PDA

View Full Version : Tyre thoughts again!!! 205/45/17

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 19th April 2011, 15:42
At present I am running Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta on Titans on the R (215/40/17) - all well and good. However, when I get the Volans refurbed, I want a new set to go them - and being as it should have 205/45/17 on there - and I had been running Pzero on them before, I am in a quandary as to what to do.

If I want to be original and stick with 205/45/17, then Sessanta are not made in this width. I would be looking at Vredestein Ultrac Senso - I think Jerry (I hope you pick up soon mate) runs these.
These are other options:
Continental Sport Contact 2 or 3
Yokohama S-Drive
and of course many, many others.
Vredestein are cheapish, but I DON'T KNOW WHICH WAY TO TURN!!!

I don't really want Wan King type cheapo brands - the R is beautiful and I don't want to stint on cheap rubber. But I don't want to go mad either.

If you have any thoughts on 215/45/17 on a W rating - post them up.

Or maybe I just stick to the 215...???

p fandango
Tuesday 19th April 2011, 16:07
personally i stick with the widest i can, going from 205 to 225 made a vast difference to the grip level

JelT5
Tuesday 19th April 2011, 16:15
personally i stick with the widest i can, going from 205 to 225 made a vast difference to the grip level

I have to agree with this (sadly lol). If I could get away with running a wider tyre I would Phil; traction is a massive problem in the shed, when it's working (lol again). I'd definitely go for 215s.
However if you don't, the Centos are ok, but, with hindsight I wish I'd bought a set of Yokos or Avon ZZ3.

Edit: Thanks for the good wishes Phil...another 28 days on antibiotics ahead of me now + I have to have 8-12 weeks clear of infection before they'll operate :( It's too dangerous to go stirring around in there if there's any chance of anything dodgy. Bit of a 'mare mate.

p fandango
Tuesday 19th April 2011, 16:18
cheeky sod lol

T5frankie
Tuesday 19th April 2011, 16:25
I have yokohama parada spec 2's in 215 40 17's have to say these are an awesome Tyre and look really good and are really cheap at 70 quid each with only an extra fiver for delivery from Tyretraders.co.uk and 40's look so much better on 17's than 45's

t5_monkey
Tuesday 19th April 2011, 16:35
I'm a complete Conti Contact Sport 3 fanboy after having them on my car! Wider deffo better, I totally noticed it going from 205 to 225.

worth every penny... don't be a footballer turning up to the game with the wrong shoes :)

Dave86
Tuesday 19th April 2011, 21:51
I've recently fitted falken FK452's (i think ) on the front if my c70 their 225/45/17 91 or 94 Y bought off camskill £70 odd a piece plus a tenner delivery only been on for about 2000 miles but seems quite good dont tend to spin up much unless im doing it on purpose and good on the bends. So far so good, although probably could of got better but im tight/skint lol.

siamblue
Tuesday 19th April 2011, 22:19
I have yokohama parada spec 2's in 215 40 17's have to say these are an awesome Tyre and look really good and are really cheap at 70 quid each with only an extra fiver for delivery from Tyretraders.co.uk and 40's look so much better on 17's than 45's

No wonder your 1/4mile times are so fast lol,

I am running 225/45/17 Vredesteins all round on mine and i never get any wheelspin in the dry, excellent tyres in the dry and the wet.

Gary

AndysR
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 21:50
I had the Pzero's on mine in the 205 but due to a couple of tyre related faults wanted something other than Pirelli. So I decided to go up a tyre size and broaden my horizons. I now have Yokohama Parada spec 2 with the higher load sidewalls and by comparison to the Pirelli's they are night and day. Needless to say I'll be going for the same again when I need to.

T5frankie
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 21:55
No wonder your 1/4mile times are so fast lol,

I am running 225/45/17 Vredesteins all round on mine and i never get any wheelspin in the dry, excellent tyres in the dry and the wet.

