PDA

View Full Version : Keep blowing my MAF sensor

Friday 22nd April 2011, 19:51
Hi all I had my car for 3 weeks now, first week ran fine with no problems, 2nd weeks started miss firing and smoking, changed leads, plugs, rotor arm and cap, turned out to be MAF sensor, put it on and ran fine for a week, then the same problems started happening, got a sensor under warranty and it ran perfect for all of 15minutes! Then blew again! Please help! Also I have no engine management light on? Not even on ignition? Mine is a M reg t5 should it have one?

Any help would be great as at the moment I've disconnected the MAF sensor and am getting 11mpg!

nobananas
Friday 22nd April 2011, 21:29
Can't see how you can blow a MAF sensor. They have a 12v feed but it's off the same circuit as the injectors and many other components (thinking overcharging alternator here but I would think you would see other problems). One option is that the MAF's are aftermarket and not up to scratch (have you tried a genuine one, even a second hand unit ?) another option is that the MAF is getting contaminated somehow, possibly from oil (if the engine is breathing a bit) or maybe from an over excessively oiled cotton/foam air filter. I have also seen a foam filter shedding and dropping pieces into the intake that then stick to the MAF hot wire.

Saturday 23rd April 2011, 01:55
Hi I don't mean blow as such but just becomes faulty quickly? The one I purchased was a Bosch sensor which I believe is what Volvo would issue me anyway?

Alan M
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 14:02
A fault code usually appears and shows itself as a management light on the dash when the MAF becomes faulty. Does your management light illuminate on startup and have you read the codes? What colour smoke do you have from the exhaust? Have you cleared any old stored codes before running the new maf?

Saturday 23rd April 2011, 17:07
Hi blows black smoke when idling sometimes, cleared the codes after researching the codes, thinking thus is more a faulty ECU now??? Is very temptermental! Sometimes runs fine, no smoke at all then might be sitting at a set of lights and it'll start smoking and misfiring!

Alan M
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 18:13
Sounds more like a fueling related issue which is linked with the MAF. Have you checked your fuel rail regulator? You can check fuel pressure at the rail with a gauge of some sort on the Shrader type valve. The regulators have a diaphragm in them which can become worn or damaged with use and age.

siamblue
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 18:39
I wonder if your 02 sensor is starting to fail? be careful because you will knacker the cat with the unburnt fuel,

Gary

Saturday 23rd April 2011, 23:18
If it was fuel pressure regulator it would do it all the time wouldn't it? Tonight it's ran perfect, no hick ups at all. Don't need to worry about the cat as I ain't got one lol I've now put 4 MAF sensors one so it definitly ain't that. Also found today that 8 bulbs have been taken out the dash! Not impressed! On of which was the abs light which is now one :-( the car doesnt seem to be as economical as it was, and smokes a little when boosting in first? White smoke not very dense but noticeable.

woz
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 23:25
do you want to flog a MAF sensor that is apparently OK?
PM if so - I need to get Lusty going again quick - I do 2k miles a month and thats no fun in the 1.1 Metr0)
Cheers
Woz

Alan M
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 23:31
Read your codes.

Sunday 24th April 2011, 18:10
After changing the MAF sensor again the car is behaving a bit better, cleared all the codes and after driving only one code now comes up, 232 which i believe is PVC system? Looked at this and all pipes are on, pulled it off and no oil came out so thinking just a oil change? As now it's blowing slightly blue smoke on idle? If the oil is crap then more will pass through this system triggering the sensor ??? Just a theory lol

Alan M
Sunday 24th April 2011, 21:01
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/850_2-3-1_Fault_Code.pdf

Sunday 24th April 2011, 22:42
This is a very good link :-) so hopefully it is just dirty oil! Oil is black and I've planned to change it since I've had it, changing it tomorrow so will let you know the results :-) wish me luck

hd9584
Sunday 24th April 2011, 22:53
Check the pipe that runs from the pcv on to inlet manifold (left hand side by the power steering pump). The elbow usually goes and throws up that fault code. If the pcv system need doing I would wait until it's done before doing the oil change. Do you get smoke form the dipstick tube when the car is running?

Monday 25th April 2011, 08:32
Erm not to sure at the dipstick, I'll have to check. Is thhe PVC system just the black box?
What's the best oil to use?

hd9584
Monday 25th April 2011, 23:29
The pcv is the box and all the pipes attached to it. When doing this you also need to make sure the PTC valve is clear as well. When the car is running take the dipstick out and if you have smoke coming out of the tube then the pcv neeeds sorting out. Either semi or fully synthetic 10w40 oil is best.

