PDA

View Full Version : t4 brake upgrade

bones717lee
Wednesday 11th May 2011, 15:58
could anyone advise me on a good brake upgrade kit for a phase 1 s40 t4? can i fit bigger brakes off another model? thanks for the help

Al115
Wednesday 11th May 2011, 17:31
Discs, good pads, fluid replacement.

Brakes off an Evo 3 (from memory) fit but aren't a whole lot better. I took them off mine.

Other than that you're into big brake kits, but really... unless you're going to track it... don't. I had Hi-Specs and they were bloody annoying, frankly!

HTH :)

jardon
Wednesday 11th May 2011, 18:02
No idea on whether you can fit bigger brakes from other models but as Alastair says the stock brakes can be made to perform well with Volvo discs, decent pads and fluid.

I have run Volvo pads, Ferodo DS2500's and now Carbotech XP10/XP8's with Volvo discs, Motul RBF600 fluid and the dust shields removed to aid cooling.

The Volvo discs are better than Brembos (rusted badly) and drilled after market discs don't like a lot of heat.

RBF600 fluid should be more than adequate - I've used it on track (just replace every year or two of you are tracking it).

Volvo pads are quiet and work well in normal driving - they fade quickly on my car if I drive hard and I certainly wouldn't go near a track with them.

DS2500's resist fade much better than Volvo pads but they were squeaky, not brilliant when cold and very inconsistent - sometimes they would grab and lock up then other times I was standing on the pedal (odd). Some people swear by them though so may be a they suit some disc/caliper combinations better.

My current pads are Carbotech ceramic XP10s up front and XP8's on the rear. The XP10's are VERY squeaky under light use but quiet when used in anger - braking performance is better than with Volvo stock pads when cold and awesome when warmed up. They resist fade better than the DS2500's and are very easy to live with when driving hard - consistent pedal feel, progressive and immense stopping power when you really ask for it. Like DS2500's they are not road legal on cars registered from 1999 as they deviate from original equipment spec by >15% (the fact that they are better by >15% is apparently not relevant).

I have no experience of aftermarket big brake kits but there are others who will be able to comment.

bones717lee
Wednesday 11th May 2011, 18:49
thanks very much for that.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 11th May 2011, 20:17
Current setup:
Brembo MAX discs
Phase 1 40 series DS2500 pads(don't make them for phaseII)
Yellow goodridge braided lines
High temperature brake fluid.

My head would hit the windscreen if I didn't have a seatbelt.

I haven't had any brake fade yet.. Must try harder!!

LiamT4
Wednesday 11th May 2011, 20:28
Surely the evo 3 brake upgrade would be a lot better than the phase 1's, after all they are 22mm bigger and the calipers are twin pots.

Won't the 280mm front discs and calipers fit off the phase 2?

bones717lee
Wednesday 11th May 2011, 21:13
i would rather a bigger brake to fill my 18 inch wheels i bit more and on a tight budget so a new kit is out of the question. does a phase 2 have bigger brakes than a phase 1?

LiamT4
Wednesday 11th May 2011, 21:19
i would rather a bigger brake to fill my 18 inch wheels i bit more and on a tight budget so a new kit is out of the question. does a phase 2 have bigger brakes than a phase 1?

Yeah, i mean they aint huge at all, but they are noticably bigger than the phase 1, 256mm vs 280mm.

bones717lee
Wednesday 11th May 2011, 21:21
just been and checked and im sure my discs are 280mm

LiamT4
Wednesday 11th May 2011, 21:25
just been and checked and im sure my discs are 280mm

Phase 1 should be 256mm, maybe its already been done.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were 280mm and still looked small on 18s, iv got 302s on my s70 and i think they'd look small on 18s.

bones717lee
Wednesday 11th May 2011, 21:33
or well never mind, new discs and pads will have to do.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 11th May 2011, 22:56
Don't quote me, but the T4 across the range has the same size discs. The centre hub seems to be different(this is what I estimate) as the phase I brakes are exactly the same fitting, but about 3mm narrower on the inside edge which is why I put them on mine.

Cheapest upgrade would be to upgrade what you've already got fitted. EVO stuff and other manufacturers equipment require may eBay searches or a fat wallet.

LiamT4
Thursday 12th May 2011, 20:26
I'v pretty sure i'v seen phase 1's with smaller front discs, as i remember thinking how small the discs were and when i had my t4 and was looking at new front discs there were always 2 sizes to choose from.
Thats what i always thought anyway but can't be 100%.

Haizum74
Friday 13th May 2011, 21:49
From 2001 they were bigger although if memory serves thats from July 2000 onwards unless I am completely off track. (Probably) And I am sure my mates P1 were smaller.

LiamT4
Friday 13th May 2011, 21:55
From 2001 they were bigger although if memory serves thats from July 2000 onwards unless I am completely off track. (Probably) And I am sure my mates P1 were smaller.

Thats what i thought, sure they looked a fair bit smaller on the phase 1's i'v seen.

lozccw
Saturday 14th May 2011, 02:17
I've got a 1998 (not T4), and mine has 280mm discs.
I think the size was changed somewhere around late 1997/early 1998??

One of the easiest and most cost effective brake upgrades you can do is simply to switch to braided hoses, and high performance fluid.

Personally I think any other type of brake upgrade will be somewhat wasted without decent hoses and fluid?

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 14th May 2011, 16:29
[QUOTE=jardon;377282]....... Like DS2500's they are not road legal on cars registered from 1999 as they deviate from original equipment spec by >15% (the fact that they are better by >15% is apparently not relevant). [QUOTE]

I didn't know that....

I've just had my car MOT'd as well. Maybe they are not working as well as I thought. Anyone got the brake spec for a 2001 V40 ?