PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change S40

Haizum74
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 14:42
Ok, as a complete novice when it comes to cars and their mechanical bits and pieces I have decided to do my own oil change and would be grateful for some advice for my S40 and what I need to do. To some it may be as easy as changing your undies but gotta start somewhere (if you imagine OAPs and computers then you get the idea). I nearly took car to the garage to change sparks until I decided to give it a bash, easy as pie lol.

I have read quite a bit of info and there appears to be conflicting stuff about flushing and not flushing, using synth oil and not on older cars, having the oil temp at x, y or z before emptying it. So, HELP!

Oh and while I am under there I was going to check the Turbo as there is a small oil leak, so any info on what to check for possible leaks would be great too.

wegal
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 14:54
LOL.. its very very easy, forget all the bull you read. You can do it hot or cold, personally i do it "warm" or you risk getting burned from the oil. if the sump is warm to the touch its fine, if its cold its fine. Its a Volvo not a ferrari after all

1) buy good quality oil, your handbook will tell you what type, or failing that ask the guy behind the counter at the car shop, they have a book that will tell them. I wouldnt buy any of the 0 rated oils they are crap. Just a good quality semi synthetic will be fine.

2) Buy an oil filter

3) buy something to catch the old oil in

4) Remove drain plug from sump, have your oil catcher in place, dont worry you will miss and you will drop the drain plug in the old oil. And the oil will run down your arm. We ALL do that.

5) let it finish running out

6) remove old oil filter, you may need a filter remover if its very tight, you can either buy one for a couple of quid ( literally ) from the car shop, or you can get a long screwdriver and smack it through the filter to start the undoing process.

7) dont drop the old filter.. it makes a mess

8) open your new oil and put a small amount around the rubber seal on your new filter, screw back on and hand tighten its tight enough when you grunt

9) Clean the drain plug on a rag. Put your drain plug back in... VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!

10) add the correct amount of oil.

If you want to flush the engine, and i personally ALWAYS flush the oil the use wynns engine oil flush, just follow the instructions on the tin.

It will take you all of about 30 mins, and 25 mins of that will be letting the oil drain out of the sump.

Good luck and dont be scared of it. When its all back together just have a quick check for oil leaks around the drain plug and new filter, but you should be fine

And if your really stuck..im and hour down the road.

stu_850t5
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 15:13
good helpful post there! love the torque settings for the oil filter............'when you grunt'! lol im laughing because its true!

hopefully that helps haizum get sorted.

stu

Al115
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 15:26
Great writeup, two suggestions:

1. better with warm oil than cold by far, as more of the crap old oil will run out (less viscous at temperature);
2. don't lose the sump plug washer off the drain plug, better still fit a new one (you might well get one included if you buy a genuine filter).

Have fun.

Haizum74
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 15:27
LOL.. its very very easy, forget all the bull you read. You can do it hot or cold, personally i do it "warm" or you risk getting burned from the oil. if the sump is warm to the touch its fine, if its cold its fine. Its a Volvo not a ferrari after all

1) buy good quality oil, your handbook will tell you what type, or failing that ask the guy behind the counter at the car shop, they have a book that will tell them. I wouldnt buy any of the 0 rated oils they are crap. Just a good quality semi synthetic will be fine.

2) Buy an oil filter

3) buy something to catch the old oil in

4) Remove drain plug from sump, have your oil catcher in place, dont worry you will miss and you will drop the drain plug in the old oil. And the oil will run down your arm. We ALL do that.

5) let it finish running out

6) remove old oil filter, you may need a filter remover if its very tight, you can either buy one for a couple of quid ( literally ) from the car shop, or you can get a long screwdriver and smack it through the filter to start the undoing process.

7) dont drop the old filter.. it makes a mess

8) open your new oil and put a small amount around the rubber seal on your new filter, screw back on and hand tighten its tight enough when you grunt

9) Clean the drain plug on a rag. Put your drain plug back in... VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!

10) add the correct amount of oil.

If you want to flush the engine, and i personally ALWAYS flush the oil the use wynns engine oil flush, just follow the instructions on the tin.

It will take you all of about 30 mins, and 25 mins of that will be letting the oil drain out of the sump.

Good luck and dont be scared of it. When its all back together just have a quick check for oil leaks around the drain plug and new filter, but you should be fine

And if your really stuck..im and hour down the road.

Great stuff, thanks very much for that. Friday will be D-Day (or O-Day) so fingers crossed it goes swimmingly (although not in oil)

Is it a one handed grunt or two?

JelT5
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 15:39
Is it a one handed grunt or two?

Two handed job always works for me :D (oooer etc)

p fandango
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 15:59
i had a scary moment the weekend when i found 5 new genuine Volvo oil filters in the garage, yet i don't think i've ever changed BT's oil so not sure how i got them lol

stu_850t5
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 16:22
not even when you had that little spilliage? lol

wegal
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 17:13
One handed or two handed grunt.

This is where it gets a bit clever, you see the car manufacturer ensures that you attain the correct torque setting for the filter by limiting the space around it. If you can get two hands on it then its a two handed grunt, if only one hand fits in the space then its a one handed grunt.

And we all think that they have no thought as to how we will work on our cars and put things where you cant reach them. Its really about making sure we dont over tighten things :-)

p fandango
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 19:23
not even when you had that little spilliage? lol
good point, must see how much is left. Might treat her to a new filter as i've already got one & some fresh oil lol

Haizum74
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 20:11
Handbook says 5.7 litres oil. Am I reading that right?

Al115
Thursday 28th April 2011, 09:42
Yes. If you drain everything.

Haizum74
Thursday 28th April 2011, 10:39
Yes. If you drain everything.

She's a greedy cow then!

Haizum74
Friday 29th April 2011, 19:42
Well thats another job done and learnt. Took 2 and a half hours though, that was mainly me getting the fear of going under a car on axle stands (night out and hangover from last night didnt help that). Sump bolt was on tighter than a ducks bum. Took two of us to get it off lol. Oil Filter was the same and as I forgot the Oil Wrench had to take a trip to Halfrauds.

Still all good and back it went on to 'grunt' tightness. Jobs a good un.