PDA

View Full Version : ignition problem

T5frankie
Monday 9th May 2011, 19:57
right on my new s70 i can't seem to fully turn the ignition off with the key, it's like its at number 1 but its at zero this is a problem as its draining my battery things that work with the key out are windows sunroof heaters etc, anyone know what i could do to sort this out i'm having to disconnect the battery all the time i leave it, i'm next to useless when it comes to electrics lol

Jamest5r
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:08
Ive got a spare bit lol, dont know what its called but goes behind the barrell, its from an 850 dont know if they are the same?

T5frankie
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:20
Ive got a spare bit lol, dont know what its called but goes behind the barrell, its from an 850 dont know if they are the same?

a spare bit? is that the technical term jim? lol so is it something that needs replacing not repairing?

t5 stealth
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:24
the bit you got is the switch i think.
fits on the end of the ignition barrel....
when you turn the key it turns the switch ....ie acc ign start....

Tomcat
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:24
You mean the actual ignition switch?, not the barrell?. these do occationaly go and cause all sorts of fun.

T5frankie
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:29
still none the wiser what is it i have to do?

t5 stealth
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:33
yeah ignition switch,
you gota remove the plastic crap around the steering column,then its fitted on to the back end of the barrel....(the bit you put the key in)

Volvostorm
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:35
Try wriggling the key, if it 'cures' it, its the ignition switch at the back of the barrel.

T5frankie
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:37
Try wriggling the key, if it 'cures' it, its the ignition switch at the back of the barrel.

and if it don't?

t5 stealth
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:38
and if it don't?

youve still got the problem lol

T5frankie
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:42
it don't give me any other problems just wont turn everything off when i take the key out

t5 stealth
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:45
it usualy is the switch on the back of the barrel,
they do have an issue with them,so id guess its the 1st thing to check,
i expect its broken up inside and the bits are stopping it returning to off.

T5frankie
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:50
it usualy is the switch on the back of the barrel,
they do have an issue with them,so id guess its the 1st thing to check,
i expect its broken up inside and the bits are stopping it returning to off.

are they easy to replace?

t5 stealth
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:51
not too bad,

Tomcat
Monday 9th May 2011, 22:02
There's just a couple of screws on the back to undo, then it just unplugs.

T5frankie
Tuesday 10th May 2011, 18:48
Right i just swapped over the switches on the back of the barrel with no change, i took the ignition right off but still the same problem, its like it's on a permanant live everything works with no key in but the dash lights only come on when key is turned as normal, any ideas i'm stumped...........:confused:

t5 stealth
Tuesday 10th May 2011, 18:54
has the car had any other work done to it,
ie any electrical stuff,
sounds like its got a wire wrong somewhere,
power being back fed up the loom to power the ign curcuit,...
has it had sterio fitted etc. ?

T5frankie
Tuesday 10th May 2011, 18:59
has the car had any other work done to it,
ie any electrical stuff,
sounds like its got a wire wrong somewhere,
power being back fed up the loom to power the ign curcuit,...
has it had sterio fitted etc. ?

no mate standard stereo and no evidence of any tampering

t5 stealth
Tuesday 10th May 2011, 19:39
maybe the starter motor wires are touching...
something like that,
it must be getting power from another point,
if its live all the time then the only way to find it would be to remove each fuse 1 at a time and see when it puts the lights out,then see what that fuse powers,then you will know what curcuit to look at...
just a thought,have you had a tomtom or phone charger in the ciggy lighter socket,
maybe something shorting in there,
i know it goes dead when keys off but electrics can do all sorts of things,just worth checking.
and have you notice anything else thats on or acting strange on the car,as that could also point you in the right direction

T5frankie
Tuesday 10th May 2011, 20:07
maybe the starter motor wires are touching...
something like that,
it must be getting power from another point,
if its live all the time then the only way to find it would be to remove each fuse 1 at a time and see when it puts the lights out,then see what that fuse powers,then you will know what curcuit to look at...
just a thought,have you had a tomtom or phone charger in the ciggy lighter socket,
maybe something shorting in there,
i know it goes dead when keys off but electrics can do all sorts of things,just worth checking.
and have you notice anything else thats on or acting strange on the car,as that could also point you in the right direction

ive only had the car 3 days so don't know its history