Gary

if you cant wheelspin in the dry then there is something wrong with your car mate mine spins off the power in second in the dry, 45's just make your wheels look too small, and ive never raced with my paradas on the front just falkens

Flatout Phil
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 22:48
I had the Pzero's on mine in the 205 but due to a couple of tyre related faults wanted something other than Pirelli. So I decided to go up a tyre size and broaden my horizons. I now have Yokohama Parada spec 2 with the higher load sidewalls and by comparison to the Pirelli's they are night and day. Needless to say I'll be going for the same again when I need to.

This looks interesting Andy. I can only find one spec on these- where did you get yours from?

t5_monkey
Sunday 24th April 2011, 02:47
Wheelspin depends on a few things as well as the tyres, if you're shocks and engine mount are a bit tired, that'll make it spin up easier... strut brace really damps down wheel spin too.

T5frankie
Sunday 24th April 2011, 09:28
Wheelspin depends on a few things as well as the tyres, if you're shocks and engine mount are a bit tired, that'll make it spin up easier... strut brace really damps down wheel spin too.

i have a powerflex mount and a strut brace i think gary must have them also

T5frankie
Sunday 24th April 2011, 09:33
This looks interesting Andy. I can only find one spec on these- where did you get yours from?

yokohama 45's

http://www.tyretraders.com/tyresearchresults.aspx?width=215&ratio=45&rim=17&man=Yokohama&flat=False&filter=Price&ftype=Ascending&pricing=1&cat=All&speed=All&Loading=All&tyreType=All

yokohama 40's

http://www.tyretraders.com/tyresearchresults.aspx?width=215&ratio=40&rim=17&man=Yokohama&flat=False&filter=Price&ftype=Ascending&pricing=1&cat=All&speed=All&Loading=All&tyreType=All

search around you wont find these yokohama paradas cheaper anywhere delivered iv'e looked came in 1 working day and you cant moan at only a fiver for delivery

siamblue
Sunday 24th April 2011, 11:21
if you cant wheelspin in the dry then there is something wrong with your car mate mine spins off the power in second in the dry, 45's just make your wheels look too small, and ive never raced with my paradas on the front just falkens

It never spins in the dry, only when the roads are greasy then it spins, i am now looking at downsizing a wee bit too 215/40 but i feel my car will then spin up which defeats the object,

Does anyone have that link too the website for comparing tyre percentages?

Gary

PS Maybe someone has nicked your M59 and put a M56 in its place lol..

T5frankie
Sunday 24th April 2011, 12:03
It never spins in the dry, only when the roads are greasy then it spins, i am now looking at downsizing a wee bit too 215/40 but i feel my car will then spin up which defeats the object,

Gary

PS Maybe someone has nicked your M59 and put a M56 in its place lol..

lol it spins both front wheels gary not one mbc is set at 20psi though

Flatout Phil
Sunday 24th April 2011, 16:01
yokohama 45's

http://www.tyretraders.com/tyresearchresults.aspx?width=215&ratio=45&rim=17&man=Yokohama&flat=False&filter=Price&ftype=Ascending&pricing=1&cat=All&speed=All&Loading=All&tyreType=All

yokohama 40's

http://www.tyretraders.com/tyresearchresults.aspx?width=215&ratio=40&rim=17&man=Yokohama&flat=False&filter=Price&ftype=Ascending&pricing=1&cat=All&speed=All&Loading=All&tyreType=All

search around you wont find these yokohama paradas cheaper anywhere delivered iv'e looked came in 1 working day and you cant moan at only a fiver for delivery

Very much appreciated Frank! Cheers, Phil.

Yosser
Sunday 24th April 2011, 18:03

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

:B_thumb:

T5frankie
Sunday 24th April 2011, 18:33
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

:B_thumb:

according to that my wheels are turning an extra 30 revolutions per mile so over 10000 miles my mileage reading must be over by ???????