PDA

View Full Version : This looks broken

manback
Wednesday 4th May 2011, 21:15
But would it explain why can only get 8psi even with the wastegate actuator disconnected?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/helmutvs/570e8279.jpg

p fandango
Wednesday 4th May 2011, 21:23
WOW that don't look good, hate to suggest this but has anything got thru & into the engine itself

silverswedemachine
Wednesday 4th May 2011, 21:29
that looks like its been through a sand storm!!

p fandango
Wednesday 4th May 2011, 21:30
that looks like its been through a sand storm!!
thats more than sand, i'd say its had a bolt rolling round in there

PHIL V70R
Wednesday 4th May 2011, 21:31
But would it explain why can only get 8psi even with the wastegate actuator disconnected?

thats f**k....thats 4 sure....:worried:

p fandango
Wednesday 4th May 2011, 21:34
thats f**k....thats 4 sure....:worried:
did you get your bulb covers?

T5frankie
Wednesday 4th May 2011, 21:36
i was so close to making a similar mistake when i fitted my turbo bolted it all up then dropped a socket into the top hole on the turbo ££££££££ had to undo all four bolts and take the turbo right off again i wasn't even sure it actually went down the hole better to be safe than sorry though eh?

Volvostorm
Wednesday 4th May 2011, 21:37
Mmmmm, That turbo has been chomping on something it shouldn't have!

manback
Wednesday 4th May 2011, 21:50
Has anyone got any pics if how it should look?
Does it definatly need replacing? What's the cheapest I can do that for?

Volvostorm
Wednesday 4th May 2011, 21:57
I'm going to guess it a stock 15g turbo?

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=1401

shrekblackR
Wednesday 4th May 2011, 22:19
That's not good man was there any noise coming from it like a metal rattle ??

manback
Wednesday 4th May 2011, 22:53
It's standard as far as I know.
Not rattles but it has started whining like a siren!

Flatout Phil
Thursday 5th May 2011, 08:27

That looks like a stone-age turbo - Fred Flintstone stylee.

scr8pdo
Thursday 5th May 2011, 09:33
It sure looks ££££ed that mate, I dont know if this could occur through the recirc valve not working as this can cause the turbo to stall and chatter although I cant see it damaging like that though I recon something has gone through that like a stone, nut/bolt etc, but for sure its scrap now

Tomcat
Thursday 5th May 2011, 10:06
If it's a 15g I have a spare compressor wheel if you want it.

JelT5
Thursday 5th May 2011, 10:44
i was so close to making a similar mistake when i fitted my turbo bolted it all up then dropped a socket into the top hole on the turbo ££££££££ had to undo all four bolts and take the turbo right off again i wasn't even sure it actually went down the hole better to be safe than sorry though eh?

I thought that sort of thing only happened to me Frank lol glad I'm not alone!

To the OP: that is definitely not healthy and needs sorting; you should notice a marked improvement once it's done!

PHIL V70R
Thursday 5th May 2011, 11:08
did you get your bulb covers?

yes mate not had chance 2 fit them as yet lol..pm me what u want 4 them..cheers:wiggle:

manback
Thursday 5th May 2011, 14:51
If it's a 15g I have a spare compressor wheel if you want it.

£?

im taking the reciv valve off tonite. a guy at work says although the edges are badly warn the veins are still in tact and are the right shape so i should be able to get some decent boost out of it. especially after i ran it without the waste gate connected!

Justin
Thursday 5th May 2011, 14:56
I'd replace the whole turbo personally, its certainly had a pasting by something.
Breakes will have them on the shelf, try continental car breakers in Doncaster :)

The Flying Moose
Thursday 5th May 2011, 15:23
I have to agree with Justin on this one, by the time you have payed for the parts to repair it then it would be cheaper to source a good used turbo.

15G's regularly go for as little as £30. I have one sat in my garage you could have had but unfortunately im out the country till mid June.

Tomcat
Thursday 5th May 2011, 15:57
Have a look at it, could well be that both wheels are knackered. If it's just the front however then your more than welcome to this spare I have, it's just sitting in the shed

thewoodster
Thursday 5th May 2011, 16:45
hi, ive only owned my t5 for a few weeks but prior to this i owned a 330 bhp cosworth for nine years , i havent had much time to tinker yet as we have just moved house but i assume that the turbo on the t5 is oil cooled as it is on the cosworth and if thats the case i would deffo be changing the oil and filter because all those tiny fragments of turbo veins have had to go somewhere and could have damaged the oil seals and now be floating around you engine ( believe me ive see it happen) , i have seen my fair share of buggered blowers but never seen one quite as chewed up as that and it has obviously been caused by a foreign object, only my opinion but the last place i would be putting that would be back on the engine, there are plenty of turbo centres around that could recon it for you, i dont know where abouts you are but midland turbo in nottingham have always been good to me and my cossie mates, i had a garrett t3 reconned a couple of years ago with a new 360 degree bearing and also had the impeller blades "cut back" to enable a quicker spool up and i pulled 18psi allday long with no probs , i had to have this done after i sent 3 of the impeller blades shooting straight down the exhaust manifold and are probably still sat in the exhaust to this day!!!!!. i would suggest that this is probably a safer route that buying a second hand unit as you could then end up with two buggered blowers.
like i said this is only my opinion but after sitting in the backgroud for a couple of weeks now while we moved home i thought it was time i got involved with this forum,

thewoodster
Thursday 5th May 2011, 16:51
me again , i have just reread this thread , the damage could not have been casued by a faulty recirc valve causing chatter (turbo stall) my cossie used to chatter like a £££££££ but this is just the blades "chopping up" air stuck in the induction pipes and that turbo has been chopping more that air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T5frankie
Thursday 5th May 2011, 16:59
yeah they are water and oil cooled

thewoodster
Thursday 5th May 2011, 17:03
yeah they are water and oil cooled
nice one thats what i thought .

manback
Thursday 5th May 2011, 22:04
ok. Firstly thanks to everyone who contributed.
I have the recirc valve off (5 min job, despite what I have read)
There is a hole in the rubber diaphragm, I'm having a blanking plate fabricated at work this evening so I should be able to prove this is causing my boost losses. As for the damage, i imagine something has got in there, possible from one of the many rebuilds.

The car is off to heaven in august anyway so I'm reluctant to spend money on it. It would be cool if It could just go in a blaze of glory!

Cheers

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/helmutvs/e666b602.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/helmutvs/89add9c0.jpg

thewoodster
Thursday 5th May 2011, 22:17
oh well if thats the case mate just wind the actuater rod right in and give it some beans that`ll make the ****er boost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

manback
Thursday 5th May 2011, 22:31
oh well if thats the case mate just wind the actuater rod right in and give it some beans that`ll make the ****er boost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been trying that with the manual boost controller to no avail so far! ;)