PDA

View Full Version : Lost Power on S40 T4

Haizum74
Friday 15th April 2011, 14:06
Ok, a technical question. I have lost power in the car when putting the power pedal to the floor so could someone direct me in possible causes and also if I need to check pipes are all ok etc, where I need to look. Not got my Haynes manual yet and as a novice I dont want to be fiddling under the bonnet and make things worse.

She doesnt have that grunt that she had last week.

Cheers!

stevie69
Friday 15th April 2011, 14:12
i had something like that on my t5.just cleaned and gapped the plugs and fingers crossed its fixed it..posted the code reader first class this morning so you might get it tommorow..

Haizum74
Friday 15th April 2011, 14:47
i had something like that on my t5.just cleaned and gapped the plugs and fingers crossed its fixed it..posted the code reader first class this morning so you might get it tommorow..

Aha, excellent thanks for that. Its pointing towards the plugs the more I ask questions, so I will see what the code(s) come back with and sort the plugs.

LiamT4
Friday 15th April 2011, 16:31
How much less power? Is it a constant lack of power or intermittent?

Haizum74
Friday 15th April 2011, 18:16
How much less power? Is it a constant lack of power or intermittent?

Well its still jumping like before but now there isnt that kick back into the seat as it had previously, thats gone (I even tried the VPCUK sticker and it hasnt gone faster lol) I still keeping in mind what you mentioned but read a few times that some people had this and turned out something had come loose. Just wondered where to start doing my own self diagnosis. Got vpcuk code reader coming tomorrow all been well so that should give some indication. Just hope its not a load of codes, lawks.

Cheers

LiamT4
Friday 15th April 2011, 19:52
There quite a few things that can cause those types of problems from dodgy maf sensors to boost leaks from old pipework or even cracks in the intercooler. Hopefully you'll know more after you've red the codes.

GazT4R
Friday 15th April 2011, 20:22
How old are the plugs? Are all the tips of the plug ok? Sounds a bit like spark blowout which can happen when the plug degrade, usually the tip disappears.
Other than that it could be a number of things a pointed out. They are however fairly simple compared to the ME7 engines. Plugs being the first port of call. Get geniune Volvo if they look suspect, can't say I've found anything better.
Doesn't sound like a MAF failing since it's on boost problems and they usually play up all over the place especially at idle however it can't be ruled out.
Coil packs you can check swapping them over (only two on a T4 though) after changing the plugs but you need to be able to monitor misfires to see if they move cylinders (if it is indeed misfiring).
Is it boosting correctly? TCV could be dodgy if not but your symptoms would suggest more a fuelling/spark issue.
Fuel pump. If your spark is ok (coil and spark plug check) then is it getting enough fuel when on boost. Fuel pressure regulator? (usually they are pretty bulletproof though).

I'd check the plugs first then work on from there.

Haizum74
Friday 15th April 2011, 22:03
How old are the plugs? Are all the tips of the plug ok? Sounds a bit like spark blowout which can happen when the plug degrade, usually the tip disappears.
Other than that it could be a number of things a pointed out. They are however fairly simple compared to the ME7 engines. Plugs being the first port of call. Get geniune Volvo if they look suspect, can't say I've found anything better.
Doesn't sound like a MAF failing since it's on boost problems and they usually play up all over the place especially at idle however it can't be ruled out.
Coil packs you can check swapping them over (only two on a T4 though) after changing the plugs but you need to be able to monitor misfires to see if they move cylinders (if it is indeed misfiring).
Is it boosting correctly? TCV could be dodgy if not but your symptoms would suggest more a fuelling/spark issue.
Fuel pump. If your spark is ok (coil and spark plug check) then is it getting enough fuel when on boost. Fuel pressure regulator? (usually they are pretty bulletproof though).

I'd check the plugs first then work on from there.

Well, went out for a drive to fuel up about an hour ago and she was back on it, didnt give her too much but she pulled. Cant work it out. Seems intermittent now that happened. Before it was as though the turbo wasnt coming in to play. Plugs are first port of call, hopefully tomorrow.

Haizum74
Saturday 16th April 2011, 11:42
Ok, read codes, came up with *drum roll*

DTC - 00
I/M - N

Went into DTC Menu just to check and No codes

LiamT4
Saturday 16th April 2011, 20:16
Thats annoying when that happens, at least having some codes would have gave you a clue.

Haizum74
Sunday 17th April 2011, 10:39
Thats annoying when that happens, at least having some codes would have gave you a clue.

Yeh it is. Also noticed the 3 litres of oil I put into the engine 2 weeks ago has dropped. Only leak I can see is back right which I assume is the Turbo.

Haizum74
Sunday 17th April 2011, 14:42
Woooooooo! That sorted it. :ukliam2:

Got em changed and sorted throttle cable too as per thread on here. Totally different car now, pulls like hell and silky smooth accelerator pedal. Well chuffed. There was some oil covering the threads on the plugs attached to coils though. Not a load and was clean looking down into plug housing.

Now got to find out if the oil leaking is from the turbo and what to do with that. Still, am a happy chappy