PDA

View Full Version : Engine help

Tomcat
Friday 22nd April 2011, 14:16
Got a wierd noise on the engine of the 850, sounds like a dry bearing but the engine isn't knocking. At first I thought it was probably just a dry bearing on the alternator or the power steering pump, however it sounds more like it's coming from either the back of the engine or the underneath. If it were a spun bearing how feasable would it be to replace the bearing/bearings with the engine still in place?, not really wanting to swap the engine out at the moment.

Car seemed to drive ok last time I attempted an MOT, noise is still there will driving but you can only hear it with the bonnet open...

Any guesses?

Oh, also drained off the excess from the gearbox today, was at least a litre/ litre and a half over filled.....Sheesh..

Volvostorm
Friday 22nd April 2011, 14:55
Whip the fan belt off, and try it again, that will rule out the P/S pump and alternator.

Could be coming from the cambelt area, the tensioner pulleys, or water pump

Tomcat
Friday 22nd April 2011, 15:03
I know I sort of thought that myself but having had a proper listen in, under around the engine and it doesn't sound like it's coming from the front. That said I will attempt to motivate myself enough to remove the aux belt.....just to be sure.

nobananas
Friday 22nd April 2011, 17:49
Is it a manual TC ?. If so does the noise change at all when operating the clutch ?. If it goes away when the clutch is down then it could be a gearbox shaft bearing, if the noise gets worse when pressing the clutch it could just be the release bearing but whip off that aux belt first !

Tomcat
Friday 22nd April 2011, 17:55
Nope, it's a slushmatic.

nobananas
Friday 22nd April 2011, 18:01
Nope, it's a slushmatic.

Never mind !. Hope it's nowt to do with the gearbox then 'cause that WILL be trouble !

Tomcat
Friday 22nd April 2011, 18:07
Me too being as I've just drained nearly a litre and a half out of it that it had been over filled by.