PDA

View Full Version : My 855R manual - update

Giles
Friday 22nd April 2011, 23:45
As many know, i have had many issues with my 855R manual since purchase......something i never want to experience again......

First, the actuator was knackered so i bought an 18psi one. This only would work safely when connected directly to the turbo and I got 14-16psi which was ok.

I managed to swop it today with Pedro for his 19T actuator and I tested it and it was set to 6psi. I then installed the MBC and after a few rounds of the block, set it to run 14-16psi.

I also have RICA installed.

TBH i think it is crap. Pedro and Si850R (who were both there today :) )both commented that in conclusion, the car was fine and was boosting ok. It only seems to go well when being absolutely hammered, and believe me, when you do, it flies. Low down rev stuff, it boosts to 14psi but seems to me, gutless. You simply have to use the high revs to get the most out of it.

In conclusion, they basically said I am used to the spool-up of the 15G and the auto kick-down which is what I miss.

I plan to set the actuator to about 10psi and see what happens. I want a steady 18psi and am currently getting a steady 14-16psi.

I actually think the 1.2bar actuator seemed more full-on at higher revs than the 19T replacement, and provided more of a 'whoooosh' when boost was building, but I have a chance to fiddle with the 19T one and see what i can get out of it. Plus the ECU may have to re-learn a few things.

In short, i get a steady 16psi with no spikes and the car only flies when being absolutely caned. Pedro thinks that with the hype build-up of manuals over auto's that I was expecting too much. Think he is right. If I had a choice on car, it would be a RICA'd 15G Auto using the Volvo BCS or MBC. I got 14.221 @ 97mph out my old 850 T5 auto........

And Pedro and Si850R both witnessed 2nd gear popping out today.

leet5r
Friday 22nd April 2011, 23:47
a mbc gives loads of low down touqre which whats gives you the kick , but a remap trhe power is through the rev range makin a nice smoth power curve

Giles
Friday 22nd April 2011, 23:49
a mbc gives loads of low down touqre which whats gives you the kick , but a remap trhe power is through the rev range makin a nice smoth power curve

maybe I should try the 19T actuator with the BCS then?

leet5r
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 00:06
the bcs doubles the boost m8 s

Giles
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 00:08
the bcs doubles the boost m8 s

so why have an MBC? I think i should just try the BCS again and see the difference.

leet5r
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 00:17
the standars boost on a t5 is 10psi but the actuator is set at 4 iirc so with the remap the remap only adjusts the fuelin and the rasise the fuel cut , the percon who remaped the car should have tweeked the actuator.
if it was me ad set the actuator to 10 psi and stay with the remap , been fast is all about been smooth and the mbc are not smooth
i run a mbc as am having trouble with my bcs etc

Giles
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 00:21
the standars boost on a t5 is 10psi but the actuator is set at 4 iirc so with the remap the remap only adjusts the fuelin and the rasise the fuel cut , the percon who remaped the car should have tweeked the actuator.
if it was me ad set the actuator to 10 psi and stay with the remap , been fast is all about been smooth and the mbc are not smooth
i run a mbc as am having trouble with my bcs etc

I am going round in circles here....like the OP......end up being back to where i started with is standard with a remap! I can vouch that for me, MBC's are not raw instant power....far from it....unless I am doing something wrong? I think that if i want M5 power, i should buy an M5 lol.....

leet5r
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 00:30
wel ya could just turn it up , av had my boost gauage piontin to the temp gauge once or twice and no bend rods yet

Giles
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 00:32
wel ya could just turn it up , av had my boost gauage piontin to the temp gauge once or twice and no bend rods yet

LOL.....ok - have turned the actuator up 1 turn which may be 2.5psi? I shall see what happens tomorrow......what psi you running then? Had mine up to 22psi last week lol

leet5r
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 00:57
theres a dyno plot on here somewhere which a boost plot , sure its 20ish the drops to 15 , could 22 tho lol , if a didnt have the mbc it wouldnt hit 20 psi tho

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 01:26
An MBC on a standard map would have thee effect of instant power increase due to the higher boost pressure achieved. But on a remapped car, the boost is already increased so an mbc will only have a slight effect (usually in the lower rev range as on ecu control the actuator is always controlled, but with an mbc it would be closed completely until the limit was reached)

p fandango
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 06:39
so why have an MBC? I think i should just try the BCS again and see the difference.
nothing wrong with trying it, but the BCS builds up the boost gently so won't be anywhere near like you've got even now. The turbo's not spooling quick enough for you & the only way you'll solve that is 15g or other mods to go with the 16t mate

smithy
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 11:47
if you get a volvo r.i.p kit it will reduce the piping lengh and make the car more aggressive and hamish has got a map on record that james had on his car that transformed his car and its for an 850 with a 16t fitted.the car was very fast with that map on.its a custom 16t map.you can also take the plastic lump off the tb and solder or weld the 2 little holes up,that will make the car even more aggressive too.but the r.i.p does not give you more power just changes the way the car drives but the map will give you more power.hope this helps