrical looms would need replacing to fit one, by no means a small job.

t5 pete
Thursday 12th May 2011, 22:51
IMHO its a total waste of time just buy a d5 the ammount of things that would need changing would be unreal you would have to buy a full d5 to do the swap anyway, so if its the mpg of the d5 your wanting just buy a later car with the d5 allready in

manback
Friday 13th May 2011, 10:22
im not really bothered about diesel, id just like an 850 which was rock solid reliable, so im thinking putting a modern engine in would be a good way of doing it.

obviously the 2.3, 2.4 850 engines are pretty similar to the 2.5's that the current t5's have. im just wondering if theyd fit, how much fabrication woul dbe required and also if its worth doing?

Alan M
Friday 13th May 2011, 10:27
Go for a later 2.4 T5 2005 on model engine and leave the VVT system disabled or buy/make VVT delete hubs. That way you have a later engine which are reliable and you should be able to find a fairly low mileage example. You may need to alter some engine mounts to suit.