PDA

View Full Version : C70 how fast?

djsc70
Thursday 28th April 2011, 11:07
Hi there, just bought my first Volvo a 2.4T C70 GS, at the moment i'm a bit dissapointed with the performance, i was expecting it to pull my face off when i put my foot down but it doesn't. The only other turbo car i've owned was a Renault 5 turbo and that was manic.
I just wonder how powerful/fast this car is supposed to be, is it a LPT car?
Any info' much appreciated.
Cheers

t5_monkey
Thursday 28th April 2011, 11:19
If it's the 2.4 T it'll be running about 200bhp?

Get a good stage zero - these 5 cyl engines are smooth, and deceptively quick so it probably wont feel as mad as your Renault 5 even if it is as quick.

Al115
Thursday 28th April 2011, 11:57
Yes it's an LPT and no they are not that fast. Should drive reasonably nicely but don't expect drama!

Also remember that it weighs about twice what your 5 did...

lance
Thursday 28th April 2011, 12:28
A remap should see about 240 BHP and loads more torque

djsc70
Thursday 28th April 2011, 13:20
240 HP sounds fun, but i have other problems to look at first. Just checked the plugs, and while 3 were lovely and brown the other 2 were completley white, guess i've got a fuelling problem.
I'm thinking low fuel pressure due to old fuel filter or maybe injector problems, is there anything else that could be at fault?
Is there a known problem with 4 and 5 cylinders fuelling wise ? (last 2 cylinders gearbox end)

Al115
Thursday 28th April 2011, 14:08
Nothing "known" that I've come across. The injectors are normally super-reliable, I've never heard of a problem with them (the spray patterns do degrade as they get older/dirtier, but not to the point of bad fuelling). Check fuel pressure first up, start with the filter as you say, as it's a service part. Good luck!

t5_monkey
Thursday 28th April 2011, 14:33
get some injector cleaning fluid in the tank, that made a bid difference on mine recently.

A new K&N Air filter and an oil change, and you should be getting there :)

Remap will make a big difference.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 28th April 2011, 15:12
Is there are reason you didn't want the T5?

djsc70
Thursday 28th April 2011, 17:40
To be honest i didn't want a C70, i was looking for a CLK Merc' but found i couldn't get the kids in the back.
So i was going through the cars on Ebay and saw a C70 loved the shape of it, found one i really liked, 2.4 non turbo, and went to get that from Chesham. Unfortunatley someone drove it away 10 min's before i got there. Luckilly i had a second choice car from another dealer in the area and that's what i got!.
I would probably have walked away from it if it wasn't for the fact that my car was playing up and i didn't like the idea of being stuck on the hard shoulder of the M40 on the hottest day of the year so far, with the wife and kids giving me earache!
But it may not be the car i wanted but i like it more every time i drive it.
Also i didn't know what a T5 was. Learning more and more about them now though!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 28th April 2011, 18:15
Didn't know!! LOL - We'll learn ye!

Stick some V-Power in your tank & see the difference (wallet empties quicker). ;)

T5frankie
Thursday 28th April 2011, 18:58
if you like the c70's and want more power sell it lol and get a c70 t5 get it mapped to see 270bhp ish yours has 193bhp

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 28th April 2011, 19:14
The LPT 2.4 engine only boosts to around 6 psi, and thats at 4800rpm, from there the ecu backs off the boost. A remap will sort that out, it makes quite a difference.

djsc70
Thursday 28th April 2011, 20:31
Mmm, a remap sounds good, but i need to get it running right as it is first. So i guess it,ll be a fuel filter and see where we go from there.
Gonna invest in a code reader within the next week or so, then i can really find out what i've bought!!

volvokid
Thursday 28th April 2011, 21:28
Honestly sell it and buy a T5 you wont look back, there cheap too! Ask Wobbly Dave about performance his would probably blow your 5 out the water, doesnt cost much to give them a basic tune either

Chad
Friday 29th April 2011, 08:05
Here is what Rica can offer you.....

http://www.rica-uk.com/viewcar.aspx?vehicle=95

also available is an optional softloader. This will allow you to chop & change between standard and the map at your own leisure. Or if you need the software tweaking, you can sync and update the software via the Rica server. Saving you travelling to/from a Rica dealer.

hope this helps

Chad

wegal
Friday 29th April 2011, 10:02
Any Volvo is a good car, you will find your car grows on you, the best seats in the world good sterio, smooth drive, etc etc.

The T5 is a lot more powerful, but its also a lot more thirsty. Get it remapped for a few hundred quid and you will see a big difference. We are mainly T5 and R owners here, but we also are not snobby about it. Youve bought a good car brand and now you have volvo in your blood be prepared to never be happy with any other car.

