PDA

View Full Version : Bearing in mind?

blunders
Sunday 8th May 2011, 12:04
Hi to everyone.

Can anyone please help me?

My 53 plate v70 has developed a strange noise from the front (i think o/s). The noise gets louder the faster I go and does not follow the engine noise (revs) and also is there when I select neutral while moving.

I have just jacked it up and checked all 4 corners for any movement on the bearings but they all seem ok.

I have also test driven the car and have found that the noise seems to go when turning right, which again would point to wheel bearing, but as I said they seem to be ok when jacked up.

Happygilmore78
Sunday 8th May 2011, 15:11
Sounds exactly like mine did, well as you are describing anyway.

I had no play in mine either buddy, but was exactly the same and turned out to be the wheel bearings. Was just my front right one that was knackered, but replaced both at similar times as they were of same age.

They say if the noise is coming as you turn one corner direction, it is the opposite bearing that needs replacing - so as yours is moaning when it goes round right turns, it will be the left.

They are 60ish quid each from partsforvolvoonline.

blunders
Sunday 8th May 2011, 19:04
Yeah I thought it had to be, it just boggled me when all the symptoms are there but as I said when jacking it up you'd expect the classic tel tale signs.

Thank you for your time and help with this.

thewoodster
Sunday 8th May 2011, 20:02
your not forced to have the same symptoms when the cars jacked up because there is no load on the bearings.

Happygilmore78
Sunday 8th May 2011, 20:26
No worries, i know what you mean, I have always been able to feel play in the bearing on my other cars that they were knacked on, but this time was different.