Wednesday 27th April 2011, 06:51
What do you do with the box and pipes? Change them? And what's ptc?

JelT5
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 07:09
You should be able to get he whole lot from Rufe @ FRF for a good price.
It's worth doing the pcv system as it can cause the rear main seal to blow, if it's clogged up. The pipe running from the box to the intake pipe on the turbo can get really brittle too.
The inlet manifold can be a bit of a git to get off- 1/4 inch drives and a couple of UJs for the sockets + a 10mm ratchet spanner will do the job though :)

Alan M
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 07:36
I'd have a good look over your boost hoses also for good measure as you may have a major boost leak.

hd9584
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 10:13
You renew the box and all the hoses. The PTC valve is on the pipe that runs from the maf to the turbo. It's close to the turbo end with two pipes coming out of it, one large and one small diameter. These are part of the pcv system the large pipe attaches to the box and the smaller one goes to the inlet manifold by the power steering pump.

Thursday 28th April 2011, 18:16
Great advise guys! Thank you so much for your tine and patients! I have got smoke coming from the dipstick, will I was there I pulled the plugs back out and after a week they are completely black! Pressure tested the engine and all cylinders are good :-) need this sorted now as my running costs are ridiculous as well as fixing it. Now to get this pcv set :-)

Thursday 28th April 2011, 18:19
Also, I'm using the car over the bank holiday so won't be able to get the parts most probably, us there a way of by passing this filter to work?

Thursday 28th April 2011, 18:24
And also how much am I looking at for this system? :-)

hamish
Thursday 28th April 2011, 18:40
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON CHANGING YOUR PCV SYSTEM AT THE MOMENT. THAT IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

Regards,
Hamish.

hamish
Thursday 28th April 2011, 18:49
Fault code 232 is a long term fuel trim.
YOU HAVE A MASSIVE AIR LEAK ON THE INTAKE SYSTEM.
Check all the intake pipes, then the vac lines, and if that car still has it's stupid dump valve blank it off with a bit of broom handle. If that doesn't work check again for air leaks on the intake system because that's all that's wrong.

Regards,
Hamish.

P.S. If it's anything else I'll buy the beers if I'm right you buy the beers !!....Cheers!

Thursday 28th April 2011, 19:12
I keep checking the air pipes and I can't find anything???? All clips are tight and can't see no splits in the pipes? It's still having random misfire sessions, runs fine then might smoke and misfire for a few minutes then settles again??? This car really is doing my head in! Hamish I wish I lived near you! :-(

Jamest5r
Thursday 28th April 2011, 19:19
Might be worth the tank of petrol to see him or "break down" a couple of miles from your house and get recovered to Hamish, if he's wrong at least you get free beer :)

hd9584
Thursday 28th April 2011, 19:29
Hamish is correct 232 fault code is long term fuel trim, caused by an air leak somewhere. The elbow on the left hand side of the inlet manifold is a common weak spot (part of the pcv system) the last three of my 850's had this fault at one time or another. Check and see if yours is intact if not Volvo do a repair elbow for a few quid. Have a look at this link as it shows where it is located. http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27706&start=0

woz
Thursday 28th April 2011, 23:55
Yup all true. I got one too. No point in changing parts willy nilly until you have checked the basics - and work from the code thats what they are for - to save you time and money ( or rather to save your volvo dealer time and money so thay can make more profit from you)

Woz.
p.s. whats a nilly anyway?

siamblue
Friday 29th April 2011, 02:38
Get over to me tomorrow and i will have a look at it for you, I am in Ilford IG1 1RG

Gary

Friday 29th April 2011, 08:58
After clearing the codes a few days ago, I haven't got any codes coming up anymore? Will give you a call in abit as it's a bit early still lol

Friday 29th April 2011, 15:43
Problem sorted guys! With the help of siamblue my car is perfect once again! Turned out to be lambda sensor! Bloody thing! Very very much appreciated! Will defo see you again soon!

siamblue
Friday 29th April 2011, 19:49
Problem sorted guys! With the help of siamblue my car is perfect once again! Turned out to be lambda sensor! Bloody thing! Very very much appreciated! Will defo see you again soon!

Glad we found the problem and i had the spares to sort it out, you do have a very nice car there, but the ****** that sold it to you should be held too account,
I have never seen a 02 sensor rattling about inside like yours was, also to other members here, the LSH 25 V70 T5 4pin lambda will work on the 850 and the 70 series, you just have to trim the edge of the connector then it will slide into the 850 retainer,

Will be great to meet up again sometime then you can go out in my R, it is so much faster now i have changed the tyres and it still doesn't spin up,

see you soon mate and have a good weekend in Pompey ;)

Gary