PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap or valve seal replacement?

The Flying Moose
Sunday 8th May 2011, 18:52
I have a small dilemma and I would appreciate input from you all.

Basically the car is still smoking blue, the turbo has been ruled out and the PCV doesn’t smoke. It displays all the symptoms of a Valve stem seal failure, whereby the car smokes idle and when pulling away but is ok when running and occasionally puffs when you dabble with the right pedal.

Now with this in mind obviously they will need replacing or another engine putting in. The current engine has only done 135k and aside from the seals appears to be strong and in good condition. I also have a 205k engine that was removed from my T5-R after the accident. Now the engine from the R was solid and never smoked although burned about a litre of oil per month.

My question is then do I swap the current engine out for the donor from the R or do I repair the Valve stem seals?

Obviously if the valves are done it will basically need to have a top end re-build, what sort of cost is involved in doing this? Am I right in saying it can be done with the engine still in the car?

Any thought appreciated.

Cheers

p fandango
Sunday 8th May 2011, 18:53
why don't you just swop the heads over instead of the whole engine

The Flying Moose
Sunday 8th May 2011, 18:57
why don't you just swop the heads over instead of the whole engine

Ok stupid question now... can that really be done?

If so that sounds really easy, I hadnt even thought about it. I take it you need only replace the gasket when you change them?

Tomcat
Sunday 8th May 2011, 18:58
For the amount of work involved I'd recon the top end, I can't see any point in replacing one tired engine with another, fraid I can't comment on the cost but I doubt it'd be more than the cost of a headset(unless of course the valve guides are worn). I think personaly I'd take the head off the higher mileage head and refurb that then you can keep the car on the road until you've got time to swap it over.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 8th May 2011, 19:01
Ok cheers TC.

Does anyone know the price of re-furbing a head? Also can it be done by a competant home mechanic or is it best left to a garage?

Certainly seems the most viable option as I could forge the bottom end at another time and effectively overhaul the whole engine but without the expence all in one.

p fandango
Sunday 8th May 2011, 19:01
Ok stupid question now... can that really be done?

If so that sounds really easy, I hadnt even thought about it. I take it you need only replace the gasket when you change them?
can't see why not. Best to replace the belts as you've got to take them off anyway, & new headbolts

Tomcat
Sunday 8th May 2011, 19:07
Sure it can be done, you can check the valve guides yourself when you replace the valve seals, if there's too much side to side movement of the valve then the valve stems would need to be replaced.

Jamest5r
Sunday 8th May 2011, 19:14
Take the head off the older engine and get it fully redone, will cost you about £150 all in for cash if you get it over here or i can meet you when your back im regualy in the Lincs area for work at the moment, i will take it to the place that just built my engine and has done Smithys last two blocks and currently fitting his forged internals :)

Edit.. ive always thought the valve seals are a weak link on these engines when adding larger boost levels, personnaly ive had 3 engines do it to me.

Volvostorm
Sunday 8th May 2011, 19:24
Mine was doing the same thing, it was at 133k, we found it had 11thou of wear the the bores.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 8th May 2011, 19:29
Take the head off the older engine and get it fully redone, will cost you about £150 all in for cash if you get it over here or i can meet you when your back im regualy in the Lincs area for work at the moment, i will take it to the place that just built my engine and has done Smithys last two blocks and currently fitting his forged internals :)

Edit.. ive always thought the valve seals are a weak link on these engines when adding larger boost levels, personnaly ive had 3 engines do it to me.

Thanks James thats very much appreciated. If it can be done for £150 professionally then it seems daft not to have it done! I very much appreciate the offer, we will have to sort something when I get back to the UK.

Out of interest how long does it take to have one rebuilt?

T5frankie
Sunday 8th May 2011, 19:35
i have the exact same dilemna with my v70

The Flying Moose
Sunday 8th May 2011, 19:42
i have the exact same dilemna with my v70

Are you thinking about going down the same route? Seems £200 for a recon and gaskets plus a days work is a small price to pay.

T5frankie
Sunday 8th May 2011, 19:45
Are you thinking about going down the same route? Seems £200 for a recon and gaskets plus a days work is a small price to pay.

yeah mate was hoping to get it done before york but run out of cash

Volvostorm
Sunday 8th May 2011, 20:15
A head re-con, I'd say takes a day or 2, depending on whats needed.

Santa
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:06
How did you kill your car from the Falklands?

Jamest5r
Monday 9th May 2011, 20:12

RAF are pretty accurate these days :)

t5 pete
Monday 9th May 2011, 21:15

It will cost more than £50 for the gasket set then theres the timing belt and surpantine belt if you can get the head done for that price i would have a rough geuss at £300-£350 with new head bolts

The Flying Moose
Monday 9th May 2011, 21:18

A good question but one I feel has a simple answer!

Im affraid it was dead before I left but Dean has been able to confirm its the Valve seals for me whilst Ive been away.