PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way fix badly rusted wheel arches?

Axl
Monday 2nd May 2011, 11:56
A mate suggested an gel rust remover then an orbital sander (which I dont have so would need to buy) with 400g w/dry, then cataloy/putty, certain kind of primer and paint. Ive never did one before and dont want to make an rs of it....then again, I know you'll never get the same finish from a can than a gun, and is also all down to how good/bad the prep is

p fandango
Monday 2nd May 2011, 11:59
if its the front arch i'd be tempted to change the wing. If its the rear then yes sand it back, rust treatment & use Zinc182 primer, worked well on a Nova which is a good test for rust lol

Axl
Monday 2nd May 2011, 12:04
Sorry should have said, its the rears...

Zinc primer....thats it, I couldnt remember what kind......do I really need a orbital sander or would the rubber block ect work

p fandango
Monday 2nd May 2011, 12:13
Zinc primer....thats it, I couldnt remember what kind......do I really need a orbital sander or would the rubber block ect work
a rubbing block won't go deep enough, i normally use a Black & Decker mouse or similiar

claymore
Monday 2nd May 2011, 12:15
You don't need an orbital sander to do a small repair like that, and if you do the job properly ther's no reason why you shouldn't get a perfect finish with rattle cans.

Flatout Phil
Monday 2nd May 2011, 19:49
A rusty 850??? What did they do to it???

PHIL V70R
Monday 2nd May 2011, 22:28
needs one f yor dress covers phil.....

Axl
Tuesday 3rd May 2011, 08:52
a rubbing block won't go deep enough, i normally use a Black & Decker mouse or similiar

I'll try and get one and see how I go, it'll be my first time doing something like this.

No idea, its there and thats that

JelT5
Tuesday 3rd May 2011, 11:58

By similar do you mean Black & Decker grinder?

:D

JelT5
Tuesday 3rd May 2011, 11:58

Must be a Ford lol

woz
Tuesday 3rd May 2011, 21:53
.. and check everywhere else as well. if its been used for launching boats in the briny etc. then rust will be everywhere in which case get rid quick.

Rust on these old girls is rare except where used in salty places or after poor accident repairs.

Any Haynes manual will spell out how to do it or get a book on paintcraft from the local library or find some old classic car mags with articles.

nobananas
Thursday 5th May 2011, 20:28
To be honest, if rust has got set in the only permanent repair is to cut out and weld in a new section (ask me how I know !). Second best if the rust is surface with light pitting is to clean back to bare metal then use a spot blast gun with some aluminium oxide to clean the rust out of the pitting. You can then use a 'rust remover' type gel (never been convinced by them to be honest) then prep, prime and top coat as you would normally and cross your fingers !.