PDA

View Full Version : Dripping radiator and oil in water

james
Monday 2nd May 2011, 09:07
morning all , yesterday i noticed a wet patch on left side of floor underneath car directly underneath radiator, i did notice a small patch other day and put it down to coolant left in the undertray leaking out after i took top hose off to get to vac line on side of inlet manifold.

the hoses are on correctly and when i force the plastic from around side of rad i get more coolant coming out

ive read on here that the oil cooler lines crack inside the radiator and i may need a new radiator but this post was about an auto will mine be the same??

i have no water in the oil but oil in the expansion tank

can anybody help me with this and which radiator to buy

cheers james

p fandango
Monday 2nd May 2011, 09:15
both manual & auto cars are prone to the oil cooler splitting, you've got an additional cooler on the lefthand side of the radiator for the gearbox as well

i got mine from Nissens & been fine

james
Monday 2nd May 2011, 09:19
hi thanks for the reply , would it be a safe bet to replace both? isnt the other cooler for the air con? i take it its a bumper and plastic front end piece off to do this ? no chance of dropping rad down or up?

james
Monday 2nd May 2011, 09:21
sorry just seen what you said about gearbox cooler lol silly me

p fandango
Monday 2nd May 2011, 09:28
hi thanks for the reply , would it be a safe bet to replace both? isnt the other cooler for the air con? i take it its a bumper and plastic front end piece off to do this ? no chance of dropping rad down or up?
no the aircon is bolted to the front the radiator but is a separate unit, the gearbox & oil coolers are built into it & simply plug the pipes into it. Removal is done from inside the engine bay LINK (http://volvospeed.com/volvo_repairs_how_tos/engine_repairs/turbo_radiator_replacement.html)

james
Monday 2nd May 2011, 09:40
thanks for the link :) do i need a special tool to remove the oil cooler line?

p fandango
Monday 2nd May 2011, 09:58
thanks for the link :) do i need a special tool to remove the oil cooler line?
you can prise them off with a screwdriver, its a good idea to get new clips beforehand as 9/10 they break

james
Monday 2nd May 2011, 10:07
ok cheers for the help :)