If someone on here is local to you see if they will take you out in their T5 or R, but be prepared to want one really really badly :-)

lance
Friday 29th April 2011, 10:41
I have to say some folk prefer the smooth earlier spool up of a LPT to a full blown T5 and to be honest below 70 MPH a well driven LPT isnt going to be much slower in the real world!

Dangerous Dave
Friday 29th April 2011, 11:14
I have to say some folk prefer the smooth earlier spool up of a LPT to a full blown T5 and to be honest below 70 MPH a well driven LPT isnt going to be much slower in the real world!

I have to agree with this, the turbo sn't that much smaller, its the ecu that restricts most of the performance.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 29th April 2011, 11:38
I will quite happily show you my C70 T5 if you like

smithy
Friday 29th April 2011, 13:58
with a remap the lpt will be faster than a standard t5 no probs and because of the smaller turbo early spoolup

T5frankie
Friday 29th April 2011, 14:14
yeah agreed with smithy it will have around the same bhp as a t5 but quite a bit more torque up to 50nms more than a standard t5

djsc70
Friday 29th April 2011, 21:37
Thanks for the info' and advice guys. Tbh i'm just releived that it's not supposed to be that fast, at least i know there's nothing major wrong with it.
The thought of all those extra horses under there is very tempting, especially as they're so easy to release, but petrol aint getting any cheaper, and i need to run this car every day, so i'll leave it alone for now. Besides i need to get it running properley, get the pigsty of an interior cleaned, and make an attempt to make it look at least half as good as the other gorgeous C70,s that are on this forum!!
If i can figure out how to do it, i will post some pic's up this weekend.
Cheers and enjoy the long weekend.

smithy
Friday 29th April 2011, 23:51
Thanks for the info' and advice guys. Tbh i'm just releived that it's not supposed to be that fast, at least i know there's nothing major wrong with it.
The thought of all those extra horses under there is very tempting, especially as they're so easy to release, but petrol aint getting any cheaper, and i need to run this car every day, so i'll leave it alone for now. Besides i need to get it running properley, get the pigsty of an interior cleaned, and make an attempt to make it look at least half as good as the other gorgeous C70,s that are on this forum!!
If i can figure out how to do it, i will post some pic's up this weekend.
Cheers and enjoy the long weekend.

the car will be better on fuel after the remap mate mine was

andy72
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 14:03
Sorry, old thread but new member.

My recently purchased 2.4T C70 feels quite good actually. Book figures say 193bhp, 7.6 to 60 and 143mph top end,a lthough real world is a lot diferent.

I gave mine some heavy right foot from standing the other day and was pleasantly suprised. It felt much quiker than the figures suggest. Mid range is a bit lacking, you really need to get the auto to drop a few cogs and then it does go, but more smoothly than aggresive punch in the back style. You still reach illegal speeds very quickly though.

I fancy a remap but dont want to stress anything as it runs fine as it is. Any quicker and i'll be collecting points in no time. Its certainly no sports car, but a brilliant grand tourer

Dave86
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 17:40
Nice looking motor do like the saffron coloured ones its good to see another c70 about :)

t5_monkey
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 17:51
remap will work wonders.

Taking care of the basic stage 0 (injectors etc...) may well make it feel more lively too.

Strut Brace is a must.

andy72
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 18:19
ive read about scuttle rattle on the cabs but mine seems to have a funny rattle inside the steering column,almost like the column is loose (which it isnt). Is this the infamous scuttle rattle? Only happens on certain angles of turn on a slightly bumpy road.

It needs a good service, even though its got a FSH up to 4K ago. Currently on 83K

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 18:22
ive read about scuttle rattle on the cabs but mine seems to have a funny rattle inside the steering column,almost like the column is loose (which it isnt). Is this the infamous scuttle rattle? Only happens on certain angles of turn on a slightly bumpy road.

It needs a good service, even though its got a FSH up to 4K ago. Currently on 83K

your car aint a convertible though is it?

andy72
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 22:38
your car aint a convertible though is it?

No its not but i was wondering if it affects the coupe as well, even though its prolific on the rag top

t5_monkey
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 22:52
shouldn't scuttle but strut brace will sharpen up from the front a fair bit.

Bushes and dampers could be worn which won't help.

andy72
Wednesday 6th July 2011, 22:57
had a weird one off fornt brake sticking issues last week (front NS caliper stuck on - hasnt done it since) so going to take it to a local indy to give the once over and empty my pockets. Will get him to check out the rattle.

Few niggles need sorting but nothing that makes me hate it. (think my antenna ring or fuel pump relay is on its way out too)